View Poll Results: How long do you anticipate playing Skyrim?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less Than 10 Hours

0 0%
  • More Than 10 Hours

1 3.85%
  • More Than 20 Hours

5 19.23%
  • More Than 30 Hours

0 0%
  • More Than 40 Hours

4 15.38%
  • More Than 100 Hours

5 19.23%
  • Uncountable, off and on until ES6

9 34.62%
  • Not my kind of game, skipping

2 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim!

Default Re: Skyrim!

I decided after much reflection that I'll do Imperial first.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

I always liked the Khajiit because being able to see in dungeons easily is awesome.

I'm dying for some leaked vampirism info...but everyone is more interested in lycanthropy since it's implementation in the series skipped a chapter.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

wow, liking the races looks, especially orcs compared to oblivion

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skills

Overdraw 5
    Quick Shot

Lockpicking Rank 5
    Golden Touch
    Treasure Hunter
    Unbreakable

Alchemist Rank 5
    Experimenter Rank 3
    Benefactor
    Poisoner
    Concentrated Poison
    Green Thumb
    Snakeblood
    Purity

Shield Wall 5
    Deflect Arrows
    Riposte
    Elemental Protection
    Shield Charge

Armsman 5
    Hack and Slash 3
    Fighting Stance
    Savage strike 2
    Critical Charge
    Paralyzing Strike

Here is a better link for all the perks in Skyrim:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Perks

Going to end up going all thief. Those perks are awesome. The only tree which will be mostly ignored is pickpocket.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Warezwolves in Skyrim, gameplay at 1:20something.

/edit: removed broken link
    Last edited by Marou; 11-06-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: fix

Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    Here is a better link for all the perks in Skyrim:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Perks
    That site is good with perks, but the links muck other Skyrim infos up with Obliv. :/

Yeah, the UESP wiki is much better in general, the wikia is a cluster but leaked content is filling it up.

The thing that will be funny is when the game doesn't live up to the hype.

if it doesn't live up to the hype they can always port the good parts into an oblivion mod

or just port oblivion to the skyrim engine

and morrowind too

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobi View Post
    It won't live up to the hype, but it'll still most likely be a pretty fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobi View Post
    Depends on what you expect. I expect Oblivion had sex with Morrowind, and the kid looks better than either of them. I won't be disappointed. If you never liked ES games and are more of a Bioware type of person, and you're picking this one up because you think it'll be different; I suppose you could end up disappointed.

I expect it will be more like Oblivion mixed without fallout 3. In any case, if it is at least as good as oblivion I won't be disapointed. If it has more Morrowind influence, then all the better. The fallout 3 elements looks positive as well.

Yeah, it's hard to be disappointed when your litmus test for success is, "Do as good as you've done in the past with better graphics". It's Morrowind influenced in that like Morrowind everything in the world, every rock, every tree, is hand placed. No more procedural generated terrain or dungeons. Also, according to the pirates, some of the dungeons take 2+ hours to make it through, and are loaded with traps, puzzles, and other things. This I think is a new height for dungeons in the series, and I'm pretty excited about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalis View Post
    I expect it will be more like Oblivion mixed without fallout 3. In any case, if it is at least as good as oblivion I won't be disapointed. If it has more Morrowind influence, then all the better. The fallout 3 elements looks positive as well.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as Fallout 3 elements, but I haven't watched every video out there or anything. I personally find the suggestion odd, since the only thing about Fallout 3 that was Fallout-like was the world, lore, and story. The actual gameplay was a direct clone of Oblivion, but with guns and different baddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Valec View Post
    I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as Fallout 3 elements, but I haven't watched every video out there or anything. I personally find the suggestion odd, since the only thing about Fallout 3 that was Fallout-like was the world, lore, and story. The actual gameplay was a direct clone of Oblivion, but with guns and different baddies.
    Vats, perks, and companions he was referring to, and yeah, perks are in Skyrim and Vats-like finishing moves are as well. In addition, the speechcraft stuff looks to have been heavily inspired by FO3 rather than Oblivion/Morrowind, and companions also.

Also, rumor is the lockpick system is more like fallout 3. Just a bunch of little things like that. I also heard there will be dismemberment, or at least decapitations.
    Last edited by Stalis; 11-06-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalis View Post
    Also, rumor is the lockpick system is more like fallout 3. Just a bunch of little things like that. I also heard there will be dismemberment, or at least decapitations.
    I can confirm the decapitations. If you stop by chatbox I can give ya some spoiler links if you want. Reluctant to post anything in this thread because Zenimax is playing whackamole with leaked content.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Since I already know I am going to get the game, I want to save some surprises.

I'm not even *in* to sandbox kinds of games, but I have enough faith to know this game will live up to its hype. Their track record is too impeccable. Just like all the other games, I'll give it one play though and never touch it again- and I know I'll love the shit out of it.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

First review for Skyrim is out (no major spoilers), score 95%:

Pg1: http://www.gamepur.com/files/imagepi...eview-scan.jpg

Pg2: http://www.gamepur.com/files/imagepi...iew-scan-1.jpg

Pg3: http://www.gamepur.com/files/imagepi...iew-scan-2.jpg

Pg4: http://www.gamepur.com/files/imagepi...iew-scan-3.jpg

Also, this reviewer is retarded. Developer: id software, pfft.

