+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diablo 3

Default Diablo 3

Have you guys been keeping up with this game?

You can put runes in your skills to change their color and attributes.
    http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world...runestones.xml

You can pick a skill for your merc every five levels up to 25.
    http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world.../followers.xml

Auction house using REAL $
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...uction-summary

I'm also seeing some tidbits about a beta soon.
    How did this game fall under the radar?
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Default Re: Diablo 3

It's been in development for so long that a lot of people forgot about it. Up to now only the serious Diablo fans were still paying attention to it.
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

I just haven't posted any information about it because of this boards hatred for Blizzard(which some of it I totally agree on). Totally hating the idea of the real money auction house, but that's Bobby Kotick at work for you. As long as the game itself is fun and the gameplay is great it won't keep me from buying it though.

I could live with the AH, but the always on DRM bullshit those cuntbags decided to implement firmly switched me from a day 1 buyer to a "i'm gonna pirate this shit and go throw something at their austin, tx building after they release it".

Runestones sold me on it instantly.
    Screw the details if the game is fun and that customizable.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Auction house involving real money pretty much just sunk the game for me. Like anybody is going to sell anything in any other fashion. Diablo 3 pretty much proceeds as expected. This is a pirate only(assuming it's even possible to do so).

Will there be an in game store as well? VKhaun can spend a second $50 getting all the customization he desires?

This is seriously taking way too long to develop.

Get the fucking game done. I did this bullshit for Skyrim, but at least they set a release date. At this rate, we'll be lucky if we see it in 2012.

789+321 963+147 869+241 145+965 159+951 754+356 167+943 831+279
    456+654 478+632 623+487 174+936 753+357 152+958 729+381 268+842
    123+987 896+214 421+689 396+714 758+352 746+364 183+927 426+684
    741+369 632+476 985+125 312+798 956+154 128+982 796+394 127+983
    258+852 487+623 325+785 132+978 352+758 349+761 138+792 143+967

Diablo 3 is your A Dance With Dragons. I will come out. Some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Valec View Post
    Auction house involving real money pretty much just sunk the game for me. Like anybody is going to sell anything in any other fashion. Diablo 3 pretty much proceeds as expected. This is a pirate only(assuming it's even possible to do so).
    There's an actual listing fee for selling items with real money. Meaning you'll have to pay $0.50 or whatever just to put an item up for cash. I think that alone will deter enough people (especially the kids without credit cards) from putting up stuff for dollars.

Honestly, I was really irked by the RMT auction house, until I realized this shit already goes on in Diablo II. You can go to IGE or whatever and buy any item in the game if you have the dough. I believe they'll also pay you for certain rare shit. The only downside I see is that rare uniques and such will have an actual dollar value attached now. How pissed will you be when that Windforce drops that you know you can get $20 for and everyone in the game will scramble to nab it? It ruins the cooperative spirit of the game, which means I'll likely only co-op with friends instead of random strangers.

The always online thing doesn't bother me. It's the least intrusive form of DRM, in my mind, and I'm always connected to the internet anyway.

The always online thing doesn't bother me on a personal level, but there are still a huge chunk of the population in this country that doesn't have access to reliable high speed broadband internet. That's the worst part about it to me. I hope they do what they did with Starcraft 2 for those people where you just have to log in once a month and then you can play offline.

The Diablo store is a non-issue for me, I only play the Diablo series singleplayer or lan play with a friend.
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobi View Post
    The always online thing doesn't bother me on a personal level, but there are still a huge chunk of the population in this country that doesn't have access to reliable high speed broadband internet. That's the worst part about it to me. I hope they do what they did with Starcraft 2 for those people where you just have to log in once a month and then you can play offline.
    How big of a chunk really? I've heard that said before but I don't know(honestly) how true that is. I literally don't know a single person without broadband, but obviously my sample pool is in my own area for the most part.

I have heard that there are people still on dial up in the heartland.

Who here lives in the sticks, far away from major cities, and what kind of connection do you have?
    -Make America Nazi Free!

Quote Originally Posted by Valec View Post
    How big of a chunk really? I've heard that said before but I don't know(honestly) how true that is. I literally don't know a single person without broadband, but obviously my sample pool is in my own area for the most part.
    Pretty much every state in the northwest aside from the ones on the coast has really terrible unreliable internet. My friend who lives just outside of Huntsville, Alabama(which is a major city) only has access to shitty low-end broadband internet that cuts out constantly(she only has access to this because the ISP has the area contracted for the next 10 years). I'm sure you can find situations like this all over the country. I have a couple buddies that live in the area between the Idaho and Utah border(Pocata I believe was the name of the city they live near) who are in the same situation described above. Hell, if you live in a densely populated city, your internet will be very unreliable, especially at primetime, simply because there's so many people clogging up the lines. When I lived in Ohio(I'm in Florida now) on off-peak hours my connection was 25-30 mb/s down 1 mb/s up, but when primetime would come around it would drop to 1-2 mb/s and my ping would skyrocket. Access to good internet in this country is still a luxury even if you can pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobi View Post
    Pretty much every state in the northwest aside from the ones on the coast has really terrible unreliable internet. My friend who lives just outside of Huntsville, Alabama(which is a major city) only has access to shitty low-end broadband internet that cuts out constantly(she only has access to this because the ISP has the area contracted for the next 10 years). I'm sure you can find situations like this all over the country. I have a couple buddies that live in the area between the Idaho and Utah border(Pocata I believe was the name of the city they live near) who are in the same situation described above. Hell, if you live in a densely populated city, your internet will be very unreliable, especially at primetime, simply because there's so many people clogging up the lines. When I lived in Ohio(I'm in Florida now) on off-peak hours my connection was 25-30 mb/s down 1 mb/s up, but when primetime would come around it would drop to 1-2 mb/s and my ping would skyrocket. Access to good internet in this country is still a luxury even if you can pay for it.
    Where'd you live in Ohio? When I lived in Cleveland, the internet was pretty much fine. That's a suburban area, though. I assume you were in Southern Ohio?

Oddly enough, I'm in Florida now, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ero Elohim View Post
    Where'd you live in Ohio? When I lived in Cleveland, the internet was pretty much fine. That's a suburban area, though. I assume you were in Southern Ohio?

Oddly enough, I'm in Florida now, too.
    I lived about 20 minutes outside of Sandusky. Not a major city, but a decent-sized city nonetheless.

Real $ Auction house would be fine, if Blizzard doesn't take a very substantial cut, and if items were not bind on equip/pickup. However; I'm guessing Blizzard will take anywhere from 10-30% cut on all sales (also; I heard they plan on charging you just for cashing out).
    There is of course a huge conflict of interest - they stand to gain tons of money by adding rarer and rarer items.
    However; I never bought anything for diablo 2 (and didn't care if anyone else did), so if they don't fuck it up, I will be able to play completely fine without spending any RL money.
    At the end of the day, I might even play it enough to cash out for a few dollars.
    Overall; I think it's a terrible idea and it will play out even worse than many of us can imagine.

The biggest hit to the game for me, though, was the not playable offline - DRM is the worst thing any game has ever experienced.

Overall, I just don't care any more, game companies are destroying games and disrespecting customers left and right, and I'm helpless to their decisions.
    As many bad decisions that Blizzard might make and as much as they decide to piss on my head, I know that at the end of the day they will probably make the best multi-player hack and slash RPG we've all ever seen.

Given that third-party RMT has been a staple of Diablo II for quite some time, it make sense that Blizzard would allow RMT between players within the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by NAH Grahm Cracker View Post
    The biggest hit to the game for me, though, was the not playable offline - DRM is the worst thing any game has ever experienced.
    Yeah... I give it 2 weeks after release before someone has a offline hack of it running.

If they can hack private servers for CoD:MW2 within 24 hours of release, they'll hack the hell out of this game.

789+321 963+147 869+241 145+965 159+951 754+356 167+943 831+279
    456+654 478+632 623+487 174+936 753+357 152+958 729+381 268+842
    123+987 896+214 421+689 396+714 758+352 746+364 183+927 426+684
    741+369 632+476 985+125 312+798 956+154 128+982 796+394 127+983
    258+852 487+623 325+785 132+978 352+758 349+761 138+792 143+967

I hate games that can be played single player but can't be played offline. Sure, most of the time it doesn't matter, but sometimes being able to play offline comes in handy. Plus, I don't like the idea that they could shut off my access to the game at any point, not that they would.

That said, Diablo 3 looks pretty cool so far, whether or not I buy it depends on if my friends buy it probably.

Anyone feel like TQ after this thread?
    Downloading TQ:Immortal Throne now.

Just downloaded and reinstalled d2 actually. Think I'll run a MA sin without any kind of trading through the game. Here's hoping I get extremely lucky with item drops. Wonder what they did to the assassin in 1.13.

I always liked the concept of the MA Assassin, but she always seemed incredibly weak after Normal. Great boss-crushing power, but squishy and lacking in area damage on the later difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Ero Elohim View Post
    I always liked the concept of the MA Assassin, but she always seemed incredibly weak after Normal. Great boss-crushing power, but squishy and lacking in area damage on the later difficulties.
    And even as the originally useless skeletons got some buffs, Blizz seemed fine with the MA assassin. Makes me worry as the only class I want to play in D3 is the staff monk, which also leans on combos. We'll see...