PDA

View Full Version : EVE thread

VKhaun
05-16-2011, 10:51 PM
After changing my mind a bunch of times (like I usually do when I start an MMO) I've decided I really, REALLY, like missiles and speed in EVE. This leaves me with only one ship option: Cerberus. Which is actually a big relief. Spent a lot of time arguing with myself about the Sacrilege, Damnation, and Curse, weighing armor tank vs damage vs EWAR, but after reading about the Cerberus' range and speed it was a done deal.

Going to start Veekz off as a miner just to sell raw minerals for profit, but with just enough skill to make my own ammo for the cerberus. Then I'll let the skills to fly the ship train up while farming.

Did any of our buddy pass people decide to stick with EVE?

Valec
05-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Did any of our buddy pass people decide to stick with EVE?

Haven't even made an account yet.. not likely to with the limited nature of the trial.

Draconian
05-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Been playin pretty heavily since you hooked me up a few days ago. Not really sure wtf I'm doing in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not lost on how to play and accomplish things. Went Gallente cause I was in a French-Revolution sort of mood, working on core and drone skills mostly. I was focusing on shield stuff, but I read a bit more and seems Gallente is more apt at armor so might have to readjust things in a bit, but for right now I used a remap to go heavy on Int/Mem and just gonna keep cranking away on core and drone probably to 5's.

Havn't found an incredibly great way to make ISK yet, first couple days were all missions and some mining, just started ratting in 0.5/0.6 tonight and that went ok - more fun and got much better loot but still kinda slow on the overall ISK gain. Read a bit about farming anomalies so prolly will refit and try that tomorrow. I've probably earned about 7-8 mil total since I started, spending most of it on skillbooks that I didn't get from the tutorial chain and put +1 implants in each attribute. Need to start making money though cause a few books I need are lots more mil. =P

Can't decide what big picture goal I'm going after, but I like the idea of having a crapload of drones in some sort of mid/large size ship and participating in some fleet battles.

VKhaun
05-17-2011, 01:17 AM
To make money through combat you have to salvage all the wrecks and sell the salvage to players. The salvage is light, and you can use a shuttle to carry it around to get the best prices once you have a lot of it.

Send a message to Veekz Vex tonight and I'll send you some ISK, if some random person hasn't hooked you up already.

Ziel
05-17-2011, 03:56 AM
Always wanted a Curse...best looking ship in Eve, except for maybe the Black Widow.

Can't remember if this was posted here or somewhere else...

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Also...

http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

And...

http://evemon.battleclinic.com/

You're welcome.

Draconian
05-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Added you to contacts, I'm Gehn - won't be on til later tonight tho. I'd deff take a loan to get some better implants, with the intent to pay ya back! (Unless you've got billions in which case share the wealth!)

Ero Elohim
05-17-2011, 04:33 PM
I liked my Ishtar back in the day. Fielding ridiculous waves of drones for all occasions was fun.

VKhaun
05-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Added you to contacts, I'm Gehn - won't be on til later tonight tho. I'd deff take a loan to get some better implants, with the intent to pay ya back! (Unless you've got billions in which case share the wealth!)

I'm going to sell a bit real quick, and then send you an even 3mil. That'll be almost all the money I have, but I'm watching a 22day skill timer count down for Gallente Industrial V before I'll need to buy anything at all, so don't worry about paying me back, and if you need more I can liquidate some ore to send it to you.

Now I just need to find a TV series (http://mmo.catacombs.com/showthread.php/1339-TV-series?p=18021#post18021) worth my time on Netflix.
I haven't paid any real attention to TV in years...

I liked my Ishtar back in the day. Fielding ridiculous waves of drones for all occasions was fun.

I really like drones, too. Once I can fly my Cerberus I'm going to try and get in good with the Gurista so I can use their line of drone/missile ships. I like all three, and the drones bring a lot more depth to them then the Cerberus.

VKhaun
05-17-2011, 11:59 PM
derp accidental close

Draconian
05-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Bleh if 3mil is your total bankroll don't worry bout it man, haha, that's not that much! I would feel horrible taking that, seriously please don't send it lol.

The patch coming Thursday apparently makes it much easier to get missions from agents at various places, so I'm hoping I can get into some more lucrative mission runs and get more than 10-20 loyalty points for each one on these shit -18 and -15 ones I can get now. We'll see.

Also, should I just be selling dogtags when I get them from killin NPCs, or should I hand them in somewhere specific?

