PDA

View Full Version : Super Monday Night Combat

Draconian
04-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Officially released this week, really having an absolute blast on it. It's sortof like... a third person shooter version of a MOBA, with TF2-esque art style.

Free to play, the only thing you can spend money on is unlocking champions (called pros), boosters for your account's xp/currency rewards, and cosmetic things for the pros. You acquire account-level currency called combat credits after each match, and these can be spent on upgrades for game-influencing items or to unlock champions. You -cannot- unlock cosmetic things with combat credits, BUT after each match you have a chance to receive an item (sortof like random pickups in TF2) - and these gifts after the match can be anything, including cosmetic items.

5v5 team play on an Arena FPS sized map (there are 3 unique maps right now), like quake or TF2 sized maps. There are creep waves (robots) that follow two main lanes in each map, and turrets along these paths. There is also a "jungle" on the upper level of each map with neutral mobs and a special powerup that spawns every 5 mins. You level up your pro inside of each match from 1 to a max of 15, and each level you get a new skill unlock. Characters each have 3 active abilities unique to them, and 2 additional offense/defense passives - these passives behave the same way for every pro, in that they give boosts to hp/regen/damage. You acquire XP in game from creep kills and player kills/assists, tower dropping etc etc - normal stuff. When you kill creeps though, they drop coins and powerups on the ground, which either team can grab regardless of which team's bots dropped them. These credits you accumulate in the match give you little bits of xp, but are primarily useful for activating various features of the maps, namely spawning more creep waves or special robots, or jump pads, buffs, etc. In this sense, "denying" is a part of the game by making sure you get the coins more often than they do.

Everything is very very much like a MOBA in a third person view, only there is no item shop during the match to buff your character like in HoN/LoL/DotA - instead you spend your gold on influencing the gameplay directly on the field. A lot of the tactics though for map control and awareness, when to push when to gank etc - all of it applies in this game so LoL/HoN experience translates.

The amount of account-level currency you get after each match is kinda small compared to how much things cost to unlock, it certainly seems slower than trying to save up to unlock a new champ on LoL, for example. But, the awesome thing is the random "gifts" you get at the end of matches once in a while. Whereas it took me about 15-20 games to buy this one low-price powerup to use in my gear (cost 2250, cheapest pros 4500), I also have been awarded about 5 or 6 items that all cost the same amount or much more than the one item I actually saved to buy. So although it may seem like a slow pace of progression if you don't buy boosters, it isn't grueling and the random handouts really, really help take that edge off. I don't think you can unlock pros by these gifts, but you can get all items including the cosmetics. There is a first win of the day bonus as well, which I think is double CC for that win.

Besides all the details, the main thing is I'm having an absolute blast on this. I'm at just under 40 games played, running just shy of a 2:1 win/loss ratio and pwning newbs up like crazy. I don't think I've played a match that lasted more than 25 minutes, most of them are 15-20 max and I've only levelled up to 15 in maybe 2 of the 40 matches I've played. The games feel quick but balanced at the same time, it never really feels like OMGWTF just happened how did we lose? Crazy comebacks are totally possible, but it never feels like you didn't have time to react or got raped suddenly. The pacing of the matches, although half of the average time of my LoL matches, seems absolutely perfect for the gameplay... not too fast, not too slow, plenty of action. Also, even tho I only have a few items upgrading my character (really very minor at this point) - I don't feel like I'm obviously underpowered vs people who do have more upgrades. Despite being at the very early levels with not many upgrades, I'm 2:1ish on matches with, what I think have been plenty to settle me into my matchmaking bracket. So... all in all I'm digging the game at every level.

I recommend it!

Zoobi
04-26-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm going to give it a shot after this weekend, if it disappoints I'm going to drive to boston and murder you. Just sayin'.

VKhaun
04-26-2012, 10:46 PM
I will try this later this week, whenever I get tired of CoH/V.

Ero Elohim
04-26-2012, 11:50 PM
I liked the original MNC better. This new one feels too slow and less like a shooter. It really is like a 3rd-person League of Legends. Lacks a lot of the intensity that MNC had.

Draconian
04-27-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm going to give it a shot after this weekend, if it disappoints I'm going to drive to boston and murder you.

Thank god I'm not whoever you think I am.

Zoobi
04-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Thank god I'm not whoever you think I am.

Lol, hmm, now you have me wondering.

Draconian
04-27-2012, 12:05 PM
I was in Boston in late 2008? And posted a huge thing about being there and drug addiction and was super emo and Silly called me a fag etc. Maybe you remember that?

Degas lives in Boston, or at least did at the time for school. I'm in Buffalo. ;)

Zoobi
04-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I was in Boston in late 2008? And posted a huge thing about being there and drug addiction and was super emo and Silly called me a fag etc. Maybe you remember that?

Degas lives in Boston, or at least did at the time for school. I'm in Buffalo. ;)

Yeah was probably that, or Degas, either way, MURDER IF IT ISN'T GOOD!

Norska
04-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Man, you guys could have started a bitchin game of "Where in the world is Draconian?"

Zoobi would fly to random cities, murder a guy, and see if it was Draconian. Draconian could then post a warmer / colder reply in response, or nothing if Zoobi was succesful.

Random Havoc
04-27-2012, 05:12 PM
...Silly called me a fag etc. Maybe you remember that?

Well that narrows it down!!!

Andile™
04-27-2012, 05:59 PM
We are all Draconians after all.

Zavon
04-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Valec lives in Boston, I'm pretty sure

Valec
05-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Valec lives in Boston, I'm pretty sure

Nah, like 20 minutes away. There is a poster, though I forget who, who does/did live in Boston.