PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars 2 wins Gamescom Best Online Game

Graveworm
08-20-2010, 12:36 PM
For this and other Guild Wars 2 coverage at Gamescom, check out http://www.arena.net/blog/. Looks like Guild Wars 2 is already starting to live up to the hype. Feel free to discuss anything from the blog in this thread.

Marou
08-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Show me a gameplay video of an equal level fight, from start to finish. Anything else is ignoring what you spend 99% of your time in the game doing. Its like an FPS trailer that focuses on enemy animations, the guns, and the surroundings, but you have no idea if it plays like Quake III or Counterstrike because they haven't actually shown you anything important.

/edit: So, I found one...and its no different than ANYTHING ELSE, except for pretty graphics and animations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBETDTr4l_s

The first part is an instance or something. 4:12 on is standard overworld stuff and is the best example of the gameplay and combat system as the average person will experience it 99% of the time.

Taolas
08-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Complete fail! Why are you making me hunt down the demo videos myself??

Let's see, a neat class and a dragon in the middle of the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnV9ESWqlOA

I couldn't find a good version of this on youtube. I think this is a new character doing stuff: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30947
There's other ones floating around youtube too.

Yeah, I'm not very hyped up from those videos. Some cool stuff though. The warrior class looks boring.

Marou
08-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I'm not very hyped up from those videos. Some cool stuff though.

I'm thinking they believe they can outwarcraft WoW, by basically having WoW with more well thought out PvP. Maybe they'll even be successful, but it won't be on account of me playing it. *shrug*

Taolas
08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't equate the two (well we've all had the discussion in another thread lol). My expectation for guildwars 2 was for the combat to have a better, more upgraded feel to it than the first, but so far it looks fairly similar. Like that video is how I would expect a large dragon encounter would be in the first one... was hoping for more in the second. I'll keep watching for more though.

Draconian
08-20-2010, 08:09 PM
This game's saving grace is a lack of subscription fees. Only reason it's gonna survive.

Graveworm
08-21-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm thinking they believe they can outwarcraft WoW, by basically having WoW with more well thought out PvP.

Well thought out PvP and lack of subscription fee are far from the only things that set Guild Wars 2 apart from World of Warcraft. Now, obviously it isn't your kind of game, but it is going to be great at what its trying to do.

Zavon
08-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Well thought out PvP and lack of subscription fee are far from the only things that set Guild Wars 2 apart from World of Warcraft. Now, obviously it isn't your kind of game, but it is going to be great at what its trying to do.

Now you've researched this way more than I have, so I'm deferring to your judgment on the topic. So, can you explain how that is different from WoW at all? I mean I've read snippets here and there, but that gameplay footage looked just like a ( absolutely gorgeous) WoW clone to me.

geathiel
08-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Sounds like the next AoC. I'm sure the well thought out PvP will be just as good WAR's 'well thought out' PvP.

Graveworm
08-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Now you've researched this way more than I have, so I'm deferring to your judgment on the topic. So, can you explain how that is different from WoW at all? I mean I've read snippets here and there, but that gameplay footage looked just like a ( absolutely gorgeous) WoW clone to me.

Sorry, but I'm not going to feed your laziness. I've already discussed Guild Wars 2 at length on this forum and the link in the OP has all the information you'd need.

VKhaun
08-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Yuck.

Taolas
08-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Ok time for some better videos.

ACTIVE dodging WHILE casting (wut?), an event, etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSDlH4LRakw

Actually fighting dragon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8GJcGIVbI

Little more about environment interaction, scaling world map bosses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7E5Ziga3uM

All that stuff looks A LOT more like something I'd want to play.

Zavon
08-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the vids Taolas, I'm in agreement with you. Those videos (mainly the first one) showed off some very nice gameplay.

Zoobi
08-22-2010, 10:15 AM
The 3rd one, holy fucking hell Divinity's Reach looks absofuckinglutely gorgeous. I'm probably overhyping the game, but damn everything about GW2 looks amazing.

Draconian
08-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Can you jump?

Zavon
08-22-2010, 12:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5Zv6o.gif

Sillywilly
08-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Riddle me this. HTH does a game with no sub fee come up with all these features and host an MMORPG? Something doesn't make sense to me. Either a free MMO like this one should actually lose money rather than make it, or current MMOs with a sub fee like LotRO/etc should be filthy rich and have no excuse for a lack of development. What am I missing?

Taolas
08-22-2010, 02:01 PM
The 3rd one, holy fucking hell Divinity's Reach looks absofuckinglutely gorgeous. I'm probably overhyping the game, but damn everything about GW2 looks amazing.

I didn't put this video in because most of it wasn't about DR, but the first part does have more DR footage. It's talks about your home instance, how you influence it, etc. A good use of instancing imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxEUmBNmcyE

Marou
08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Active dodging (demonstrated) and not rooted while casting/waiting on ability timers. Thanks Taolas, you've taken me from 0 interest to "I'd try it" in one video. Its not as active as something like Tera, Blade and Soul, or even DDO; but I'll no longer call it a straight WoW clone.

Taolas
08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
np. I'm sure the bigger spells will root you though.

Zoobi
08-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Looks like they're incorporating some Bioware-Dragon Age esque options for your personal story. I love Dragon Age so this is nothing but good news for me. This game just gets better and better everytime I see news about it. I loved Guild Wars, but Guild Wars 2 will surely make me an Arena.net fanboy if they 1)Come through on their promises and 2)Keep up these awesome little things like the personal story being like Dragon Age origin stories.

Aeinna
08-22-2010, 07:26 PM
How is there active dodging with no aiming? How will that work in PvP? I mean, if no one is aiming, how are you able to dodge? I is confused.

Boxy Brown
08-22-2010, 07:35 PM
WOW that looks like an awful game. Then again Guild Wars sucked to begin with so I'm not surprised.

Graveworm
08-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Riddle me this. HTH does a game with no sub fee come up with all these features and host an MMORPG? Something doesn't make sense to me. Either a free MMO like this one should actually lose money rather than make it, or current MMOs with a sub fee like LotRO/etc should be filthy rich and have no excuse for a lack of development. What am I missing?

By the looks of some of the gameplay footage I've seen, it appears that the world will be broken up by zone walls much like the original EverQuest, which will greatly reduce the load per server. Really, it's a small price to pay for a high quality free MMORPG.

Marou
08-22-2010, 08:39 PM
By the looks of some of the gameplay footage I've seen, it appears that the world will be broken up by zone walls much like the original EverQuest, which will greatly reduce the load per server. Really, it's a small price to pay for a high quality free MMORPG.

It wouldn't surprise me either to find their network code is a jillion times more quality than the code present in a normal MMO; thereby making the whole thing much cheaper to run. These guys blew my mind with how they distributed Guild Wars 1 (small download, rest of the game loads in as you're playing), even if I didn't enjoy the game itself.

Esfires
08-22-2010, 09:00 PM
It wouldn't surprise me either to find their network code is a jillion times more quality than the code present in a normal MMO; thereby making the whole thing much cheaper to run. These guys blew my mind with how they distributed Guild Wars 1 (small download, rest of the game loads in as you're playing), even if I didn't enjoy the game itself.

Ryzom does the same thing, I think. Small download to start, rest of the game downloads in the background while you're playing around in the tutorial area. These are the only two games I've ever seen do that, and it's a wonderful experience to be able to jump right into something new as soon as you get the urge to do it.

Marou
08-23-2010, 07:19 AM
How is there active dodging with no aiming? How will that work in PvP? I mean, if no one is aiming, how are you able to dodge? I is confused.

Yeah, this one is a mystery to me too.

Taolas
08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Yeah not sure. The one ranger gameplay video has barely any combat and is low quality. There is one part where the Ranger tries to shoot at something out of range and seemingly misses, with the arrows falling short.

Graveworm
08-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Ryzom does the same thing, I think. Small download to start, rest of the game downloads in the background while you're playing around in the tutorial area. These are the only two games I've ever seen do that, and it's a wonderful experience to be able to jump right into something new as soon as you get the urge to do it.

World of Warcraft does this with the new Cataclysm launcher. I'm not sure how small the required files are, but from what I understand you can now jump in and start playing while you download the non-essential stuff.

Zavon
08-23-2010, 06:57 PM
It looked to me like you shoot or attack your enemy's last location. If they are there when the attack reaches, then they get hit with it. Each time they attack in the video the mob is highlighted, then the projectile is sent flaming to that location. That would be my guess on how it works. Which I think is going to make for some very interesting PvP especially in terms of dynamics for melee vs ranged.

Also @ Graveworm: I hope you do realize that I just asking you to talk about the video (before Taoloas posted that awesome one)-- and not give me some kind of breakdown of the game. I was simply hoping you'd point out how that vid wasn't exactly like WoW. Of course, that's irrelevant now. Taolas's vid has me foaming at the mouth.

Zavon
08-23-2010, 07:08 PM
I also found it interesting that in the video, the elementalist had a power that attacked from the ground. I assume that ability was undodgeable, however the trade off was that she could not move while casting it. This has some very interesting implications for gameplay. I can't wait to see how it's going to turn out.

Taolas
08-24-2010, 06:58 PM
I noticed the ranger's multishot was aimed. Still haven't seen anything dealing with auto targeting.

I read that the energy system is going to be more long term oriented than GW1. In GW1 you had a small energy bar that recharged at different rates depending on class/buffs and it could run out fast with powerful skills. They also said energy denial will be different because your mana bar will be larger and not like a micro managed resource. The powerful elite spells will have long timers to fit into the energy mechanic too. So for regaining mana, there will be a mechanic to recharge a large chuck of mana after a certain period of time, in the demo that was with a potion with a cool down, but I'd be willing to bet they'll come up with a better mechanic than that. Potions just don't fit into GW.

/edit
I finally found a good quality ranger video in English. It doesn't answer the dodging question, but it's a nice video anyways. You'll notice an elementalist uses fire breath and then runs around while still spewing fire... I can't tell if their movement was just unlocked when the target died or if they could run around at any time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh1OHBI4uM
That's quite the back dash skill at 4:44.

Taolas
08-25-2010, 01:24 PM
/edit deleted necro stuff since it has its own thread.

Here's a video from the demo recorded on the computer, so there's no background noise. It loads better in IE for me.

http://vid.buffed.de/v/mvzjEXAUHA7/Guild-Wars-2/Wartower-Spotlight-GC-2010-Folge-7/

ehra
09-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Along these lines, yes. I remember reading somewhere where they said that they made some decisions while developing their games that make them very efficient to run on their end.

Also, I'm pretty sure aiming is in for the most part. As a warrior, for example, you can push an attack skill and you'll just swing in front of you, even if you have no one targeted and there's no one in range. Rangers can fire arrows at targets too far away to hit, and so on. I think there will also be some skills that will require a target and will be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to dodge.

Pyrrhus
09-13-2010, 11:07 PM
If any of you fuckers played a ranger in GW you'd realize that moving targets would almost never get hit unless with a fast arrow. They would simply *dodge*, albeit this is a completely different movement system and etc I figured the active dodge is to dodge stuff like that when you see it cast. Adding some twitch to the game?

Graveworm
09-13-2010, 11:22 PM
If any of you fuckers played a ranger in GW you'd realize that moving targets would almost never get hit unless with a fast arrow. They would simply *dodge*, albeit this is a completely different movement system and etc I figured the active dodge is to dodge stuff like that when you see it cast. Adding some twitch to the game?

I am well aware that you can dodge projectiles in Guild Wars, and I've mentioned it in another GW2 thread.