PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIV Collectors Edition launches today.

Esfires
09-22-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm still patching at the moment, so I can't really say much about it yet. Apparently they launched with hardware mouse support, though. so that's a plus.

Marou
09-22-2010, 04:46 PM
You actually bought that trash? Did you play it at all beforehand?

Zoobi
09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Waste of money unless you played it before hand(you were the other one in alpha/beta right?) and know you like it.

Esfires
09-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I was in alpha/beta, yeah. I may not stick with it as my main game, but I know that I at least want to play it for a while.

Taolas
09-22-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm interested in how the guilds are since they weren't in OB at all. The gladiator guild looked fun, but who knows?

Landon
09-23-2010, 05:39 AM
I was looking forward to this.. but everyone I have talked to says its trash. I really want a good MMO...

Marou
09-23-2010, 05:53 AM
So play UWO.

Esfires
09-23-2010, 11:59 AM
It's a good MMO, but it's not for everybody. Just like the first one, I guess.

dr.wang
09-24-2010, 01:41 AM
How is it a good MMO and what the fuck do you mean its not for everyone? its yet another generic MMO based of a franchise generic JRPGs the only people I can imagine playing this are some sort of horrible mix of weabo and WoW fan who i am forced to assume is about as likable as a hybrid of White Micheal Jackson's face and Hitler's anus.

Esfires
09-24-2010, 02:05 AM
I'm not sure where you get the "weeaboo" impression, as it definitely doesn't have that extreme eastern aesthetic that most asian MMO's have.

By "It's not for everyone" I'm mostly referring to the fact that it's of an older school of MMO in regards to pacing. While they've said that they definitely didn't want it to have the extreme leveling curve of FFXI, and they want it to be mostly solo-able to the level cap, it still has an older more contemplative journey to end game than something like WoW/Warhammer/etc.

It's got a unique combat system (that I like), probably the best story immersion in the industry, certainly the best graphics in the industry at the moment, it's not another WoW clone, an incredible class system, is cross-platform (if that matters to you), great group mechanics, and is guaranteed not to go balls up three months after release.

Plus, on its deathbed it will receive total consciousness. So it's got that going for it. Which is nice.

dr.wang
09-24-2010, 02:16 AM
What are you talking about? older school mmo? EQ, UO and hell even SWO had you doing other shit besides combat, not fun things mind you but still. As for the weabo thing its a fucking FF game from the franchise that shoved Cloud out of its "creative" crotch. And i dont see anything incredible for its class system nor do i see its graphics as being the best in the industry at all, even among MMOs.

As for it not ballsing up for in three months that should be east one its an square game so it could have a bug that causes you computer to explode sharp bits of metal and plastic into your balls and FF fans will still say it was the greatest thing ever. That and the game HAS NO BALLS! it does nothing new at least APB tried that alone makes it better then most the other MMOs coming out now.

Esfires
09-24-2010, 04:50 AM
Calm down, wipe your chin, have a seat. I assure you that FFXIV did not kill your father, though the investigation into the rape of your mother is still ongoing...

There is "other stuff" to do besides combat. There are whole classes based entirely around crafting, with a largely user-based economy, guild leaves, storyline quests, class quests, etc. I'm not even sure what the Guild system is yet (NPC guilds, not player guilds) so we'll have to see how that plays out. The class system is awesome, being able to basically assemble your own class from the skills you've acquired playing the different professions is the closest that any modern MMO has come to an AO-style skill based system. You think it's a weeaboo game because of it's name. Guess I can't really argue against that. 'Course, I don't really need to, such a supposition collapses under its own weight without needing a counter argument. And while I can understand someone not thinking that's its art style or aesthetic choices are the most beautiful in the industry or that the game engine doesn't run well enough on low to mid range computers, the technical quality of its graphics are, without legitimate dispute, the best of any MMO out there.

While the game is not revolutionary, neither is it concurrent with the trends of its competitors in the MMO field. If anything it harkens back to an older time, when players weren't glued to their experience bar or tallying up meaningless achievements. Its the kind of game where you can expect a real honest-to-God community to form. After a series of MMO's that have impacted the gaming community like sugar cubes, intense burst of flavor that fade quickly and leave only corrosion in their wake, it's nice to play a game that has a more measured, meatier feel to it. For the moment it feels like I have my feet on solid ground again in the MMO world, and that's enough to keep me interested for at least the first free month.

Marou
09-26-2010, 08:53 PM
So, did you run out of your 8 hours yet this week? :p

Esfires
09-26-2010, 09:42 PM
You don't get 8 hours of xp, that's not how it works.

They figured up the amount of experience that a person would gain from grinding straight for 8 hours. After that amount, the xp starts to drop off. But it applies separately to each class. If I hit my fatigue level on my Pugilist, I can just make him a Lancer and work on that for a while at full xp. Or I can go craft, shop, whatever. Whenever you're not actively grinding, your fatigue will be regenerating. Plus I think the whole thing resets every couple of days or something like that.

So no, I haven't hit my limit. As I'm not the kind of player that subsist off of any Doritos crumbs that are within arm's reach and pees in an old Mountain Dew bottle, I doubt that I ever will.

