PDA

View Full Version : Repeated Mistakes by Developers

VKhaun
05-26-2012, 03:47 AM
I'm in the beta for TSW online (Funcom) and without breaking NDA with specifics it's a complete rerun of AoConan. Glitchy bad characters. Combat system is rough and begging for major changes, PvP balance is horrendous. Quests issues. Etc. Etc.

Then I checked out PlanetSide 2 again today. No new news items in forever and a day, but out of sheer boredom at work I check their youtube and they've got a new youtube up since the 24th, with only 50K views in two days... Once again failing at advertising.

Now I'm recalling Valve re-making mods over and over again without solid technical background. Rampant cheating, repeated glitches etc. I'm hearing things about CS:GO through the grapevine and going DEJA VU over CS:CZ, CS:S, and DoD:S just to name the ones I played.

Blizzard's BNet is once again a gigantic pile of fail for D3.

I also heard that HiRez cut up Tribes Ascended into a hellish grind like they did Global Agenda.

Discuss.

Zoobi
05-26-2012, 03:52 AM
Same shit with a new coat of paint. Although I love D3, first time I've got hacked in the 15 years I've been gaming online with no stupidity on my part(system clean as a whistle of keyloggers, nor am I stupid enough to fall for any kind of phishing scams.)

Yep, same ol' same ol'.

Taolas
05-26-2012, 05:09 AM
Yeah, it's quite sad. I haven't bought into a lot of games that should have been good because of these issues I've become too familiar with. What's even worse is when fans refuse to hold these games to any sort of standards and insist everyone accept them as-is.

Been watching Tera and it's falling into the Korean MMO trap hard. Not just the boring as hell quest system, but endgame design too. I've played plenty of fun Korean games, but whenever that late-game wall hits you in the face, you see people start dropping like flies. Instead of addressing that, companies decided to charge a box price and monthly fee for it. Geez, you have a huge game world and combat that people enjoy enough to play the game, that's 90% done - do the other 10% and make good endgame.

Ziel
05-26-2012, 05:25 AM
Then I checked out PlanetSide 2 again today. No new news items in forever and a day, but out of sheer boredom at work I check their youtube and they've got a new youtube up since the 24th, with only 50K views in two days... Once again failing at advertising.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut/videos?query=Planetside

They invited TB along to the SOE studios to check out their game (followed by Hamma and Jen from PSU). The MMO report got to reveal MAXs/female models this week, too. I'm pretty sure the air combat vid was just a fun little thing for the community (link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfwd3U709dc) for others).

Game's still in alpha. Their advertising thus far is for people who don't know there's a PS2 site to visit. Expect things to ramp up around E3/Fan Faire.

Sidenote: I assume you visit PSU (http://www.planetside-universe.com/), Veek? That's pretty much where all the old PS vets are giving feedback of alpha development and it gets an awesome amount of dev interaction (http://www.planetside-universe.com/gviptracker.php).

I don't know much about GA/Tribes, but I've heard Tribes unlocks are pretty much a luxury. Aren't you basically on a level playing field with the default load-outs?

Alex Mars
05-26-2012, 10:41 AM
TSW really was disappointing, the devs have this attitude that it is the players fault if they don't like the game despite the crappy art and animations and combat (I have a 1 second casting time when I pull the trigger on my assault rifle?). TSW makes AoC look golden and perfect. Funcom devs are useless arrogant eurotrash that could fuck up a wet dream.

Zavon
05-26-2012, 12:14 PM
I wish I could say that TSW failing surprises me, but it doesn't. That's the worst thing about Funcom. They always TRY to do something different, they just never try for quality.

Sillywilly
05-26-2012, 12:24 PM
TSW really was disappointing, the devs have this attitude that it is the players fault if they don't like the game despite the crappy art and animations and combat (I have a 1 second casting time when I pull the trigger on my assault rifle?). TSW makes AoC look golden and perfect. Funcom devs are useless arrogant eurotrash that could fuck up a wet dream.

:-( I guess I won't preorder. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out before I sink 60 bucks into another MMO.

Alex Mars
05-26-2012, 12:44 PM
I wish I could say that TSW failing surprises me, but it doesn't. That's the worst thing about Funcom. They always TRY to do something different, they just never try for quality.

That is really what it feels like, they didn't have the budget or the vision to make the actual gameplay and control elements enjoyable and good quality.

:-( I guess I won't preorder. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out before I sink 60 bucks into another MMO.

Supposedly there is all sorts of changes and new stuff that will be implemented right before launch, but that is only about 21 days away so we shall see.

I'm going to take another look at this game at the end of the year, about when I think I will be done with SWTOR.

Valec
05-27-2012, 08:22 PM

At this point i'm pretty sure they're using social media(facebook, twitter) for most of the minor updates they have.

Since it's going to be f2p, I doubt they will have trouble getting people into it.