PDA

View Full Version : Aion server mergers...

Sillywilly
07-04-2010, 05:49 PM
they're happening on July the 14th. I'm not sure to what extent or how low population got but obviously its low enough that mergers instead of character transfers became a necessity. From what I can tell they are going from 14 servers to 5 in North America. 18 to 8 in Europe.

http://powerwiki.na.aiononline.com/aion/Server+Merge+FAQ

Unless I read that wrong.

Yet another MMO in NA/Europe with retention problems. The past 3 years or so has been a really really tough MMO market.

VKhaun
07-04-2010, 08:32 PM
The past three years have been an INCREDIBLE MMO market with tons of people who want to game for years and years with the same game. They've just been putting out shit products.

Draconian
07-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Can't just keep making your game 95% WoW with some new bells n whistles. No one will do WoW like WoW does WoW. You have to give people a reason to walk away from their primary MMO experience, and a clone of what they used to play with some minor differences and a fraction of the development and funding poured into it, isn't gonna make it happen.

Too many developers/publishing companies think they're gonna steal some of the WoW pie instead of baking their own fucking pie.

Esfires
07-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Can't just keep making your game 95% WoW with some new bells n whistles. No one will do WoW like WoW does WoW. You have to give people a reason to walk away from their primary MMO experience, and a clone of what they used to play with some minor differences and a fraction of the development and funding poured into it, isn't gonna make it happen.

Too many developers/publishing companies think they're gonna steal some of the WoW pie instead of baking their own fucking pie.

This is one of the reasons that FFXIV is appealing to me so much. Why it is easing some of the retarded tedium of FFXI, it is still managing to maintain its own identity, its own flavor.

Zoobi
07-04-2010, 11:13 PM
This is one of the reasons that FFXIV is appealing to me so much. Why it is easing some of the retarded tedium of FFXI, it is still managing to maintain its own identity, its own flavor.

It's essentially the same thing though, pve groups out the wazoo. Game doesn't even feature any pvp(which is a good thing for a healthy mmo population, but yeah). It's not really a different game in the genre, it's just asian inspired instead of western inspired.

Taolas
07-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Dropping it all on WoW seems stupid to me. It's the current generation starting with Everquest, and because it's been done to death, new variants aren't very entertaining. I' haven't played WoW and am sick to death of the current rehashing.

I guess I should just substitute "generation 1 mmo" for when people say WoW-like, huh?

Landon
07-04-2010, 11:23 PM
I am hoping/thinking that Fallout Online will be the different pie we are all hoping for...

Sillywilly
07-05-2010, 05:40 AM
The past three years have been an INCREDIBLE MMO market with tons of people who want to game for years and years with the same game. They've just been putting out shit products.

Well yeah, that has certainly been a culprit if not the culprit.

I was speaking more from the companies perspective with their "failed" (used loosely) MMOs.

I wish I knew exactly how many people there are out there though that would leave WoW for a good MMO. For me its hard to fathom because I've seen pretty much every MMO released since LotRO as a WoW killer but maybe WoW is that one MMO that just didn't do anything the way I like it personally.

There's been several MMOs release that I would much rather play than WoW which makes me wonder how large of a percentage of the MMO population can actually leave their first MMO and call another one "home". I've played LotRO and Warhammer up to a year at a time (but not entirely consistently) but neither has ever had that "settled in for the long haul" feeling as DAoC had.