+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Diablo 3

Default Re: Diablo 3

Quote Originally Posted by NAH Grahm Cracker View Post
    I actually love DAoC's system as well. It's so simple yet mechanics are important and it's significant to figure out exactly how you can drop points from one tree to get another skill or a new level of a skill in another.
    I like how the 2.0 was common, too. It left you with very general build expectations so the underlying math didn't mess you up. You could always check out 44/44/44, 50/50/28, 50/44/39, etc. and then just tweak.

I don't get the joke, what word did you cut out on?
    Modders. Diablo 3 won't be moddable.

Quote Originally Posted by Graveworm View Post
    Modders. Diablo 3 won't be moddable.
    Oh, I never played modded Diablo 2...
    Not a big deal for me.
    Though, it would have been fun for someone to make a mod of Diablo 3 to be exactly like Diablo 2.

Though, it would have been fun for someone to make a mod of Diablo 3 to be exactly like Diablo 2.
    You could just play Path of Exile, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Esfires View Post
    You could just play Path of Exile, also.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Esfires View Post
    You could just play Path of Exile, instead.
    That certainly looks like an alternative, but I'm not so sure how it will measure up against diablo 3.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun
    Fixed.
    I can't be arsed to play more than one game at a time.

Ensley Guest

weiners

Quote Originally Posted by Ensley View Post
    weiners
    Get out
    S I G N A P H O N E

D3 followers are up on the main page.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/follower

Scoundrel and Templar have persistent group buff options but the enchantress doesn't. :/

Followers only usable in the first difficulty of single player so not really that big of a deal.

Yeah so I was playing Diablo 2 some lately to get back into the whole Diablo thing before 3 comes out and maybe I'll pass if KotOR is good. The direction Blizzard took D2 just sucked. The simpler runewords are either completely useless or if it's fairly useful even just at lower levels then it's still rather difficult to get or costly considering the actual benefits. Even nightmare difficulty was annoying on my barb because everything is either fucking slowing you, freezing you or burning all your mana in one lousy shot which is just annoying, not difficult. 90% of the uniques are trash that aren't useful by the time you reach the level requirement. Diablo 2 was fun back when you could magic find just for random mid tier uniques to put on your alts and make weird characters like throwing barbarians and shit.

I think my biggest gripe or annoyance with trying to play diablo 2 again is that with even an 88% chance to hit something my barb is bound to miss 5 times in a row at any random interval which is just silly. I think I'm going to have to wait D3 out and see what the reviews are before I buy it.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

You know, more than likely, if you do pick up SWKTOR it will keep you entertained for at least 3 months. Minimum. I hope playing the beta hasn't ruined my enjoyment of some of the stories.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

So apparently they didn't like unique loot + individual gold/magic find because people were too tempted to leech kills and pick up their drops. Now MF/Gold Find are averaged over the party. Bring 100% to a four person game, and you only get 25% each.

Personally, I'm okay with this. If you read the items everything in the game is ITEM +X random properties so there's going to be some MF flying around, and Diablo has always caused more and better loot to drop when you have more people, so I would hope grouping is still a net gain in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    So apparently they didn't like unique loot + individual gold/magic find because people were too tempted to leech kills and pick up their drops. Now MF/Gold Find are averaged over the party. Bring 100% to a four person game, and you only get 25% each.

Personally, I'm okay with this. If you read the items everything in the game is ITEM +X random properties so there's going to be some MF flying around, and Diablo has always caused more and better loot to drop when you have more people, so I would hope grouping is still a net gain in most cases.
    How does that really change anything? Were people going to get their own drop or random loot assignment or something? How does this keep someone from following you around and snatching up loot drops with auto looter type shit?
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    How does that really change anything? Were people going to get their own drop or random loot assignment or something? How does this keep someone from following you around and snatching up loot drops with auto looter type shit?
    Loot is individual in D3... everyone sees only their own drops.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Loot is individual in D3... everyone sees only their own drops.
    Ahhhh that's cool. Beats having people ninja everything the way they do in D2.

Honestly, I played all five classes through the beta.

The game is hellishly fun. So much so that even after killing the Skeleton King, I did it again and again a few times. The new skill system is leaps ahead of what Diablo 2 had, minus a few small details that I expect to get ironed out. I'm not too impressed by how the Demon Hunter and Witch Doctor play, but the Barbarian, Monk, and Wizard are enormous amounts of fun. I actually levelled my Monk up three or four times without realizing I'd gone up a level.

Key to this is the addition of Massacre, Mighty Blow, and Destruction bonuses. Chain killing enemies, killing a whole group in a single shot, or blowing up parts of the environment in a huge chain all give you experience bonuses. It's arcadey, and accompanied by a little bloody popup at the bottom of your screen, but it subconsciously changes the game from just killing things while waiting for loot or your XP bar to fill up. Instead, I found myself planning the ideal route dashing from mob pack to mob pack in an insane frenzy to rack up the kills. The "all loot is your loot" decision reinforces this, since you're never worried about what's dropping. You can always run back a screen or two and pick it up.

Even better, crafting in the game requires you to break down magic and rare loot into components, meaning no loot is ever really wasted. Got a bunch of magic belts? Fuck them. Turn them into dust and use the dust to craft two or three random property magic swords in an attempt to get something good. It's gambling from Diablo 2, but with a bit more control since you get to choose what item type pops out. Also ensures a bit of a baseline in case you somehow can't find a decent weapon or piece of armor for 5-6 levels.

Seriously, while some people might bemoan the removal of RPG aspects (no more skill tree, no more placing individual attribute points), the more freeform nature of the skill system had me constantly experimenting with different combinations of skills and the game was just such a blast to play that I found myself not caring so much about progression.
    Last edited by Ero Elohim; 03-03-2012 at 12:13 PM.

I've played them all as well. Love the game, Blizzard is gearing up for a release date announcement as well.