PDA

View Full Version : Uhhh I think I may sell my Xbox 360

Sillywilly
06-21-2012, 08:09 AM
The online play is trash man. I'm playing Black Ops today, which is about the only thing I play anymore online. This guy accuses a person on my team of cheating and they get into it pretty heavy. So when the next game rolls around I'm on the team with the "cheater" again and the accusing guy gets stuck on the other team. While we're in the game the "cheater" admits to having been banned from Black Ops 3-4 times, but of course unfairly because of people reporting him lol.

After that game I see that he is clearly cheating in game and when they get into it again I call him out on it. He and the other guy blast away at each other over the mic until the game starts. Previously the cheater has gone like 15 and 1, 12 and 2, etc. After getting pissed off about being called out in the next 3 games and the guy goes 40 and 1, 32 and 2 and like 36 and 1 out of no where. Every single kill he got was either with a care package (like this one time he got dogs and the same fucking dog killed 3 people in a row because it wouldn't register hits, saw it with my own eyes from a floor up) and from eating half a clip of shots. In the kill cam it would show us not getting a shot off. 2 more people end up calling him out on it before the end of the 3rd game.

The part that pisses me off is that this fucker has been banned 3-4 times (admittedly) and still has a functional Xbox. His xbox should have been bricked by Microsoft at this point. It is complete bullshit that those of us who don't exploit these games have to play with these people because they're allowed to get 1 month subscriptions banned over and over and over. And the stupid thing is that Microsoft keeps going up on the monthly price for Xbox and the games keep getting ridiculous because they release with half their content and release the other half as DLC at 20 bucks like 2 weeks later.

I really fucking hate corporate greed.

I've started seeing my Xbox and my games in $ value, as in what else could I own if I sold this shit. I usually don't do that until I'm just before giving something up. I've started avoiding online play and really don't give a shit to own a console for single player gaming lol. I went from owning a Super Nintendo to not owning a single console until 2 years after the 360 had been released. I'm sure I could make do with PC gaming only again.

Zavon
06-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Playing on a vent with people you dont know, sounds like a terrible idea. I wouldn't use the microphone.

Marou
06-21-2012, 09:33 AM
FPS's are shyte on console anyways. Just use your funds from selling your xbox to buy an HDMI adapter and tray/wireless keyboard-mouse to game on the bigscreen if that's what you want.

Boxy Brown
06-21-2012, 09:42 AM
I give Xbox live lobbies one chance and if they say something stupid or make annoying noises then I mute them right off the bat.

Draconian
06-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Oh, console gamers. So glad I never interact with that population. :)

Boxy Brown
06-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Yeah me and my friends are practically the only console gamers that aren't total asshead mcfagsluts.

Zavon
06-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah...about that boxy...

VKhaun
06-21-2012, 04:01 PM
PC isn't any better. Still banning hackers on ancient games. The game designers usually just don't do anything about it from the start, or take some token measure to make it take longer so it looks good at launch.

The only games I ever played that didn't have hack issues was Planet-Side. I went and made an account on a hacker forum to ask them about what games they COULDN'T hack because I was pissed about this same kind of drama and some big shot on their forum (colored name, rep stars, whatever) laid it out for me how Planet-Side could only be hacked by actual hackers because every time you start the game up or pass certain load points some of the variables randomize along a three point path or something. You can't just make an executable you had to actively hack it while playing. Sorry if that's vague, I have only a super basic understanding of variable fishing from fooling with offline game trainers. I have no idea how the code works or how being online would change it.

Despite my lack of knowledge, my experience backs it up. The only time I ever saw a functioning hack in Planet-Side was when a guy had a grenade launcher he could fire rapid fire and never reload, but it did no damage. He used it to decent effect as a 'lag gun' though because it would basically zap anyone's FPS to shit if they weren't on a good PC or didn't have certain settings set to low.

Planet-Side 2 is coming.
Get your PC ready, Sillywilly.

Zoobi
06-21-2012, 04:39 PM
I never had hacking issues with Bioshock 2(I played the shit out of that multiplayer until the PC population died down because of NO FUCKING DEDICATED SERVERS). The only reason I stopped playing it was because for some reason developers don't get that PC players do not want this lobby matchmaking bullshit system from consoles. Same thing with the latest Alien vs Predators game, awesome game but dedicated servers weren't in at launch(don't know if they are now).