Ero Elohim
05-18-2011, 07:57 AM
I really like drones, too. Once I can fly my Cerberus I'm going to try and get in good with the Gurista so I can use their line of drone/missile ships. I like all three, and the drones bring a lot more depth to them then the Cerberus.

The nice part about drones is that they're versatile - you can field different types or sizes for different enemies, unlike guns you can always keep five small drones on hand and be well-off against frigate-size ships, since the Ishtar's drone bay is enormous - and they're damn near impossible to counter unless you have smartbombs. Targetting them takes time because they're small, and you can always recall them back into your hold and send them out again to clear locks on them. On top of that, they don't have any impact on your ship's power grid or slots, so you can run drones as weaponry and use your high slots on things like energy vampires, which then contributes to keeping your tank up.

They're often the target of nerf cries for this very reason, though, so this may have changed in the time I haven't been playing.

VKhaun
05-18-2011, 12:38 PM
They're often the target of nerf cries for this very reason, though, so this may have changed in the time I haven't been playing.

The drone bay capacities on the wiki's are wrong/inconsistent/noted in the description as having been nerfed, and I've heard people refer to various ship drone bays as being 'smaller now' a bunch of times. So they probably did a general drone nerfing at some point.

VKhaun
05-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Going back to 'VKhaun Vex'.

With so many skills helping eachother, and such a vast game to move items across it seems silly to wait 22 days on a character for a skill that won't apply to my main. Same plan, same ships, just a different contact to add for those who give a shit.

Draconian
05-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Wait what? I'm confused on why you had a 2nd char if your plan was the same.

You want your 3mil back to this other char? I've been doing better paying missions since they changed the agents around, and been making some good cash, so I think I'm on a sustainable path, and handing it back would only delay me from any purchases for maybe a day of active play.

VKhaun
05-20-2011, 01:14 AM
If it really isn't helping you, I could buy an Omen. I'll have the skills for it before I go to bed since I was going for amarr cruisers before making Veekz, and it'd be a better miner then the destroyer I have now.

The Iteron series wasn't going to work out... with only one turret their capacity was meaningless. I was sitting there for ridiculous amounts of time just trying to fill the little one. No sense waiting 22 days for the giant one that fills just as slowly. I'm headed for strip mining vessels now, and using conventional ships until I qualify.

Draconian
05-20-2011, 02:43 AM
Bahhhhhhh can't transfer money from a trial account. I plan on activating but I've been holding off because I've seen nothing that says I get to keep my free 21 days (err 14 or w/e is left) as part of my activation.

Is there a way to trade items easily? I can save up the high value stuff I've been getting from salvaging... I think I could get at least 2mil, prolly 3 of that tomorrow night when I play. Or if you know for sure/from experience that I'll keep my free gametime on top of activation, then I'll just do that.

VKhaun
05-22-2011, 12:26 AM
I had trained VKhaun up previously to use Minmatar ships. Got bored with mining and rigged up a thrasher with 280mm Howitzers. 7.6 or something damage mod. Max damage ammo. Seven firing simultaneously. Enemy frigs are automatically instagibbed at 10km. LOL

Ero Elohim
05-22-2011, 04:07 AM
I had trained VKhaun up previously to use Minmatar ships. Got bored with mining and rigged up a thrasher with 280mm Howitzers. 7.6 or something damage mod. Max damage ammo. Seven firing simultaneously. Enemy frigs are automatically instagibbed at 10km. LOL

My one regret about my character is that I started Gallente. As much as I learned to love the rather ridiculous flexibility of drones, I really liked the idea of making a sniper ship; Gallente ships are all drone floats or blaster boats, and cross-training all the skills for rails or artillery plus the faction skills to actually fly the damn ships is a bear.

VKhaun
05-22-2011, 04:19 AM
My one regret about my character is that I started Gallente. As much as I learned to love the rather ridiculous flexibility of drones, I really liked the idea of making a sniper ship; Gallente ships are all drone floats or blaster boats, and cross-training all the skills for rails or artillery plus the faction skills to actually fly the damn ships is a bear.

You'd have to get deep into the numbers to have that discussion. I don't see any ship on the wiki with damage and range for large hybrid turrets, but railguns have such sick range you might not need it, and you wouldn't want to give a range bonus to the high dps blasters people use more often. Deimos will give you 50% damage and 50% falloff if you'll play down at medium turret levels, but only on five turrets max.

