+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blizzcon News: the Next WoW Expansion

The Mists of Pandaria Expansion will offer a new race, a monk class, yet another bloody revamp of the talent system, new PvE activities, and more.

Read about it here.

As an added bonus, anyone with an annual WoW pass will receive Diablo 3 for free.
    Last edited by Alex Mars; 10-21-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Ensley Guest

Default Re: Blizzcon News: the Next WoW Expansion

This is the worst expansion ever in the history of MMOs. Nobody is going to buy this and it will insta-die after it goes live.

The game has literally become a parody of itself.

Good to see they are continuing the trend of "Each new expansion completely negates everything you've done in the past one!"

Quote Originally Posted by Norska View Post
    Good to see they are continuing the trend of "Each new expansion completely negates everything you've done in the past one!"
    Well in all fairness, that's not completely true. You would still have to level up from 1 to 90 if you just started playing the game now...
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

Holy shit, I just read through all the major changes coming in for this game-- and it RIPS all the pro's from SWTOR! Hahahahah! Way to go blizz! LOL they unveil a bunch of shit as though they thought it all up.

Classic!
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

You act as though that's new. WoW is just a blend of all the best(and some of the worst) features from every standard play mmo to date.

The only new thing they really brought to the genre is leveling based entirely on questing.
    Last edited by Zoobi; 10-22-2011 at 01:34 AM.

God that expansion looks fucking awful. Just another example of weeaboos ruining video games. It's a shame too, because some of the new features actually seem pretty cool, even if they are all taken from other games.

I really really really really really really really hope either Guild wars 2 or Swtor has at least a semi-balanced and fun pvp arena feature, or else I might just quit playing mmos altogether. Might have to take up starcraft or bounce between fpses for my pvp fix...
    Last edited by Stalis; 10-22-2011 at 02:40 AM.

I don't understand the hate I'm seeing for this. This is no less retarded than WoW has ever been.

Undead with mohawks that played air-guitar, walking talking cows, trolls that trained at the ministry of silly walks with more mohawks and...well...look like this.

But anthro-Pandas? Oh no, that's ridiculous.

The difference is that there wasn't entire expansions built around air guitar playing undeads with mohawks or trolls. It is fine to have a little bit of goofiness and sillyness scattered around in a game, but when an entire expansion, and by extention the entire game for the duration of the expansion becomes silly it becomes hard to take anything about the game seriously.

Every previous expansion had some serious shit going on. Demonic portals being opened into the world, the lich king trying to take over the world with his undead army, deathwing trying to destroy the world.

This expansion is just void of any serious story hook. It's just LOL ASIA STUFF AND PANDAS SO KAWAII!!!! <(^_^)> <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <(^_^)>
    Last edited by Stalis; 10-22-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Sorry, "I don't know the storyline so therefore it's all asia and pandas" seems like flawed logic to me. From what I know, they've barely released the patch that let you face Deathwing (the trailer talks about him in the present tense), so I doubt they wanted to have yet another "big bad" enter stage left...

Also, your weeaboo impression is Japanese, Pandaren and their architecture is clearly based on China. L2Culture.

Edit: Though actually, I think I'd rather there wasn't a main enemy in this expansion. WoW thusfar has been a consumption of lore produced in the previous Warcraft games. It's about time we got back to the war between Alliance and Horde, rather than constantly having a bigger threat to face than each other.

Edit II: Looking it up, it's been a mere 5 years from the beginning of WoW to Deathwing in Azeroth's own timeline. Between Illidan, Arthas and Deathwing, that's a lot of beings to have posed a serious threat to Azeroth in half a decade. I don't like to bring realism into games, but we know Orgrimmar was feeling the strain of the constant war efforts in cataclysm and I doubt Stormwind is holding up much better. Not only is it unlikely that Azeroth would face 4 consecutive baddies in under a decade, but considering each one has been tougher than the last, it shouldn't even survive if another one came now.
    Last edited by Ziel; 10-22-2011 at 04:44 AM.

I think blizzard is trying to kill WoW so that it doesn't compete with it's self when there new MMO comes out

The last expansion will be the invasion of the Dranei homeworld or some other planet, as azeroth is being ripped apart by war and magic. (imo)

I took a peak over at their forums to see what was being said about this new expac, and the mood is unbelievably negative. I'm really surprised at how bad blizzard's fan base is taking this game. In no particular order the criticism are: Too Kiddy, Kung Fu Panda rip off and giant panda men look stupid, too many talent system overhauls, new "Pokemon" system is even more kid like, no lore surrounding the expac, and there is no longer a focus on challenge (people are complaining about the hold your hands geographic design?).

Could this be the final nail in the coffin for WoW?

Being concerned about the lore in LotRO is one thing, but does anyone really take the lore of Warcraft seriously?
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Overseeing a mass of self-replicating organic matter.

Sadly, yes they do.

Sorry, "I don't know the storyline so therefore it's all asia and pandas" seems like flawed logic to me.
    It doesn't really matter what the storyline plays into at this point the setting and characters are too aloof to be taken seriously imo. Apart from that though, we haven't been shown anything besides lolpandas, so thats what I am going on.

Also, your weeaboo impression is Japanese, Pandaren and their architecture is clearly based on China. L2Culture.
    I was talking about who the expansion appeals to not what the setting is. -_- It's not like asian obsessed white boys only like japan shit.

Edit: Though actually, I think I'd rather there wasn't a main enemy in this expansion.
    That's fine you don't have to have a main enemy, but you have to have something in the a game. It can't just be hey guys the world is no longer in danger, its vacation time in china now! Pretty much the only thing that's going on in this expansion is you fight previously unknown enemies like praying mantis men and lizard men.

Maybe if the talked more about this supposed conflict between the alliance and horde heating up it would be more interesting but I doubt it. Seeing as how if that's the case you know before hand neither side is going to lose. So what's the point?

Being concerned about the lore in LotRO is one thing, but does anyone really take the lore of Warcraft seriously?
    People do. I don't take it seriously, however, if I am going to play wow, I at least want it to take itself seriously. They should have left pandas as a side funny thing for the occassional npc or companion pet, maybe as a playable race. But its just ridiculous as the focus of an entire expansion imo.
    Last edited by Stalis; 10-22-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    I took a peak over at their forums to see what was being said about this new expac, and the mood is unbelievably negative.
    I'm guessing you don't visit the Blizzard forums very often. The mood is always unbelievably negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziel View Post
    I'm guessing you don't visit the Blizzard forums very often. The mood is always unbelievably negative.
    I used to. I've never seen this level of negativity for an expansion. Cataclysm had a ton of excitement around it. Wrath of the Lich king too. By far and large, most people seem to be really upset with this expansion. I'm not sure if it's because Cata has left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, because SWTOR and RIFT have made the fan base crave something new, or both-- but it seems to me that there is very little love for this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziel View Post

Edit II: Looking it up, it's been a mere 5 years from the beginning of WoW to Deathwing in Azeroth's own timeline. Between Illidan, Arthas and Deathwing, that's a lot of beings to have posed a serious threat to Azeroth in half a decade. I don't like to bring realism into games, but we know Orgrimmar was feeling the strain of the constant war efforts in cataclysm and I doubt Stormwind is holding up much better. Not only is it unlikely that Azeroth would face 4 consecutive baddies in under a decade, but considering each one has been tougher than the last, it shouldn't even survive if another one came now.
    I just watched a video from the BlizzCon panel that said exactly what you said. There is no "big" enemy for this expansion, it seems that the peaceful isle of pandaria gets caught up in the war between the Alliance and the Horde. The entire focus of this expansion will be Horde Vs Alliance.

Maybe it will bring some help to the stale PvP.

LOLYARITE, what am I thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    Maybe it will bring some help to the stale PvP.

LOLYARITE, what am I thinking.
    Only thing that could supplant that stale PVP is getting rid of the stale gameplay, but I don't see that happening... Though, I did read something about taking out autoattack (like in SWTOR) but not sure if that was for all the classes or just the monk one. Don't care enough to research it anymore at this point though.

If there was ever an article that warranted the icon this is it. Seriously Activision?
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Kind of sad that world of panda land in all likelihood will continue to be the best mmo on the market overall.....(definitely not in the story department, swtor seems to be taking that one imo)

Other developers really need to step up their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalis View Post
    Kind of sad that world of panda land in all likelihood will continue to be the best mmo on the market overall.....(definitely not in the story department, swtor seems to be taking that one imo)

Other developers really need to step up their game.
    I don't know. I think this really opens the market for TOR, people who love the WoW core gameplay but hate where Activision is taking the world/lore.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."