+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New Guildwars 2 Videos: Thief Class (revealed!), Pistols, Guardian, Norn.

Best Thief video I've seen:
    http://static.youku.com/v1.0.0140/v/...0bWw=&showAd=0

At about 5:20 he rapes three spiders stylishly. Hopefully they will show challenging mobs that inflict conditions and stuff soon.

Also, PAX week is starting.
    http://www.arena.net/blog/pax-east-week-begins
    Last edited by Taolas; 03-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Default Re: New Guildwars 2 Videos: Thief Class (revealed!), Pistols, Guardian, Norn.

Cannot fucking wait for this game to come out. None of the MMOs that have been released so far this year have been able to keep my attention. I still play DCUO, but I've done most of the things there is to be done in the game and have all but a few pieces of tier 2 left to get. PVP is plagued by people exploiting current overpowered mechanics since its so easy to level up characters in the game so I can only stomach it for so long. Here's hoping that GW2(and it likely will) keeps my attention. At least theres a plethora of games to keep me busy this spring until GW2/Diablo 3 are out.

There will be healing in GW2 just no pure healing class that has a bar full of heals keeping a group alive by themselves. Healing is also position/aoe based there are no heals that target other players. You laydown a healing well or activate a AoE HoT heal, its up to your team to reap the benefits.

My only worry is that without the typical target based large healing that focus fire will = automatic death for the target of said focus fire in PvP. Still looking forward to GW2 hope is casual friendly like GW1 where skill is rewarded not time spent farming gear.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is it is hard to tell if they are authentic"
    Abraham Lincoln - 1864

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    I don't know about a million bazillion... I hope I can still do support and cast heal spells when I want to. Especially in PvE. Leveling up against mobs you can 1v1 and a boss you gang up on I can see no healer class, but max level against enemies you can't necessarily 1v1? How are you going to do all that dodging and rolling and positioning when you're in some random hallway of a dungeon trying not to get extra aggro, or a walkway around a structure?

I'm not AGAINST no healing class. I like it for PvP where every fight is an even fight, not a game of tag-the-healer. But there are gaps left when simply amputating pure healers, that positional skills, area skills, and shield stances don't cover in PvE against things much tougher then you, on unfriendly terrain.

I have a sinking feeling the guardian is going to have the healer role using damage absorbing shield effects to allow self heals to catch up, instead of raw green numbers, and lots of people are going to be disillusioned real quick about the idea of there being no healer unless shield bypass/dispell skills are easy to come by for players but not used by PvE mobs.
    I actually didn't put that much thought into, I was just jumping on the band wagon of something new. And planning on going along for the ride.

However, now reading your post and Taolas' and Zavon's repsonse, I honestly would not mind either scenario being the end-game. If the guardian becomes the "healer" class, that's cool. If not, and the class is properly distributed among every class in the group, that might be better. Who knows, here's hoping for more info on this down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Taoist View Post
    My only worry is that without the typical target based large healing that focus fire will = automatic death for the target of said focus fire in PvP. Still looking forward to GW2 hope is casual friendly like GW1 where skill is rewarded not time spent farming gear.
    Remember the skill vids of all the shields and deflections. The Warrior in shield stance didn't seem to take any kind of damage from the fire breath used on him. Same with the ranger and guardian reflecting projectiles. The most very basic form of group PvP strategy regardless of game type, is turtling when being focused, going on offense when free to do so, and controlling space with position.

I think a lot of people lose sight of this when games give players really big effects like DAoC's spread heals or AE CC and force you to throw everything you've got at killing the guy putting out the biggest numbers, but I've always preferred smaller 2v2, or 3v3, fights in those kinds of games exactly because they so quickly degrade into this defense/offense swapping. When it gets to that point simply hitting the right buttons in the right order won't do it. You have to really pay attention to who's going where and what they can do.

I'm very excited to have that kind of battle encouraged by GW2, and I think it's better then bait-and-switch cons other games have used on players by advertising group tactics and then delivering target prioritizing contests.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 03-08-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Really hoping the WvWvW turns out well. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

It'd be interesting to get focus fired on from range and then use a skill to reflect projectiles. I bet using the guardian circle of no escape on a Thief will be quite amusing too.

