PDA

View Full Version : Take this job a shove it!

Taoist
05-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Since we had a thread about working hard and doing you're best as a worker. I felt like talking about those situations that it still did not work out.

Mostly it a trust/respect issue with me, I work alot of hours and bust my ass for all companies I have worked for yet when I feel I'm not getting the respect I want thats the tipping point for me. Never money issue.

Just wondering what everyones best take this job and shove it moment was.

I quit a job before because even after putting massive hours and taking care of high stress projects that not alot of people would be willing to do they still did not trust me and spied on my web activity. I never do anything out of line just the typical news reading and the forum posting time to time... They never complained just spied I thought it was strange, why some people feel the need to mess with good workers I will never know.

It might be a silly reason, but these kinds of positions are high demand and high stress and my level of taking bullshit from the company I'm busting my ass for is very very low.

Zoobi
05-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Only had one time at a restaurant I worked at that they wanted to start splitting up tips between all the waiters/waitresses. There's no way in hell I'm going to split my tips up with some asshole that didn't earn them.

VKhaun
05-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Q: Did you actually tell them to shove it, or you're thinking about it/going to push back now that you know this?

For me, it's when my job becomes unclear. I want to come in, punch in, know what I'm doing, do it, and leave. The place doesn't have to make sense. They can be as stupid or screwed up as they want. But my task has got to make sense from where I pick it up to as far as I take it. I need to be able to say I DID THE JOB TO THE LETTER to people who try to give me shit, to stay separated from how screwed up the working world can get. If I am supposed to get results, I need to be free to get those results.

If they can't properly articulate a task they assign me, won't give me priorities, or put me in a lose-lose situation I'm gone.

Job I'm trying to leave now...

We've had a problem since the day I started at this store. No one replaces the filter sitting on top of the floor buffer machine. I won't spend two paragraphs describing how retarded the machine's design is and what it looks like, but it is enough to say that it covers all our products in a fine dust as it's driven up and down the aisles by the floor people. Products that don't sell quickly accumulate LOTS of fine dust.

We get to the point of doing a remodel.
The guy in charge of the remodel hands me a fucking feather duster...
This is his plan for the ultimate 'grand reopening'.

I look at him -as the little Mexican floor guy goes past us reaching up to hold the buffer machine handle-
like "Are you retarded?" and he starts telling me how it's not much added work or even a hard thing to do. It's not an 'unreasonable' thing to ask for so it doesn't matter about my job description... and all I can do is stare at him because he doesn't get that I don't care about if I have to play french maid. I am astounded he does not see or recognize the overall situation is ass backwards fucked. A hardware store is like a five minute walk from our front door and they probably sell something that could replace this filter while a new filter is ordered or better yet a new buffer machine, But they're going to hand us feather dusters. Next they'll stick their fingers in their ears and go LA LA LA while the little Mexican guy laughs up and down the aisles covering their shit in black dust and dirt.

You couldn't make that shit up.
But guess who it's going to come back on?
Not the district manager, that's for sure.

When I put in two weeks notice, I'm going to look at the machine for a manufacturer and order a filter myself. Gift wrap that shit in the ugliest tackiest wrapping paper I can get, and have my store manager give it to the district manager that I and three other people personally told about this at his last meeting.

Lots more examples, but I'm in wall of text territory now.

kiroj
05-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Only had one time at a restaurant I worked at that they wanted to start splitting up tips between all the waiters/waitresses. There's no way in hell I'm going to split my tips up with some asshole that didn't earn them.

I've been in that exact same situation, and it's complete bullshit. I quit as soon as they announced the policy. I was one of the top earners because I busted my ass during my shift, and I wasn't about to split my earnings with the lazy asses who did the minimum necessary to keep their jobs. In fact, it was pressure from the underachieving workers (who outnumbered the high-achieving workers) on the manager that led to the decision to go with an even tip split. Within two months of my departure, the restaurant went from being one of the busiest establishments in town to almost going out of business. Why? Because the service sucked. All of the hard workers left to find new jobs, and the restaurant was left with a bunch of slackers who focused on letting their co-workers do as much of the work as possible. The end result is that damned little got accomplished by anyone.

As I look back on the whole situation years later, I sure am grateful that, as an established professional, I no longer have to worry about being forced to share my income with those who don't work as hard as I do.

Random Havoc
05-12-2010, 12:51 PM
...it was pressure from the underachieving workers (who outnumbered the high-achieving workers) on the manager that led to the decision to go with an even tip split....

By about something like 80/20 perchance?!?

Bragi
05-12-2010, 01:15 PM
I would talk about my bartending experience; but a more recent job was worse.

It was when I was working in my school's general access computer lab. Long story short, the place was great until a few key people left, we got insanely busy at all hours of the day/night, and I got passed-over for a promotion twice in a row. The manager was so bad that each time I was passed-over, she actually told me I was in contention for it, was waiting for a response from the other person, then I heard nothing about it until the next semester's meeting.

I still have a couple friends who work there. They all hate it, but they're foreign students and need the tuition fee waiver.

kiroj
05-12-2010, 03:20 PM
By about something like 80/20 perchance?!?

Amazingly, yes!