Taolas
06-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Just lose xblive and mod your 360 to play "backups"

Draconian
06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
The only time I've ever had trouble with hacking on PC games was the first FPS I really got into competitively, which was version 1.5 of CounterStrike.

Dedicated servers with admins, what's that? Yeah, those exist. Communities of respectful players that don't cheat? Yeah, those exist.

Anyway, the hilarious part isn't that PC is and has always been better for FPS gaming especially, it's that one of consoles major arguments, the whole "no hackers!" thing, is complete bunk. And since most console FPS I've played just matchmakes you, and doesn't give you a server list - it's a crapshoot! Ignoring all of the technical and control aspects of the argument for PC vs Console, PC wins alone just because it has a wealth of dedicated servers and forum communities who run them, all on the same box. It's an all around integrated experience, being a competitive PC-based gamer. Easier access to all the benefits of a gaming community, and a more mature crowd.

So, yes VK, PC is better.

VKhaun
06-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Ignoring all of the technical and control aspects of the argument for PC vs Console, PC wins alone just because it has a wealth of dedicated servers and forum communities who run them, all on the same box. It's an all around integrated experience, being a competitive PC-based gamer. Easier access to all the benefits of a gaming community, and a more mature crowd.

So, yes VK, PC is better.

I do not agree. For all the truth in what you've said, those same things bring massive drama. The only thing worse than being called a hacker or dealing with a hacker in a random crapshoot match, is when ten of your community members you thought were your friends get together and have you banned for 'hacking', or when a bunch of people don't believe someone among them is hacking and you have to deal with a guy blatantly hacking all day on your community servers. I've even been in communities where after a VAC patch half the leadership just vanished. Banned in stats, never posted again, never played again. My favorite of all though is when a bunch of people get together in a thread where someone posts a 'demo' of someone 'hacking' and everyone starts to see aimbots and wallhacks everywhere. I've posted vids of myself before just to see what happens and gotten hilarious results.

Is there 'less hacking'? Yes. If you stick to dedicated servers with active admins.
Is there less hacking drama messing with your game? No. I don't think so.

Draconian
06-21-2012, 07:41 PM
That has not been my experience at all. I dunno, I've always FPS'd like I MMO - I find a group of people to do it with. Joining an FPS clan is just like being in a guild, and most have their own servers. I've never had an issue, but then again, since I was in my teens I was always playing in clans where most people were 25+.

I guess I've just always managed to avoid the immature online crowd? It sounds like you've just bounced around from "gaming forums" and never really joined a tight community (a clan, an alliance, etc) during that time. Being one member out of hundreds or thousands is doing it wrong, as they say. If your competitive FPS clan is more than 25 people it is probably too big, and naturally it will suffer the consequences of not having a controlled and filtered population.

I'm not saying there aren't assholes out there, but I do think on average there are significantly less on PC than console, for the normal gamer. And for anyone who is even somewhat serious about being a competitive and regular player of a specific game, it is truly a very minor amount of effort involved to find a place to play with mature people. You just have to, you know, actually try to find that group of people if you don't know them already.

Also, it probably depends on the game. CoD has been a very lackluster series since the first couple, and they are trying to make the PC versions work more like the console ones, as far as joining games and servers. Not my thing. I stick with dedicated servers and more tactical games, which is perhaps a large part of my experience - I don't really play the ones that 12 year olds love.

Sillywilly
06-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah claiming consoles can't be hacked/exploited is just plain old bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9NXJ8KpVYI

This type of exploit is probably the most rampant one I encounter on Xbox Live. I'll come up to a high traffic corner with my sights up and some asshole will come around the corner sprinting (takes longer to aim afterwards) and I'll put anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of a clip into this guy and I'll kill over after he fires one shot. So I'm thinking somebody has popped me with a headshot and I must not have hit anything (even though it certainly looked like center of mass shots) and in the kill cam it'll show him spraying half a clip and me not getting a shot off. Often times I'm on this persons team as not and from what I can tell by watching them it looks like they kill their outgoing connection for about 1 to 1.5 seconds just before rounding a corner. It looks like what is happening in the video below except the idiot in the video was making it stupidly obvious and was trying to snipe people to where the more advanced exploiters are doing it for 1 sec intervals so they can pop around a corner and drop somebody with an auto gun. It looks like they are one shotting you but in reality they've already killed you on their box by the time they appear around the corner on yours.