That WvW sounds awesome. I hope it turns out well too. I love the idea behind resource gathering in order to build seige engines and walls and stuff, it'll feel like a large scale RTS. BOMB!!

Yeah looks like each class has some defense skills. However there are counters to these defense skills, it will come down to balancing based on group size I imagine. I would be happy if 1-6 vs 1-6 was balanced I always liked the smaller battles.

Thief looks solid but I always play rogue time classes or melee going to try a caster for once.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is it is hard to tell if they are authentic"
    Abraham Lincoln - 1864

I forget, how big were all the PvP groups in GW1? I know the randoms and smaller PvP are 4v4, HA was 8. It sounded like they are aiming for 5v5 in GW2 organized PvP, which sounds like a good number.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolas View Post
    I forget, how big were all the PvP groups in GW1? I know the randoms and smaller PvP are 4v4, HA was 8. It sounded like they are aiming for 5v5 in GW2 organized PvP, which sounds like a good number.
    Yeah Random Arena is 4 vs 4. HA and GvG is 8.... bad number imo too many for a tight knit group and too small to really be a battle with fully engaging splits.

5 is a good number, 15 is good for larger scale.

I know GW1 cant be balanced around 1 vs 1 but I hope GW2 is kind of balanced around it. Hoping there are not the zero chance match ups in GW2 like there are in GW1.
    Abraham Lincoln - 1864

HA and GvG is 8.... bad number imo too many for a tight knit group and too small to really be a battle with fully engaging splits.
    I don't know if you actually played or even observed GvG at all, but split builds have always been around. Hell, you need to be able to split to hold the Hall of Heroes for any length of time.

Hoping there are not the zero chance match ups in GW2 like there are in GW1.
    Part of the strategy in Guild Wars is deciding what builds to bring. That is the point of having only 8 slots on your skill bar. If you bring the wrong build and get stomped, it's your fault. I'm not going to buy 3 packs of Magic cards, slap them together with some basic lands, go to a tournament and complain about my zero-chance matches against people playing real decks.

Graveworm GW1 is too easy was my point and HA tactics is like checkers vs WoWs AB 15 vs 15 chess game.

Also regarding my comment on the zero chances thats due to 7 slot limits, its causes a low skill gap game. Seems GW2 is going the right path with weapon swaps giving more options in addition to the last 5 slots being player choice, raises the skill gap a great thing for skilled pvper not so great for bad players.
    Abraham Lincoln - 1864

Official thief page:
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...essions/thief/

Seems like the thief in their pic is sylvari.

Thieves are very limited in weapon choice. I think that would turn me off to them. However, having one unique skill based on what exactly you're dual wielding seems nice and they are rather powerful skills.

Also http://ca.kotaku.com/5780900/the-gui...ike-none-other

They might also have trouble seeing how the Thief fits into Guild Wars 2's system of making sure each class can fit into any role, from damage to support to tanking.

"We're making sure he fits in different ways," says Peters.

The Thief might not be able to tank a creature in the traditional sense, but he can peel a monster away from the group and keep it occupied, or use caltrops to slow a group on incoming enemies. The helpful group buffs obtained by stole items slides him into the support role, while a well-managed Thief should be able to handle doing damage quite readily. They can dictate the pace of battle in Guild Wars 2 like no other.

The Thief is a unique and complicated class, and it won't be the last.

"We've gone from the most basic professions and gone into the stranger ones; the ones that break our rules," says Eric Flannum. "We've got two more unannounced, and those are quite different in the way that they play."
    PAX video
    http://www.justin.tv/alienwarearena/b/281335903
    Last edited by Taolas; 03-11-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Cant wait to see what the other two classes will be... honestly I think they have plenty of starting classes right now Ele, War, Guardian, Ranger, Necro, Thief. Two more classes still left to go I'm guessing a Control bases Mes like class and no idea on the last one seems they have all the angles covered right now.... perhaps a Rit like class?
    Abraham Lincoln - 1864