Cross
10-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Sounds interesting, let us know how you like it after leveling up some more Esfires.

Esfires
10-04-2010, 06:06 PM
There are two measurements of progress. There's your physical level, which allows you to distribute stats at every level up and (I think) might also effect your HP and MP levels. And then there's your class rank, the progress you've accrued with each individual profession.

I'm not even sure what my level is, I think somewhere around 15. My highest class is Lancer, about halfway through rank 11. I also brought Pugilist to 6? in order to get the Second Wind skill (basically Chakra from previous FF games) and I brought Conjurer to 6 to get the first Cure spell. I also have blacksmithing to 9 and mining to about 10 or 11, plus I've done a little carpentry.

Levequests are a sort of daily quest that you can do (you can actually do them ever 36 hours), organized by level range and group size. Quite a bit of my combat ranks, most of my mining rank, and all my crafting ranks have been achieved by performing levequests, which have a respectable xp and gil reward as well as the occasional piece of loot. The rest would be from grinding and the main story quests. Levequests are especially nice for leveling a crafting skill on the side, as all the materials required for the leve are provided for you.

Combat is fun, especially when you can begin putting together your own hotbars by using the skills you've earned from various classes. I've been sticking to Lancer mostly, but I'll be branching out eventually to pick up other class skills.

Currently my hot bar contains:

Light Strike: the basic lancer attack.
Heavy Strike:the secondary Lancer attack. It's similar to Light Strike, but it takes more stamina to use and roots the target.
Moonstrike: A Lancer skill that consumes TP, it does extra damage and inhibits the target's TP growth.
Skewer: A Lancer attack that consumes TP and that does extra damage and hits every enemy between you and the target, increasing in power with each enemy it strikes.
Second Wind: A Pugilist skill that consumes TP, it heals me for maybe 1/4 to 1/5 of my HP and cools down in about a minute.
Cure: A Conjurer skill that consumes MP, it heals me or another friendly target for a bit more than Second Wind and has no cooldown.
Ferocity: A Lancer skill that costs 20 HP and increases the damage of my next attack.
Speed Surge: A Lancer skill that has no cost, it places a buff on me that increases my stamina regen rate and allows my attacks to put a debuff on the target that returns hp to anybody that attacks it.

HP and MP are self explanatory. HP regens when you put your weapon up, and regens at an increased rate when standing still. MP can only be regened at Aether Gates and Nodes scattered throughout the landscape, through certain abilities, and through items.
Stamina is the resource that each class uses to execute its skills in battle. Every skill takes some amount of stamina which various depending on the skill's potency. The stamina bar refills quickly at a constant rate through battle as it is used up by the player.
TP is generated by succesfully attacking the enemy. The TP bar holds a maximum of 3000 TP, with most TP consuming skills costing 1000 TP. It refills quickly, 3 to 4 successful hits on the enemy usually generates enough to pull off a 1000 TP skill. Most special skills in battle consume TP, with more powerful or infrequently used skills being relegated to MP.

The game has so far retained its appeal for me, though time will tell if that carries through to the long term. There are plenty of problems with the game, or course. Menus are still laggy, especially in crowded areas. NPC's and other characters can take a little while to load up on screen in a crowded area. Both of these are related to server-side lag, and are not due to your local client. The largest problem right now lies with the economy, though. The economy is entirely player-based, with everything except starting weapons and armor being player crafted. The crafting system is actually very complex, which I see as a good thing. I've been specializing in blacksmithing, for instance. Blacksmithing turns raw ore and other materials obtained by mining into bottom-of-the-pyramid level goods. I don't make spears, those are reserved for carpenters. But I might make the spear head, or the spear but. To make the spear head, I might need to use a glue obtained from an Alchemist who got the raw materials from a botanist. This type of system is normally too complex to support a healthy economy, but when every item has to be player crafted the demand exists to make it work quite well.

The problem lies not in the crafting system, but in the system that exists to deliver those goods to market. The devs seem hellbent on not having an Auction House. They seem to want to create a system where players will develop relationships with other crafters to acquire materials, and with particular sellers to acquire their weapons and armor. The devs are on the right road to doing this, but they're not there yet. As it stands, each player gets a Retainer, an NPC assigned to you who can hold your extra goods and sell them bazaar-style to other players. Your retainer sets up shop in the market wards, a series of instances where players can go to browse the various bazaars. The problem is that there is currently no organization to the market wards, and no way to run a search of all the goods being sold in the bazaar. If you want something, you have to either shout for it in chat, or pick a random market ward instance and literally browse through all the inventories of the crowd of NPC's in that ward. The devs have already announced plans to organize the wards in the next week or two. Certain wards will have their taxes eased on the selling of certain goods. There will be a ward for everything from Lancer's weapons to raw fish, and everything in between. That will certainly help but the only real fix will be organized wards plus a way to easily search and find out which retainers are selling which goods. Thankfully the devs have already said that they intend to look into adding a search feature. If it is robust enough and comes quickly enough, I can see a healthy and very unique economy emerging in the game.