I spent alot of time screwing with my connection settings, paid alot of money for a good ethernet cable in Norway to be hardlined to the router, yada yada yada thinking it was my connection but eventually I started noticing it's not really the game that is doing it, it's always 1 or 2 people and they do it from game to game. Then I also started noticing that a huge majority of these people are on new gamertags. Meanwhile the combat exchanges between the rest of the lobby is perfectly normal and nothing is out of place.

What also irritates me is that Europeans are the worst, I think less don't cheat than do. I bought MW3 in Norway so it's the euro (PAL) version and so I get stuck playing with alot of Brits, French and Germans. Jeebus I run up on this crap 3 to 4 times as often in MW3 as I do in Black Ops and when playing Black Ops (US version) I have to play with people that are across the pond. And I have less "lag" when connected to the US from Norway lol. o.O

With the surge in how to cheat videos on youtube and websites that break it down into kiddy talk any asshole that can follow a tutorial now days can and will cheat, ESPECIALLY on consoles.

The surge in cheating lately has gotten to be ridiculous. The future success of online gaming, especially in the console market will be determined by their ability to neutralize cheating I think. I have several friends whom I used to play online with regurarly that simply don't bother with the online play anymore. We had put in a few thousand games of multiplayer Halo 3 together but around Christmas of 2008 maybe? it got to be so bad that we all but completely stopped playing. Sticky grenades were passing through people so often, people were absorbing shots, etc that it was no longer fun for us to play at that point. And I used to love the shit out of some multi Halo 3. I had over 5k games played in like 1.5 years in that game around the time we quit.

Ziel
06-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Xbox 360 is for XBLA-exclusives (Trials Evolution, for example). If you aren't interested in those, then yeah, you'll probably be better off on PC.

Boxy Brown
06-25-2012, 06:23 PM
The only FPS games I played seriously on PC were CS 1.6/Source and America's Army. In all three of those games I was in a clan with a dedicated server, and there was always an Admin on. So hacking was literally never an issue for me. I've also come across more hackers in MW2 for xbox than I thought I would. I always believed that there were very very very VERY few hackers on console games, but I guess that's not the case. That being said, I don't think anyone can make the argument that hacking is less common on PC with a straight face. I mean, shit, I used radar and speedhack for like 2 years in DAoC until everyone started getting banned for it. I was also like 11 years old at the time.

Bragi
06-26-2012, 11:45 AM
So I really am the only guy here who prefers console gaming to PC.

What I don't get is the smug sense of superiority I've experienced from some PC gamers (which I'm glad to say I don't sense here)... who are over 25. Like, do you really have so little going on that that's what you use to feel better than other people? Skill playing video games on something that the rest of us use almost exclusively for work and masturbation?

Clap. Clap. Clap.

Zavon
06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I think the issue with that, Bragoo, is that casuals are rampant in the console scene. Its a staple for us long time gamers to hate casuals.

Valec
06-26-2012, 01:06 PM
So I really am the only guy here who prefers console gaming to PC.

What I don't get is the smug sense of superiority I've experienced from some PC gamers (which I'm glad to say I don't sense here)... who are over 25. Like, do you really have so little going on that that's what you use to feel better than other people? Skill playing video games on something that the rest of us use almost exclusively for work and masturbation?

Clap. Clap. Clap.

I suspect it's mostly leftover from when consoles began their rise. Of course I still feel superior to consolers. Nothing has changed my opinion over the years since the debate really began. I play fewer games than ever these days, but I don't see why that would reduce my smug.

Bragi
06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
I think the issue with that, Bragoo, is that casuals are rampant in the console scene. Its a staple for us long time gamers to hate casuals.

I can respect that.

ofrm1
06-28-2012, 03:29 AM
Played CS:S on various pub and scrim servers since release. Before that was on Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. A hacker would come along in the latter 2 once every two weeks or so and be promptly banned. In all of my experience of gaming, I have never dealt with a hacker for longer than 10 minutes before their ban.

That's the beauty of playing on pc. You're playing on servers that people paid for themselves so they actually give a shit about who is playing on it and not letting annoying mic-spamming, high-latency, hacking fucktards ruining the experience for everyone else. So they have admins on at most times.

Clap. Clap. Clap.

I use my 360 exclusively as a dvd-player. Kinda got tired of the 77-th dull, gray, regenerating health fps where you stick to a wall and take pot shots at enemies mindlessly. That, combined with the fact that pc shooters have far more depth, are way more competitive and give full control to the player is why PC FPS and RTS specifically will always be vastly superior to console.

