+ Reply to Thread

Default LotRO security breach, change your password

The LotRO forums have been down for about a week, and their website says:

Recently, we were made aware of an issue with the security of our LOTRO community web applications. Protecting player accounts is a top priority and we take any potential issues seriously. As a result, we closed all of our forums as we investigate the situation. We are continuing to investigate and the forums will not reopen until this work is complete.

As an additional precaution we recommend that all players change their passwords by visiting http://myaccount.turbine.com. Please remember to use unique, hard-to guess passwords that are not associated with other online services or sites, and always look for and report unusual activity in your account to Turbine customer support.

Link
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Default Re: LotRO security breach, change your password

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    The LotRO forums have been down for about a week, and their website says:

Recently, we were made aware of an issue with the security of our LOTRO community web applications. Protecting player accounts is a top priority and we take any potential issues seriously. As a result, we closed all of our forums as we investigate the situation. We are continuing to investigate and the forums will not reopen until this work is complete.

As an additional precaution we recommend that all players change their passwords by visiting http://myaccount.turbine.com. Please remember to use unique, hard-to guess passwords that are not associated with other online services or sites, and always look for and report unusual activity in your account to Turbine customer support.

Link
    I haven't been using my primary game account for my forum account on their website for this exact reason. Whoever is in charge of the forums/website at Turbine hasn't done a very good job. Was ironic is that not long after the move to F2P people were saying they had their accounts hijacked and that they knew for a fact that they hadn't fallen for any scams or contracted a key logger. Of course Turbines official stance was that anyone who had their account hacked was a victim of their own activity, not Turbines. Now I DEFINITELY have to wonder.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon