PDA

View Full Version : Defiance - MMO shooter coming out soon

Taolas
03-25-2013, 05:53 PM
We had a news post on this in 2011. It's coming out in a few days, and was just wondering if anyone has been watching it. It's the one that is linking with SyFy for a tv show and stuff, No monthly fee and a cash shop that doesn't have many details.

Can't find any well laid out info about it :/ here's a mini review: http://www.keenandgraev.com/2013/03/22/defiance-pcc-onsole-beta-impressions

Alex Mars
03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Defiance is a soft-core shooter with a gloss of survival gameplay over it. You have to keep track of ammo in a firefight but more ammo is always nearby in one of many conveniently placed ammo caches. The game at low levels (all that were available for the beta this weekend) was conventional themepark/linear story quests with side missions.

There are no classes, the origin selection only decides your initial clothing and weapon. Gun and vehicle skills are gained by using specific guns and vehicles and mainly reduce recoil and that sort of thing. The game penalizes players for shooting while moving by spreading the reticle wider and reducing accuracy. If there are melee weapons for the players to use I never saw one, so all my melee was bashing someone with my gun.

The basic weapons are the usual suspects: handgun, shotgun, assault rifle, and sniper rifle. I was very annoyed not to be able to select semi-auto fire or three round burst with the AR and there are no semi-auto rifles or carbines in the game. All characters get a quad runner to drive early in the game.

All characters have an implanted AI in their head that tells them things and directs them to quests as well as granting various powers like stealth cloak and enhanced accuracy/damage that you can build like a curiously grid patterned skill tree.

The game itself is tied to an upcoming series on SyFy and will supposedly have some sort of effect on the show.

Due to the number of bugs I saw this close to the 02 April release I will wait for it to ripen a bit before I buy it, and I think it is free to play after the box purchase.

Alex Mars
03-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Oh yeah, the UI team were fucking idiots that thought they were being innovative. I will offer one example: it takes 4 mouse clicks to accept a team invite.

Taolas
03-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks, it seems like having to meet a set schedule with SyFy would make it inevitably rushed. Were there damage bonuses for different body parts or anything? Like headshots? How did range worked? Determined by gun, or what? What about defense, were there many ways to avoid damage like taking cover?

Alex Mars
03-26-2013, 12:15 AM
It is a real shooter as far as that goes, ranges and damage were based on the weapon, you can take cover behind crap and each character has a force field belt, successful headshots routinely killed by inflicting criticals (sniper rifles FTW), no other body location seemed to be relevant. I did get criticals with AR bursts but I don't know if there was a head hit involved or not.

It is shooter-light, you heal very quickly once out of combat and ammo is plentiful.