I'd say half of it is about elitism and half of it is about simply accepting brute facts about the pc vs. console gaming. It's like playing SFIV with an xbox 360 controller against an equally-skilled opponent that's running an x-arcade controller. Yeah, he's an elitist in that he dropped $200 for it; he's also smart because he understands that he'll perform significantly better with it than with a regular controller that by and large, isn't designed for that style of gaming. If you don't feel like dropping $100 for a controller to excel at a game, that's cool. Just expect to die X% more because of that decision.

Sillywilly
06-28-2012, 08:23 AM
I do not agree. For all the truth in what you've said, those same things bring massive drama. The only thing worse than being called a hacker or dealing with a hacker in a random crapshoot match, is when ten of your community members you thought were your friends get together and have you banned for 'hacking', or when a bunch of people don't believe someone among them is hacking and you have to deal with a guy blatantly hacking all day on your community servers. I've even been in communities where after a VAC patch half the leadership just vanished. Banned in stats, never posted again, never played again. My favorite of all though is when a bunch of people get together in a thread where someone posts a 'demo' of someone 'hacking' and everyone starts to see aimbots and wallhacks everywhere. I've posted vids of myself before just to see what happens and gotten hilarious results.

Is there 'less hacking'? Yes. If you stick to dedicated servers with active admins.
Is there less hacking drama messing with your game? No. I don't think so.

Has these things actually happened to you? I've played thousands of FPS matches across everything from UT 2003 Tournament Edition to MW3 on the xbox 360. Hell I had over 5k games of Halo 3 alone. I've shit on people so hard in some of these games that it's not even funny. In all the years I've been playing FPS, and while I'm no MLG Pro by any stretch, I've had my 5 to 1 k/d ratio weeks on xbox live and I've had my 45 and 1 k/d ratio games and not once in the entire time I've been playing FPS have I ever been accused of cheating that I can remember.

Calculate the fact that I've been playing for 2 years from across the pond and the distance/ping has yet to get me accused of cheating even when I get host I find it hard to believe that there is a lot of false accusations concerning cheating, especially amongst experienced gamers.

When I file a report on someone over xbox live it has nothing to do with how well they did but HOW they did what they did. If someone was tracking me through walls in the kill cam while I have ghost pro and they don't even have a spyplane then I know something is up. It doesn't matter if they go 20 and 1 or 1 and 20. If I see consistent suspicious behavior I report them. And I hear people accusing others of cheating online all the time in game chat. So it's not like they report and keep shut. I can't believe that in all my time playing that not one kid has gotten pissed off at getting shit on 45 to 2 or something and accused me of cheating if it's a common thing to do.

When I report someone for cheating it's because the game always, notice I said always stuttered right before they rounded the corner on me and that's only if it happens several times with them and not once with the other players. And I typically wait until it happens across at least a couple of games before I get suspicious and 90% of the time when I check their gamertag you can tell they rolled it recently. I usually wait for the most tell tale signs, like if they have a spy plane and the game lags when they around the corner but it doesn't when they don't have a spy plane. To me that looks like someone hitting a lag switch when they know I'm there and not using it when they don't know there is about to be an encounter. There's lots of little things that start to stand out in obvious patterns when someone is cheating vs incidental lag and skill. If I suspect they are using an aimbot or something like that then I tend to look for limitations in the hardware as benchmarks for whether something is possible, not whether I think they are that good or not. There is most definitely a certain amount of lag involved in everything from the time I press a button to the chain of evens that lead up to the guy on the other side of the country responding to it. Info does not travel that fast over the internet. It's these things I look for when considering whether someone is cheating or not.

In my mind that's why I haven't been called out before for cheating, because the majority of the population takes a similar mindset. I also think it's why in most of the incidents online where people get into it over one of them cheating I can clearly see either from dying to that person myself (killcam replays) or from being behind them in a game while they are on my team that there was something fishy about their behavior. I've got a couple of friends who are far better than the average Live player who get some ridiculous kills/etc and I've also never heard them get called out for cheating. I've played at least a couple thousand games or more with a couple of these guys and not once have they been accused.

Valec
06-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I think the point is, Silly, that on PC you have the option of selecting where you play. You can easily find servers that have constant admin attention in most games that have a server browser. This is not an option on consoles.

So no, not every server you play on in ever PC game will have admins banning hackers. Probably not even most. But they're there.