Ero Elohim
05-22-2011, 02:29 PM
You'd have to get deep into the numbers to have that discussion. I don't see any ship on the wiki with damage and range for large hybrid turrets, but railguns have such sick range you might not need it, and you wouldn't want to give a range bonus to the high dps blasters people use more often. Deimos will give you 50% damage and 50% falloff if you'll play down at medium turret levels, but only on five turrets max.

Going off the EVEWiki, it looks like Gallente do have two ships able to be outfitted for sniping. The Deimos, as you mentioned, and the Megathron - which is apparently one of the best sniper ships in the game. Hrm. Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts.

VKhaun
05-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Going off the EVEWiki, it looks like Gallente do have two ships able to be outfitted for sniping. The Deimos, as you mentioned, and the Megathron - which is apparently one of the best sniper ships in the game. Hrm. Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts.

Kronos?

Ero Elohim
05-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Kronos?

Fuck the Kronos, and fuck all Marauders. I tend to fly solo piracy, so my thoughts on ships that are entirely too expensive to lose are always negative. Marauders aren't enough of an increase over standard Battleships that they're worth flying, especially when you could buy ten Megathrons for the cost of one Kronos.

VKhaun
05-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Fuck the Kronos, and fuck all Marauders. I tend to fly solo piracy, so my thoughts on ships that are entirely too expensive to lose are always negative. Marauders aren't enough of an increase over standard Battleships that they're worth flying, especially when you could buy ten Megathrons for the cost of one Kronos.

How do you make money on solo piracy? You don't automatically get ISK for killing people unless they have a bounty on their heads, right? Do you bring salvaging stuff and get something good from player ship wrecks? Piracy guides talk about ships being worth more or less to take out but they're not specific.

Ero Elohim
05-23-2011, 12:06 AM
How do you make money on solo piracy? You don't automatically get ISK for killing people unless they have a bounty on their heads, right? Do you bring salvaging stuff and get something good from player ship wrecks? Piracy guides talk about ships being worth more or less to take out but they're not specific.

There's basically two ways to do it:

1) You hunt down people and hope they drop decent shit. ORE Barges are a favorite target. They only have a handful of drones for defense, and most miners don't know the nuances of drone combat, plus they tend to drop strip miners - which are worth a few million each.

2) You hunt down people, blow away all their shields and armor, and open a message window when their structure is dropping. Ask for twice the market price of the ship and you'll stop firing. This is the ideal outcome, but most people don't trust you to stop firing - thanks to some real stupid pirates who ask for ransoms and then keep shooting anyway.

Piracy isn't extremely profitable, though. Solo piracy even less so, since a solo pirate can't take on bigger fare, being too vulnerable to cruise around in a big ship yourself. About the best you can do as a solo is fly a HAC, which mostly limits you to taking on frigates, cruisers, and maybe a badly-flown battlecruiser. A "good day" in solo piracy is breaking even. It's fun as hell, though, and nothing makes you feel like a true badass like opening that ransom convo with a rowdy taunt.

VKhaun
06-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Bump.

Anyone still playing? Update?

I left and played Rift with a friend for a while and I've just been letting my navigation skills go up. I've learned a lot while on the forums at work and decided to go with the Malediction as a PvP main ship. Tackle for groups, duelist for solo. Lots of training before I can fly it with all Tech2 gear though.

Went to Jita where everything is available and found that as a complete flip from the Malediction I like the slow badassery of infinite ammo laser/passive shield Sansha for PvE. Succubus now, Phantasm ready to go, and I'll be trained up for a Nightmare by the time I can do the missions I'd need it for.

Draconian
06-23-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm gonna mail you my ISK, started getting involved in life quite a bit more and my lessened PC time has shifted from MMO back to MUD.

VKhaun
06-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Part of me is sad, but the other 99% of me realizes the Nightmare is going to be an expensive beast to buy and fit.

Marou
06-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Me and Aeinna are reactivated and playing. Now to try and earn enough isk to buy plex for next month. Heh

Esfires
06-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Might not be the best time to start up again. From what I understand the protesters are lagging up all the main economic hotspots right now.

VKhaun
06-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Haha. The forums are a lot of fun right now... so many people are mad and don't really know why, that they assume the worst must be true. Still people running around saying you will have to pay real money to stay competitive and things like that.

I'm finally just now trying to get started on lv1's. Been working 12's and messing around on RIFT.

Esfires
06-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Haha. The forums are a lot of fun right now... so many people are mad and don't really know why, that they assume the worst must be true. Still people running around saying you will have to pay real money to stay competitive and things like that.

