PDA

View Full Version : Was anyone at the AoC launch?

Alex Mars
10-31-2011, 12:56 AM
A friend and I were discussing Secret World and speculating on how the launch would go given Funcoms history when we realized that we had no idea if they launched AoC smoothly or not. Anyone have any experience to share?

Zoobi
10-31-2011, 01:33 AM
AOC launched smoothly then ran out of gas a month later when all of the content was exhausted.

VKhaun
10-31-2011, 06:00 AM
I don't remember any issues at launch except that the game really obviously sucked.

Marou
10-31-2011, 06:22 AM
AOC launched smoothly then ran out of gas a month later when all of the content was exhausted.

I predict this is what will happen with SWTOR, given that none of the people in beta still talk about it; ever.

Zavon
10-31-2011, 06:38 AM
I predict this is what will happen with SWTOR, given that none of the people in beta still talk about it; ever.

It's because the servers keep going down. I've been waiting over a week to resume, and before that I only got to play for a week before it was shut down for two weeks before that. They keep redeploying new builds. It definitely seems to have more endgame content than AOC did, however said content is definitely not inexhaustible...

Andile™
10-31-2011, 07:36 AM
I predict this is what will happen with SWTOR, given that Star Wars sucks.

Fixed.

Sillywilly
10-31-2011, 12:38 PM
It's because the servers keep going down. I've been waiting over a week to resume, and before that I only got to play for a week before it was shut down for two weeks before that. They keep redeploying new builds. It definitely seems to have more endgame content than AOC did, however said content is definitely not inexhaustible...

True. Which is where good PvsP, or preferably, good Realm vs Realm comes into play. The carebears are going to have to get over their raiding fetishes. A company cannot roll out enough PvsE content for endgame to last forever. This is probably the largest complaint on the LotRO forums, "whaa whaa whaa we've done all the raids". These large "l33t" raiding guilds have completed the raids in a new expansion in anything from WoW to LotRO in the first week and then act like the game has no endgame content. PvsP is the only game play that is going to always be new and unpredictable. A developer cannot role out a new mega raid per week for the hardcore raiders to stay entertained and it doesn't make sense for a company to keep raising the level cap from 50 to 100 because that's just that much farther the newer players have to go to catch up to PvsP, not to mention if the company makes leveling faster then so much previous content gets wasted by being by-passed out of a lack of necessity.

Alex Mars
10-31-2011, 12:41 PM
OK, so Secret World might launch smoothly.

Man, the hate for SWTOR here is dripping off the walls, what will you guys do if the game is successful?

Marou
10-31-2011, 12:54 PM

Man, the hate for SWTOR here is dripping off the walls, what will you guys do if the game is successful?

Continue to largely ignore Triple A MMO's for another 5 years?

Zoobi
10-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Not care because I don't intend to play it?

Sillywilly
10-31-2011, 03:47 PM
The AoC launch went great actually. I only had 1 glitch the entire time I was playing and that was getting a black screen like once per play session. If I changed my resolution it would go back to normal and be ok usually for the rest of the night. AoC was quite interesting although it was one of those games that got to be a little grindy and too slow for my taste around lvl 40. I had trouble finding quests appropriate for my level and ended up either having to mass slaughter things in a game that was not really designed for chain pulling or I ended up getting pooped on by quests that were too high level for me. I make no accusations that there couldn't have been more quests for my lvl, I potentially just had a hard time finding them.

In the end the only thing that kept me from liking AoC was the lack of RvsR. No game has ever appealed to me with arena or guild vs guild for PvsP. For me it's all about the open world realm vs realm ala DAoC style.

Alex Mars
10-31-2011, 06:56 PM
I had not problem finding the quests in AoC, I just hated Cimmeria. If I could have done all my levelling in the deserts of Stygia I'd have loved the game.

As for RvR, I am pretty much burned out on PvP except for occasionally playing my free WAR account, but Planetside 2 is coming and from what I have seen you should check it out.

Valec
10-31-2011, 07:12 PM
I had trouble finding quests appropriate for my level and ended up either having to mass slaughter things in a game that was not really designed for chain pulling or I ended up getting pooped on by quests that were too high level for me. I make no accusations that there couldn't have been more quests for my lvl, I potentially just had a hard time finding them.

This was one of the major issues with the game when it launched to the point where people would do the chains from starting quest to level 40 in every starting area, just to be able to advance. They did fix it pretty quickly but that was small solace for people who had to struggle through the 40s the first month or two.

Stalis
11-01-2011, 12:10 AM

I only got in for the weekend. Not in the full beta. Zavon is the only one who is afaik

Valec
11-01-2011, 12:17 AM
I only got in for the weekend. Not in the full beta. Zavon is the only one who is afaik

I was in the beta pretty early.

I quit the beta pretty early.

Boxy Brown
11-03-2011, 06:09 AM
There were a few things wrong with the AoC launch but nothing game-breaking. There were a lot of problems with the intricate little graphics options that would cause the game to crash. Additionally, about 10-15 levels after leaving the starter zone, the quests/PvE content suddenly... stopped.

NAH Grahm Cracker
11-03-2011, 06:38 PM
I enjoyed the game, I'm not on the bandwagon that everyone else is with the hate for it.

However; I wasn't into raiding, the PvP sucked, so I got max level and bored very fast.
To seal the deal, my computer blue screened twice from playing the game so I banned it from my computer.

Ensley
11-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I played AoC at launch extensively with several friends. The only true downside was the horrendous lag, and it WAS game-breaking, so I'm not sure what Boxy is talking about. If you had more than 10 people on the same screen, everyone got 20k latency and went linkdead. It was unplayable unless you were just by yourself in some remote area. I thought the classes and general gameplay were very good. That being said, AoC is also a very good game now with the new hardcore server and a few years of balance and content under their belt.

If you're interested in Secret World, I wouldn't worry about what happened in AoC.

DJive
11-08-2011, 11:20 PM
There were a few things wrong with the AoC launch but nothing game-breaking. There were a lot of problems with the intricate little graphics options that would cause the game to crash. Additionally, about 10-15 levels after leaving the starter zone, the quests/PvE content suddenly... stopped.

Would agree. I played about 2 month's through the beta and through the released 2 months after. AoC had one of the smoothest launches I've ever seen with an MMO.

Sillywilly
11-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Would agree. I played about 2 month's through the beta and through the released 2 months after. AoC had one of the smoothest launches I've ever seen with an MMO.

That was exactly my evaluation. There were a lot of people after the fact, when AoC appeared to be sliding into a permanent grave, that were stating AoC had a horrible launch, that it was unplayable for the first month, etc. I was like WTF are these people talking about? Other than one random and infrequent graphics bug the launch was flawless for me. The game ran smoothly even on highest settings, I never got disconnected, I never had trouble logging into the game, I never got stuck in the terrain nor had a quest bug out on me in the entire time that I played it. One of the few glitches I can remember is being able to swim up waterfalls lol. Not exactly game breaking.

A lot of the bad press that AoC got though was from the employees. I had a family member (by marriage) that worked on the game and apparently 30 dollars an hour to test bugs wasn't enough incentive to enjoy the job so Funcom has a lot of disgruntled employees here that like to comment on it's "shitty launch due to management not listening to the QA people" and that itself makes me say W T F ? The bad thing is every single employee that I know off through this connection was doing their first QA job in the gaming industry so it's not like they had a lot of experience to challenge the developers with.

Ensley
11-11-2011, 01:28 AM
weiners

cocohuang
12-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I never heard of it