Boxy Brown
06-28-2012, 03:23 PM
I think the point is, Silly, that on PC you have the option of selecting where you play. You can easily find servers that have constant admin attention in most games that have a server browser. This is not an option on consoles.

So no, not every server you play on in ever PC game will have admins banning hackers. Probably not even most. But they're there.

Not to mention, you can achieve a sense of community with other players who frequent servers, so while there may be a million people playing the game, you know and have a healthy competitive relationship with ~30 players that you know. I'm still in contact with one or two of my old CS buddies/rivals on Steam, about 10 old school Mordred guys, and I'm even facebook friends with a couple of my America's Army clan buddies from back in the day.

Sillywilly
06-28-2012, 03:49 PM

No I totally get that. I had a favorites list of 3 really good servers with excellent admins in UT2003 (my favorite PC shooter when Onslaught mode was first introduced) and because I got good ping to them.

I was asking about him getting accused of cheating. He made it sound like it was a somewhat regular or normal occurrence for people to accuse him of cheating.

Boxy Brown
06-28-2012, 03:56 PM
No I totally get that. I had a favorites list of 3 really good servers with excellent admins in UT2003 (my favorite PC shooter when Onslaught mode was first introduced) and because I got good ping to them.

I was asking about him getting accused of cheating. He made it sound like it was a somewhat regular or normal occurrence for people to accuse him of cheating.

The guy I'm living with now is basically a PC FPS god. He was #1 on his favorite CS server until they banned him, accusing him of hacking. He gets accused all the time in MW3 as well. He's just one of those guys who knows the maps back and forth and knows exactly where you're going to pop out. Plus his mouse pointer skills are top notch. He's like an 1820 in HoN. He's been reported like 100 times for wall hacks and aimbotting. So yeah, it happens quite a bit. I feel like people accuse you less of hacking on a console though since the general belief is that people don't/can't hack on console games.

Valec
06-28-2012, 06:26 PM

My bad. Misunderstood I guess.

Sillywilly
06-29-2012, 07:06 AM
The guy I'm living with now is basically a PC FPS god. He was #1 on his favorite CS server until they banned him, accusing him of hacking. He gets accused all the time in MW3 as well. He's just one of those guys who knows the maps back and forth and knows exactly where you're going to pop out. Plus his mouse pointer skills are top notch. He's like an 1820 in HoN. He's been reported like 100 times for wall hacks and aimbotting. So yeah, it happens quite a bit. I feel like people accuse you less of hacking on a console though since the general belief is that people don't/can't hack on console games.

I assume if you live with him you've seen him play in person and therefore know for a fact that when he's destroying people that he's doing it legit. Perhaps the people he's playing with don't use any tactics themselves and therefore don't understand how a little thinking can put you ahead of the competition.

An example would be when people are trying to camp a corner. For starters alot of these console idiots will sit with their cursor right at the edge of the corner where they have zero chance of actually shooting the person as they round it. They end up having to jerk the cursor over to shoot at the person in time which makes their aim jerky and inaccurate. 2nd they won't try to position themselves in such a way as to make targeting them inconvenient for their opponent. If I suspect incoming around a corner I'm going to position myself in such a way as to make them have to move their cursor as much as possible and if possible against their direction of movement to make it harder to pinpoint me. You don't have to be a moving target yourself to create that illusion, your opponents momentum can be used against them to make shooting at you while you are stationary just as difficult as if you were running by them while they were stationary. These kids will try to camp in a spot or stand in a spot where their opponent could practically not even bother adjusting their aim and still get a bead on the person as they round the corner or come up the stairs.

It pisses me off on xbox live when kids don't use the slightest bit of tactics or strategy and lose every single one of these encounters yet they still interrupt kill streaks or get kills because the game stutters right before they run around the corner. It becomes obvious that some of them just have no idea how to up their game past spray and pray first and hope you get the kill. It's also painfully obvious that many of them resort to using momentary freezes of their connection to shoot at stationary targets to get kills. For example I played against this 1 guy the other day who went like 5 and 12. It pissed me off though because the first 2 times he killed me I was well around a corner and out of sight. So the 3rd and subsequent times I watched his kill cam and when he would see me blow through a hallway or something I'd just freeze up right there before I was out of sight again and would jog in place for half a second while he'd kind of casually pop me with his sniper.

A lot of these idiots would be 3 times better players if they took the time they spent watching cheat videos on youtube and spent that time thinking "oh yeah, when they run up those stairs I'm going to be in plain sight and off balance myself so I probably shouldn't hang out there".