PDA

View Full Version : TSW Tips

Zavon
06-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Since several of you have become interested in playing this unique animal, and since the game has no hand holding, I thought we could share stuff we've learned.

1. You have to decide on a build. Unlocking higher AP abilities in a given weapon, doesn't mean they are stronger. I found out the hard way. Its better to get a low tiered power for another weapon entirely, if it is more synergistic with what, you have in mind. Don't pick BLOOD for first weapon no matter what. It has no AOE and you fight a lot if packs of zombies.

2. Unlock the inner circle first. Dont even bother with outer circle, its so cheap and easy to open up the core abilities for all the weapons. You can switch roles easier this way too.

3. Dont sell items or use consumables. Dissasemble ALL of it coutre crafting

Zavon
06-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Edit: Stupid phone won't let me edit this.

3. Don't sell items or use consumables. Disassemble ALL of it for crafting. One consumable will provide a ton of crafting mats.

4. Green quests are investigation quests. Yellow are stealth quests. Stealth quests require you to try to avoid fighting and traps.

5. The token vendor in the first area is near the police station

Sillywilly
06-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Since several of you have become interested in playing this unique animal, and since the game has no hand holding, I thought we could share stuff we've learned.

1. You have to decide on a build. Unlocking higher AP abilities in a given weapon, doesn't mean they are stronger. I found out the hard way. Its better to get a low tiered power for another weapon entirely, if it is more synergistic with what, you have in mind. Don't pick BLOOD for first weapon no matter what. It has no AOE and you fight a lot if packs of zombies.

2. Unlock the inner circle first. Dont even bother with outer circle, its so cheap and easy to open up the core abilities for all the weapons. You can switch roles easier this way too.

3. Dont sell items or use consumables. Dissasemble ALL of it coutre crafting

I have a question about weapons. Can I hold a pistol in one hand and a sword in the other? Or will the sword go to my back? Is it viable to spec some into gun and some into blades and pull with a gun and then switch to blades when they get into melee?

Zavon
06-18-2012, 03:28 PM
No, the pistols are only dual for some reason. The range is only about 14 meters on those, so they are basically medium range.

What works best is to pick a "primary weapon" and spec. If you like the damage sword for instance, most of your abilities will be that. Then get another weapon that has synergestic passives and a good finisher.

When you use two weapons, you usually build up resources for both on your main attack. This will mean you can use two finishers back to back.

The basic pistol "the business" attack creates a weakend state irrc. So look for a weapon that gives bonuses to weakened opponets for secondary

Zavon
06-18-2012, 03:30 PM
What weapon you have in your hand just depends on the skill. You automatically switch to assualt, rifle if you use an assult rifle skill

Sillywilly
06-19-2012, 07:32 AM
What weapon you have in your hand just depends on the skill. You automatically switch to assualt, rifle if you use an assult rifle skill

Well this definitely made the gameplay feel a little less shallow. I put a few points into AR to get the leech effect and I pull with my AR, use my big damage abilities with sword and then kite leeching life when I need to or especially when a big mob goes to do their big damage move. I also kind of like the Warhammer style achievements with bonus XP for killing a certain amount of zombies, etc. Sometimes I'm in the mood to just kill shit and that kinda gives it purpose. I've warmed a little bit to the game but not nearly enough to purchase it at this point.

Zavon
06-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Yeah it takes some time. Pretty much everything plays the same until you unlock a lot of abilities then you can make whatever you want.

I recommend looking at the decks for build ideas.

Zavon
06-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Relevant:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=33256

VKhaun
06-20-2012, 06:15 PM
That's a good writeup, but I would add that not everything glows when you can interact with it. At least, it didn't last time I was in beta. There were at least two quests off the top of my head where I got lost and the forum community told me I was a noob who was 'pixel hunting' because I didn't realize I could click things.

Sillywilly
06-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Yeah either the game is pretty bugg right now or the in game fanbois need to drop the "look at the descriptions noob" comments in general chat. Because I've been on several quests where someone got hammered for asking where item X was and then came to the quest myself later and that 1 item out of 8 you had to collect was buried under the terrain or didn't highlight in yellow when you got close like the other 7.

I've wanted to strangle some people in game because they start with that fanboi shit of accusing the people of not reading the quest, etc. Some of the quests and the tips for this game are very poorly designed and poorly implemented, or the designer uses that CSI:Miami form of clues that is absolute bullshit in the real world. (meaning the story/clues/culprit are designed backwards, which doesn't lead to an obvious trail going through it forwards).