+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rock Out New Guildwars 2 Videos: Thief Class (revealed!), Pistols, Guardian, Norn.

***Update***
    Official Thief page up: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...essions/thief/

---------------
    So apparently gametrailers did a no-no and leaked videos that were supposed to be under wraps until PAX. The Thief was later officially revealed with Anet's blessing.
    GW2 infos just got dumped on us. Will put Thief pic up when they release it.

Some short videos and explanations with Charr Thief:
    http://ie.pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153403p1.html

Thief Video: Dual Pistol and Dagger. Also: initiative, stealth, shadowstep, steal weapons, and getting smacked around lawls.

Thief vs "Pirates":

Norn Guardian & Personal Story (Great Hunt):
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gd...-wars-2/711235

Norn intro & character creation:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gd...-wars-2/711237

Thief special - Initiative: No cool down timers. They use initiative instead, which looks like a universal cool down system where you can spam attacks, but then have to wait for your initiative points to regenerate (10 points max, regen 1 per second). The initiative points are the stars above the skill bar on the left. Seems like an annoying hit and run class, but also the most unique play style we've seen. Strong attacks look like they take more initiative points. Regenerates fast in demo.

Things I noted: Out of combat hp/mana regen was quite fast.
    You can shoot bullets through a heal symbol (guardian) and they will heal any friendly near the target you're shooting.
    Guardian can block + move?
    Attributes were consolidated to: Power, Crit, Armor, Health. Seems like no intelligence or strength and instead both combine into Power, which seems smart. Inventory screen is near the end of the Norn Guardian vid.

A few negatives stood out to me. Parts of the Norn stuff looked a bit low quality :/ and the skin still has a very bland, annoying texture. Hopefully it's just demo quality. Pistol/Dagger animations didn't blow me away.

/edit Already starting on listing skills here:
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...-ii-t7320.html

Check it out, pretty neat. Two utility skills are:
    Scorpion Wire Throw out a scorpion wire, and pull your foe to you. [90s]
    Shadow Trap Set a trap, then use Stealth and teleport to it when tripped. [120s]

/edit2
    Norn snow leopard starter quest. Not necessarily their race transformation form, could be a form just for the quest. He's like level 2 and only has two skills open when he's using pistols.
    http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6302346/?tag=bounce

Guardian (sword/focus?) vs a cool Beast:
    http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6302347/

Combat Montage:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/05/te...ombat-footage/

/edit3
    Best Thief video I've seen:
    http://static.youku.com/v1.0.0140/v/...0bWw=&showAd=0
    Last edited by Taolas; 03-11-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Default Re: New Guildwars 2 Videos: Thief Class (revealed!), Pistols, Guardian, Norn.

I came. Thief looks amazing. Mastering the thief class will be so damn rewarding. Love high dps extremely low survivability classes.
    Last edited by Zoobi; 03-03-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Default Re: New Guildwars 2 Videos: Thief Class (revealed!), Pistols, Guardian, Norn.

Yeah I wonder if it's all dodging for them or what. They must have a type of defensive weapon, like condition heavy or some such. Love their special mechanic and steal weapon seems quite dynamic.

I fucking lawled, the info is already out there so it's not like they can go back on it. Wonder what they'll do for PAX now if anything.

@ Thread, awesome the thief looks fun.

@ Zoobi, What are you talking about ^^?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    @ Thread, awesome the thief looks fun.

@ Zoobi, What are you talking about ^^?
    Read the first line of his post.

"Thief special - Initiative: No cool down timers. They use initiative instead, which looks like a universal cool down system where you can spam attacks, but then have to wait for your initiative points to regenerate."

Quote Originally Posted by Esfires View Post
    "Thief special - Initiative: No cool down timers. They use initiative instead, which looks like a universal cool down system where you can spam attacks, but then have to wait for your initiative points to regenerate."

Without actually seeing this in action it sounds very much like your standard rogue energy bar. Not really mind blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Graveworm View Post
    Without actually seeing this in action it sounds very much like your standard rogue energy bar. Not really mind blowing.
    Yeah. I get the feeling all the nostalgics are going to assume it means no global cooldown, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ero Elohim View Post
    Yeah. I get the feeling all the nostalgics are going to assume it means no global cooldown, though.
    I fall into that category, so you're wrong. That being said, Guild Wars' system doesn't have a global cooldown and I don't see why ArenaNet would need to use one for Guild Wars 2. To clarify, weapon attacks in Guild Wars either have a cast time or use your weapons speed as the cast time, and many instant or short-cast abilities have a short "aftercast" before you can use another ability. The closest Guild Wars get to a global cooldown are the Flash Enchantments they just added to the game with the Dervish revamp, but even that cooldown is only shared with other Flash Enchantments.
    Last edited by Graveworm; 03-03-2011 at 03:00 PM.

...many instant or short-cast abilities have a short "aftercast" before you can use another ability.
    Not trying to be an unbelievable bastard here, but isn't that a global cooldown?

Not trying to be an unbelievable bastard here, but isn't that a global cooldown?
    No, for two reasons. 1) Not all aftercasts are the same length. 2) Not all instant or short-cast abilities have an aftercast. It's merely a tool used to control certain types of abilities that are too powerful without it, generally relating to spike damage.

Saw the video on Youtube, this is exactly what it is.

Which is the funny thing about every game that tries to pimp the class 'mechanic's.
    In the end most mechanics just boil down to a number that decreases when you do something and increases when you don't.

The only things that I learned was that thieves have pistols which is lame (IMHO), I prefer the pure fantasy stuff, mixing guns kinda sucks (WoW did it well but I don't remember seeing it anywhere else where I liked it).

No, for two reasons. 1) Not all aftercasts are the same length. 2) Not all instant or short-cast abilities have an aftercast. It's merely a tool used to control certain types of abilities that are too powerful without it, generally relating to spike damage.
    Gotcha. You could've just said it's a GCD.

Could someone forgive me for not playing WoW and explain their rogue's energy system and GCD?

Far as I saw for the Thief, you have Energy, Initiative, and Animation times. Some gun skills took awhile to use, as they fire for a certain amount of time.
    Last edited by Taolas; 03-03-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Gotcha. You could've just said it's a GCD.
    I would have if it actually was one, but it's not.

Videos back up, plus more.

I'm starting to chomp at the bit in anticipation for this game, and I'm ready to drag all my friends with me who play any computer game with the lure of a (good, western) mmorpg with a one time payment.

I would have if it actually was one, but it's not.
    Only if you want to cut hairs.

Few more vids:

Norn snow leopard starter quest. Not necessarily their race transformation form, could be a form just for the quest. He's like level 2 and only has two skills open when he's using pistols.
    http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6302346/?tag=bounce

Guardian (sword/focus?) vs a cool Beast:
    http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6302347/

Combat Montage. Some air and earth magic in there. 5:08-5:10 lol
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/05/te...ombat-footage/

Most of the Norn starter stuff is underwhelming cause they only have like 2 skills open on their bar.
    Last edited by Taolas; 03-05-2011 at 09:41 AM.

I LOVE that there is no dedicated healing class. I think this game will undoubtedly be the shit.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    I LOVE that there is no dedicated healing class. I think this game will undoubtedly be the shit.
    YES!! /agree times a million bazillion

Quote Originally Posted by SI51 View Post
    YES!! /agree times a million bazillion
    I don't know about a million bazillion... I hope I can still do support and cast heal spells when I want to. Especially in PvE. Leveling up against mobs you can 1v1 and a boss you gang up on I can see no healer class, but max level against enemies you can't necessarily 1v1? How are you going to do all that dodging and rolling and positioning when you're in some random hallway of a dungeon trying not to get extra aggro, or a walkway around a structure?

I'm not AGAINST no healing class. I like it for PvP where every fight is an even fight, not a game of tag-the-healer. But there are gaps left when simply amputating pure healers, that positional skills, area skills, and shield stances don't cover in PvE against things much tougher then you, on unfriendly terrain.

I have a sinking feeling the guardian is going to have the healer role using damage absorbing shield effects to allow self heals to catch up, instead of raw green numbers, and lots of people are going to be disillusioned real quick about the idea of there being no healer unless shield bypass/dispell skills are easy to come by for players but not used by PvE mobs.

I'm sure a single player won't have the ability to keep everyone alive, but rather the team will have to manage survival as a unit.

What Taolas said. The redistribution of an entire role, will in all likelihood mean that responsibility will fall on multiple group members thereby increasing complexity in gameplay. That's my hope, more diversity and complicated roles.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire