PDA

View Full Version : Good Fairly Open CRPGs

Marou
12-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Looking for more good games with minimal/limited cut-scenes, where you get to create your own character. Or, if it's not a full on RPG you at least get very open gameplay. Already have all the Bethesda stuff obviously, and I've still got plenty of mileage to get from Skyrim and FO:NV. However, there has to be more stuff out there? Doesn't haveto be new, but things after 2005-6 are preferred because turn of the millennium stuff hasn't aged very gracefully.

RPGs I played and didn't like/finish: Witcher 1&2 (controls, too many cut-scenes), ME2 (corridor shooter, too many cut-scenes), DA2 (too much to list), Dues Ex: HR (way too many cut-scenes)

I already plan to get Saints Row the Third. I've thought about trying the Two Worlds games or Risen but it rubs me the wrong way not being able to make a char, and they seem kinda clunky in gameplay videos. Anyone played em? Outside of those, what else is there? Was Alpha Protocol very good? If so, was it loaded with cut-scenes and linear levels?

Ero Elohim
12-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Alpha Protocol was "Obsidian Does Mass Effect" essentially. Two Worlds II is an awful game (though you do get to sort of create your character), and it was considered much better than the first one. Never played Risen.

You should really play Dark Souls if you have access to a PS3 or 360.

Marou
12-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I'd like to play it; but I don't have any consoles, or any intentions of getting one. If they release on PC I'll pick it up off steam. I'd love to play Red Dead Redemption too, but again the lack of console renders that impossible.

Norska
12-27-2011, 09:05 PM
EYE Divine Supremacy is supposed to be very Deus Ex like, but filled with shitty dialogue (all your base are belong to us, except it's first language was french) and other issues that made people have a love/hate relationship with it. I've thought about buying it, and gave it some serious thought when it was a daily deal for 2.50, but I just have too many higher quality games on my plate atm that I want to play more. I'm still thinking about getting it tbh, and if my funds have enough leeway by the end of the daily sales I'll grab it.

If you don't mind FPS with very little RPG elements, Farcry 1/2, Crysis, and Just Cause 1/2 are all open world sandbox fps games, and I also thought about grabbing those during the daily deals for em, but decided against it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K9ZkY-6M5qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr25RR6qGgM

Edit: You've probably already heard of it, but while not a "traditional" sandbox rpg mount and blade warbands is a very enjoyable game imo that has some solid rpg and sandbox elements to it.

Marou
12-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow, I checked out the homepage for that EYE game and it looked like one of our visitor spambots wrote the game description.

After an unending war with the metastreumonic Force, the powerful organization Secreta Secretorum you belong to is finally ready to undermine the head-strong federation, despite an intense struggle for power. :facepalm:

I'm totally forming a federation of strong heads now though.

Zavon
12-28-2011, 06:39 AM
I have that EYE game, but haven't got to play much of it due to SWTOR. For the short time I played it, it was very fun. It is needlessly complex, though. I'm no entirely sure what is going on in the game, though it is challenging and there are a ton of options for developing your character.