PDA

View Full Version : Considering being a dork. WoW gold....

Sillywilly
11-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Is buying gold against the rules in WoW? How likely are you to get caught? I'm just not in the mood to spend any time farming for money to buy gear n shit in a game I may completely drop at the end of the month.

1000g goes for about 4 bucks which would help alot with some of the minor gear neccessaities as a complete noob.

Ziel
11-26-2010, 01:22 PM
You have at most a level 20ish warrior, right? Buying gold at this point would be a waste of 4 bucks. There's nothing worth spending money on that you won't out-level in a couple of days and you should be getting more than enough G to buy your mount and skills without needing to farm at all.

Though if you're still inclined to waste the cash, it's also a ban-able offense. I'm not sure how frequently people get caught, but everyone I know who's bought gold has ended up getting penalized for it.

Boxy Brown
11-26-2010, 02:15 PM
I've bought gold time and time again in about every game I've ever played and I've never been so much as warned. I've ebayed about 20 wow characters in my day and bought gold on every single one and so far nothing.

Bragi
11-26-2010, 02:31 PM
It's easy as shit to make gold in WoW, especially now. I wouldn't waste the money, unless you're going to go way overboard and buy 10k or more. Even then. . . . not worth it. . . . .

Sillywilly
11-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Ah ok. Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll just wait and see if I have any serious gold problems before I risk it. Any tips on the best way to make gold in wow? Is there a particular tactic?

Ziel
11-26-2010, 03:18 PM
There's a few things you can do to make it easier...

- Get bags wherever you can. The more you can carry, the more you can sell when you find a vendor.

- They might have integrated this into the game by now, but if not, find an addon that tells you the value of an item in it's tool-tip. This way you know what to keep and what to drop if your bags get full while questing.

- Pick up a gathering profession or two (skinning + mining/herbalism). Unless something's changed, most of the lower resources sell decently for your level in the AH. Obviously skinning requires the least effort, because you can skin what you had to kill anyway, but even without going out of your way to find mining nodes or herbs, you should find enough cross your path to make some good gold.

- Don't spend gold on weapons, armour or enchantments before 80. The gear you get as quest rewards and drops should be more than enough for levelling.

Zavon
11-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Well, for one, if you played on my server I could hook you up with a little gold here and there. Also, I could probably help you with gear depending on what type of character you have (or even run you through instances). Other than that, the best way that I know how is to pick up inscription, alchemy, or jewelcrafting. Alchemy doesn't pay as much right now because its the end of the expansion, however inscription and JC can still make pretty solid bank. The only catch with JC though, is you don't start to make serious money until its maxed out. Inscriptionist can make money at all levels.

Sillywilly
11-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Ah ok thanks. I'm on the Ravenholdt server, its what the wow players suggested for an RP-PvsP server. If my characters ever stop getting lost in dropped connection limbo I'm gonna try to do alot of battlegrounds and see if I want to stick with it.

Norska
11-26-2010, 04:24 PM
I've also bought gold numerous times in my past mmo career, and including wow. I've never so much as gotten a jew nigger educational email. However, the last time I played, which was right before i basically stopped gaming bout a year ago, gold was so easy to come by and prices had been reduced so much on skills/mounts that I was never poor.

Lvling, with skinning and mining, was enough to get all my skills, mounts, and constant green w/ occasional blue gear upgrades from the AH. BC/WotLK content throws gold at your face, hell it grabs you by the hair and shoves your face into it and says "DO YOU WANT MOAR GOLD?! HUH?! DO YA?!" The wotlk dailies give 200-250 straight up gold, not counting all the useless shit you can sell.

It's not like the wow of old. It got to the point were I was literally buying vanity items and collecting mounts because that much gold served no real purpose. In vanilla, it was hard to maintain even 100g with constant endgame farming and crafting. You'd spend so much money on gear repairs, pots, and consumables if you did hardcore raiding that it was a constant drain.

In wotlk I created an alt, paid newbies to create the alts guild, kicked them all out, bought every single guild vault expansion, and had it filled with potions, ammo, food and other consumables for my main. And I still had more cash than I knew what to do with. That said, it is nice to have a 10-20g breathing room on a new char, to get good bags and buy all your skills right off the bat.

ambivalent
11-26-2010, 08:51 PM
I say buy it. Seriously. Unless you're getting your cash from collecting bottles along the side of the road, what is $4? Really? Skipped one stop at Tim Horton's or McDonald's and you've more than paid for the WoW gold.

I've bought gold in every game I've ever played. I even donate on the private servers I play on. To me, I'd rather not be bothered. Especially with prices being as low as they are now. Just use a reputable service like Swagvault and you're fine.

I've never been caught and never been warned. It's fine and any fear is simply paranoia.

Spend the $4, you'll be that much happier until you get closer to end game.