That was the devs' stated intention in the leaked memo. What remains to be seen is whether they'll scrap that idea now that they have this shitstorm on their hands.

VKhaun
06-27-2011, 07:09 PM
That was the devs' stated intention in the leaked memo. What remains to be seen is whether they'll scrap that idea now that they have this shitstorm on their hands.

No this is a misconception. The devs stated in the leaked memo things about putting items in the shop yes, but the there's a big logic gap from that to paying to stay competitive. You can't buy ANYTHING in the shop for real money. Not one thing in it can be bought directly for cash. You have to trade in an item which can be bought for ISK or Cash. Obviously cash can be spent to get it quicker, but that's no different from the current system. If you don't like the current system I can't help you, but it doesn't apply differently to this feature.

Esfires
06-27-2011, 07:34 PM
No this is a misconception. The devs stated in the leaked memo things about putting items in the shop yes, but the there's a big logic gap from that to paying to stay competitive. You can't buy ANYTHING in the shop for real money. Not one thing in it can be bought directly for cash. You have to trade in an item which can be bought for ISK or Cash. Obviously cash can be spent to get it quicker, but that's no different from the current system. If you don't like the current system I can't help you, but it doesn't apply differently to this feature.

You're missing the impact that this would have on the in-game economy. EVE, more than any other MMO, is a game of economics. Of industry. Everything that exists in the game has been assembled by a player, from parts constructed by other players out of ore mined by still more players. The entire economy of the game is based upon this structure. Selling ships and ammo by cash shop bypasses this entire system. Even aside from the ethical problems of a pay-to-win cash shop, the economic consequences of introducing a finished product out of thin air and totally bypassing the chain of industry in a game whose success is utterly dependent upon that chain are staggering.

Hermit
06-28-2011, 01:50 AM
Sorry for interupting, but hey guys, do you think one of you can hit me up with a 3 week trial? I've been downloading EVE's trial off steam, and would look forward to a no restriction play through, though I will probably buy the full game soon. My buddy was playing this game once, so I figured, heck, can't be that bad, right? I can PM you my email if you'd like. Thanks in advance!

Ziel
06-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Even aside from the ethical problems of a pay-to-win cash shop, the economic consequences of introducing a finished product out of thin air and totally bypassing the chain of industry in a game whose success is utterly dependent upon that chain are staggering.

Are they? I'm sure people were saying the same when PLEXs got introduced.

EVE has professional economists on it's team. I'm sure if this would so definitely ruin the EVE economy they'd have been going nuts. Not to mention CCP planned to implement the cash shop in stages, so they could identify if it wouldn't work as intended.

I'm no fan of microtransactions...especially at the prices CCP are selling them at...but CCP aren't stupid. People are over-reacting based on speculation of a memo that was basically just a "what if?".

Marou
06-28-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm no fan of microtransactions...especially at the prices CCP are selling them at...but CCP aren't stupid. People are over-reacting based on speculation of a memo that was basically just a "what if?".

Yar, the whole memo was set up as the start of an internal debate.

VKhaun
06-28-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm still just sitting here doing lv1's.

Harbinger bonus to general lasers, loaded up with small turrets. Extra slots for tracking/damage mods. Slices through everything like a destroyer with an invincible tank. Then salvages on it's own. Cap handles a MWD, so it's probably faster too LOL. Very OP for unrestricted general level 1 missions.

I can't seem to work out a ship progression because I only want to fly the little stuff and it's hard to keep everything relevant to them. My favorite ship is the Malediction, but missiles and armor don't really go together in EVE. The Khanid ships are all T2 and would waste a lot of training in spaceship command. Malediction has an extra high slot that may use a turret, so I may as well fly something that will use the general turret skills that will still apply. Doesn't matter what type since it would be training med/large guns for higher PvE and those skills are separate with reasonable requirements. Only really uses armor tanking since it has so few slots.

Thinking Minmatar armor right now. Hurricane -> Typhoon for higher level PvE. See what ship restrictions look like on lv2 story missions. If I can't bring battle cruisers, I'll do a Rupture. I thought about Gallente, but they're slower. If a mission turns out to be too tough to bum rush I'd rather be minmatar to kite it more easily. Faction ships are interesting, loved toying around with the Sansha ships but I ended up selling them because shields won't matter on a Malediction. I think it only has like 400 and 3 mid slots? Just going to assume the outter ring is red on that one until I have literally nothing left to train... in about twelve years...

COMYYY
07-06-2011, 03:55 AM

EVE is a great game. My friends suggested me to have a try and i did.