PDA

View Full Version : RIFT server merge

Alex Mars
01-11-2012, 11:56 PM
RIFT is merging servers according to a message that pops up when you log onto certain servers, but the odd thing is that there does not seem to be any formal announcement from the developers on the topic. The merge is scheduled for 18 Jan.

Zoobi
01-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Expect the same with SWTOR in the coming months.

Andile™
01-12-2012, 01:42 AM
IMHO Rift had a ridiculous amount of servers to start with so I'm surprised it's only happening now.

Marou
01-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Expect the same with SWTOR in the coming months.

I actually doubt that's true, since they have been so conservative and weary of opening new servers until queues absolutely necessitate it.

Ziel
01-12-2012, 12:52 PM
I actually doubt that's true, since they have been so conservative and weary of opening new servers until queues absolutely necessitate it.

Yesterday, for some reason, I felt SWTOR would see a spectacular drop in subs in the next year. It was like a gaming premonition. I suppose by this time next year I'll have found out whether I have gaming superpowers...

Alex Mars
01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
The RIFT devs were in a difficult place, the queues were long and people were going nuts in the forums demanding a solution so new servers were brought online. Queues in SWTOR are mostly gone with the end of the holidays and people going back to work or school but the server populations remain high on most servers.

Graveworm
01-12-2012, 02:45 PM
RIFT is merging servers according to a message that pops up when you log onto certain servers, but the odd thing is that there does not seem to be any formal announcement from the developers on the topic. The merge is scheduled for 18 Jan.

Interesting timing. I got an e-mail begging me to come back for free from Jan. 19-22.

Sillywilly
01-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Interesting timing. I got an e-mail begging me to come back for free from Jan. 19-22.

Yeah me too. I'd be interested to know what the current population is for Rift. It wasn't a bad game at all honestly. I'm just not sure it had enough to offer for people to continue their subscriptions on a long term basis.

Graveworm
01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah me too. I'd be interested to know what the current population is for Rift.

This is why they are merging the servers immediately before the free days. They are probably hemorrhaging subs and want to the servers to feel as full as they did at launch for everyone coming back.

Alex Mars
01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
The game has been a bit empty of late, about a month ago I was the only character in a level 30-ish zone, Scarwood Reach.

Boxy Brown
01-15-2012, 05:11 PM
The MMO world is tricky and overpopulated as of late. The surge in MMO releases has generated a nomadic culture of game hoppers. It's hard to be an old school MMO player today if you don't like WoW, because no new game is around for long enough to establish a presence on. All you can really do is be pissed off and alone or follow the zerg.

Sillywilly
01-15-2012, 05:34 PM
The MMO world is tricky and overpopulated as of late. The surge in MMO releases has generated a nomadic culture of game hoppers. It's hard to be an old school MMO player today if you don't like WoW, because no new game is around for long enough to establish a presence on. All you can really do is be pissed off and alone or follow the zerg.

True dat. Because of so many choices nobody establishes a true MMO "home" anywhere anymore.

Alex Mars
01-15-2012, 05:42 PM

It is not just a nomadic attitude, MMOs are coming out with less content than in the old days. In old EQ1 you had 10 or so newbie areas and lots of different places to level up, in WoW you could play 4 characters (2 horde and 2 alliance) to 40 and two of them to 60 without seeing much of the same ground, now we have RIFT that has only two levelling paths (guardian and defiant). SWTOR has one levelling path once off newbie and faction specfic planets but at least you get a core of different missions with each class. Unless you like endlessly repeating the same stuff you run out of content much faster in new MMOs than in the old days.

I think that due to the expense of making content we will see smaller and smaller MMOs and they won't have the amount of content to keep someone playing for years on end. To be honest, in the days of EQ1 all you had to do was make a zone map, drop in spawn points and camps, itemize it, and let the players in to kill things, you didn't have to develop quest lines and stories to the extent that is required now.

I think LotRO will be the last MMO that I played for over two years, from what I see the new ones will only hold me for a year or so as I do not raid or do end game stuff.

Sillywilly
01-15-2012, 05:52 PM
It is not just a nomadic attitude, MMOs are coming out with less content than in the old days. In old EQ1 you had 10 or so newbie areas and lots of different places to level up, in WoW you could play 4 characters (2 horde and 2 alliance) to 40 and two of them to 60 without seeing much of the same ground, now we have RIFT that has only two levelling paths (guardian and defiant). SWTOR has one levelling path once off newbie and faction specfic planets but at least you get a core of different missions with each class. Unless you like endlessly repeating the same stuff you run out of content much faster in new MMOs than in the old days.

I think that due to the expense of making content we will see smaller and smaller MMOs and they won't have the amount of content to keep someone playing for years on end. To be honest, in the days of EQ1 all you had to do was make a zone map, drop in spawn points and camps, itemize it, and let the players in to kill things, you didn't have to develop quest lines and stories to the extent that is required now.

I think LotRO will be the last MMO that I played for over two years, from what I see the new ones will only hold me for a year or so as I do not raid or do end game stuff.

I'm in a very similiar state. I'm enjoying SWToR and the voice overs and "acting" make the quests exponentiall more fun than it is in other MMOs but I still long for the days when you geared up to be as effecient as possible at your level because you knew you'd have to kill alot of shit before you outleveled that gear. Now days barely surviving a fight isn't that big of a deal because you really only have to do that one hard fight and then it's turn it in at the quest giver time. In DAoC and EQ you needed to pay attention to gear and try to keep it as uptodate as possible because a little here and a little there added up over time during the leveling process.

That and the worlds just felt so much larger back then.

It's my firm opinion we will not see another population equal to WoW in an MMO until someone decides to go completely old school. And by old school I mean open world, less fed ex quest grind, less cookie cutter gear, less 50 hours to max level and 200 hours of raiding at max level. Deep crafting system, meaningful RvsR and even housing in the environment like Ultima Online.

At this point in time that type of game would be completely new and different for the majority of the MMO population at this phase of it's life.