PDA

View Full Version : Rift for $4.99?

Sillywilly
06-30-2011, 01:29 PM
I got an email saying Rift was on a "summer sizzler sale" for 4.99. I can't find it for that price on the website though. It says 4.99 in 3 seperate places in the email. Ok so I was finally able to find it.

The link is here if you're interested:

http://click.riftgame.com/c.html?rtr=on&s=7cm96,p80u,1njy,dvnl,eskc,kjj3,dcir

It does NOT include the first month of game time. So techincally you'll have to pay like 19 bucks to start playing. But that's actually not bad IMO for such a new game.

I may go for that just to give me something different to play for a little while as LotRO is getting a little stale for me at the moment.

Ero Elohim
06-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Or save your money and stop paying companies for stale, rehashed ideas in a genre that's quickly inbreeding itself to death.

Draconian
06-30-2011, 02:08 PM
But that's actually not bad IMO for such a new game.

Or, you know, the first major sign of the end of a populated game.

Valec
06-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Exactly. Why would they drop the price? They most certainly would NOT if it were still selling well. Look at Blizzards example. I believe their second expansion pack is still sitting at 40 bucks, alongside the newest. Because it still sells, apparently.

Rift sales must be dipping. I've heard from the few people I know that actually play/played that the game was starting to feel empty. I restrained from saying "I told you so".

Canadiantx69
06-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Valec, WoW's second expansion pack is now FREE.

Sillywilly
06-30-2011, 04:02 PM
lol well what you have to remember is that the first month isn't included so anyone who buys this still has to spend 15 bucks on a subscription. It's digital download only so there's pretty much zero overhead for the company except bandwidth. So they're still going to rake in 19.99. I am definitely surprised it's being offered that low this early on. But perhaps it's an experiment trying to rejolt the population at a key time when most modern MMOs start seeing a down surge in population, thus creating a snowball effect. But like you said, they may be looking at how many accounts are set to non renew and going "oh shit, red alert".

Valec
06-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Valec, WoW's second expansion pack is now FREE.

WoW's Second expansion pack(not first, burning crusade) Wrath of the Lich King is still listed in blizzard's store at $39.99.

Alex Mars
06-30-2011, 08:21 PM
The Rift servers are split roughly 75% medium load, 23% High load, and there were two servers at Full last night. The game doesn't seem empty at all.

Canadiantx69
06-30-2011, 10:10 PM
whoops, LOL. That's what I get for not sleeping for more than 3 hours at a time for the past month :facepalm:

VKhaun
07-01-2011, 05:45 AM
The Rift servers are split roughly 75% medium load, 23% High load, and there were two servers at Full last night. The game doesn't seem empty at all.

QFT, game seems busy when I play. Maybe they just feel other games drop their price too late to do any good, and they're going to get subs while they have lots of people doing trials still.

Sillywilly
07-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah so I upgraded. I went with the collectors edition so I could get some more bag space and the mount and pet. They're doing a thing now where they just tacked on the first month fee so add 15 to that "summer sizzlin" sale. I've been enjoying it so far so I figured I would give it an honest go.

So is anyone from Cats still playing Rift? Do you have a server recommendation? It's gotta be RP something. I'm currently on an RP PvsE server. I prefer to avoid PvsP in a PvsE game until I'm in the mood.

Sillywilly
07-08-2011, 05:26 AM
Anyone have a suggestion for a class for my "flagship" toon? My primary toon as always been along the lines of a Paladin in DAoC, a Champ in LotRO, etc. The only game I didn't play a tank/hybrid type class in as my main was Warhammer because the witch hunter was so freaking cool as a concept.

However right now it seems like my cleric has far more survivability than my warrior. I'm pretty much following cookie cutter specs as a guide right now until I get a better feel for the mechanics of the game but having 2 shield absorbs and a chance to heal everytime I attack seems to make my cleric who's lvl 10 far more durable than my lvl 16 warrior. I know I'm really early in the game but does the warriors ability to take damage/survive mutliple mobs start to shine at later levels? My warrior is a paladin/warlord/reaver combo. My cleric is I don't even remember. But with a 2 handed weapon she's blasting through mobs in 4-5 hits and doesn't lose a single % of life even against 2 mobs because she has 2 self shields she can trigger instanly. If they ever get through my shields then she takes quite a beating and fast but that is a very big IF.

Esfires
07-08-2011, 03:14 PM
You're cleric's killing speed will slow down and your warrior's ability to survive will go up. That doesn't mean you can't build a cleric who is near impossible to kill, or a warrior who mows through enemies, but you will necessarily have to make sacrifices for that sort of thing.

One of my favorite pvp setups was to make very defensive cleric and just run around being very conspicuous with my heals. With the build I had I actually wasn't very good at healing other players, but I could wrap up three of the enemy who would just be chasing me around trying to kill me while my team slaughtered the rest of them. She couldn't kill a damned thing, though.

Andile™
07-08-2011, 10:10 PM
@Silly: Your warrior setup is exactly what I had going when I was playing. Before 1.1, it was an uber aoe grinder with dots and heals. That got tuned down a fair bit though.

My alt spec was a flamespear spammer with pet on tow. Got nerfed too. Hehe

Sillywilly
07-10-2011, 08:51 AM
@Silly: Your warrior setup is exactly what I had going when I was playing. Before 1.1, it was an uber aoe grinder with dots and heals. That got tuned down a fair bit though.

My alt spec was a flamespear spammer with pet on tow. Got nerfed too. Hehe

Yeah I think I may go full on reaver to the point of at least getting creeping death. Then with a few other reaver skills I've picked up along the way I'd have 2 pretty good AoE DoTs healing me as I fight.

Moonspell
07-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I got the free trial of this the other day. I'm currently trying out a mage and a rogue. They are both pretty fun at this point, but to be fair, I'm only level 7 and 8 respectively.

One question, how do you open up additional action bars? I can't seem to figure it out.

Alex Mars
07-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Go to Settings > Interface > Action bars and look for the drop down menu for Bottom Action Bars and Side Action Bars.

Moonspell
07-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Sweet! Thanks Alex!

Zavon
07-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Moon where you playing at broham? I'm on RIFT right now too.