I will definitely play this game, and, if I like it, I will put in at least 100 hours. I know that I logged at least 200 on Oblivion... maybe a lot more. Of course, a lot of the time I spent in Oblivion was hour after hour of jumping down mountain slopes, running laps around the city, and sneaking in that one sleepy dude's room. The stat/skill improvement system in Oblivion was NOT good for me, because when I see a way to max out everything I can't force myself to not pursue it. On a positive note, being able to jump up onto rooftops was cool.

In spite of creating many characters in Oblivion, I only ever finished the game once. The other times, I just played through all of the guild storylines and most of the side quests, then quit. I absolutely despised the main storyline. I hated the fact that once you triggered certain events, the gates started popping everywhere, and the 5352346 trips you had to make through extremely-similar Oblivion gates got mind-numbingly dull in short order.

So far, I have had a somewhat frustrating relationship with Bethesda games. I guess I can't complain too much because I always wind up spending a lot of time playing them, and there is always a lot of enjoyment to be found. My biggest problem is that there has always been something that I really didn't like as well. In some cases, the issue was big enough to be a deal breaker. In Morrowind it was cliff racers (GOD DAMN, I hated those things!), and in Oblivion, it was the main story line with all the Oblivion gates. Fallout 3 was hurt from the get-go because a part of me was always disappointed that it wasn't more like the first two Fallout games (genuinely loved both of them), but Beth still did a decent job of carrying the torch. Seriously, the biggest problem I had with Fallout 3 is that the part of Oblivion I had enjoyed the most, exploring, just wasn't much fun in F3. I know it was a post-apoc setting and all, but it sometimes felt like the entire world was done in only 3 colors, and I never really got the same feelings of awe that I felt when I played Oblivion.

I will confess one thing though - I've never used mods with any Bethesda game. Back when I played Morrowind, I didn't know what a mod was, and I got both Oblivion and Fallout 3 for the 360 (I like playing in a recliner in front of the big screen). I do plan to pick up the PC version of Skyrim, and this time I will try out some mods.

The thing is that my video gaming time is about to get monopolized in a big way, and I don't see myself being able to take the kind of break I will need for something like Skyrim until this Summer at the earliest. At least there should be plenty of nice mods already floating around by then.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Kiroj Burr-Oak wgah'nagl fhtagn.

From the Official forums, vampire and werewolf information:

------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the effects of being a vampire or a werewolf. Most of this will be reformatted stuff that I copied and pasted. Credit goes to sing_yaj of the GameFAQs boards.

Werewolf:
    Beast Form once a day
    100% Disease Resistance

Beast Form is a long-duration transformation that gives you knockback attacks and insane movement speed. Attacks are based on the one-handed skill and using them does increase the skill. You cannot use weapons or spells in this form, nor can you enter the menu. Your stamina drains slowly and recovers quickly, but your only way to heal is by eating enemies. Doing this recovers health and extends the duration of Beast Form. NPCs who watch you transform will attack you.

Vampire:
    1st Stage - Your eyes are red and NPCs will start to comment on your eyes and your skin. While sneaking you have have the ability to feed on sleeping NPCs to lower your vampiric stage to the first stage.

Abilities:
    Champion of the Night - Illusion spells cast by a vampire are 25% more powerful.
    Night Stalker's Footsteps - Vampires are 25% harder to detect while sneaking.
    Resist Disease - Your vampiric blood gives you 100% resistance to disease.
    Resist Poison - Your vampiric blood gives you 100% resistance to poison.
    Resist Frost - Your vampiric blood gives you 25% resistance to frost.
    Weakness to Fire - Your vampiric blood gives you -25% weakness to fire.
    Weakness to Sunlight - Health, magicka and stamina do not recover while in sunlight and are reduce by 15 points. (only when your outside during the day)

Powers:
    Vampire's Servant - Reanimate a weak dead body to fight for you for 60 seconds. (can only be use once a day)
    Vampire Sight - Improve night vision for 60 seconds. (can be use multiple time and be toggle on/off)

Spells:
    Vampiric Drain - Absorb 2 points of health per second from target. (its a novice destruction spell, cost 5 mana a sec)

2nd Stage (24 hours after first stage without feeding)

Changes from Stage 1:
    Resist Frost - Your vampiric blood gives you 50% resistance to frost.
    Weakness to Fire - Your vampiric blood give s you -50% weakness to fire.
    Weakness to Sunlight - Health, magicka and stamina do not recover while in sunlight and are reduce by 30points. (only when your outside during the day)
    Vampire's Servant - Reanimate a more powerful dead body to fight for you for 60 seconds. (can only be use once a day)
    Vampiric Drain - Absorb 3 points of health per second from target. (its a novice destruction spell, cost ? mana a sec) *forgot to check mana cost*

Powers:
    Vampire Seduction - Creatures and people up to level 10 wont fight for 30 seconds.

3rd Stage (24 hours after 2nd stage without feeding)

Changes from Stage 2:
    Resist Frost - Your vampiric blood gives you 75% resistance to frost.
    Weakness to Fire - Your vampiric blood give s you -75% weakness to fire.
    Weakness to Sunlight - Health, magicka and stamina do not recover while in sunlight and are reduce by 45 points. (only when your outside during the day)
    Vampire's Servant - Reanimate a powerful dead body to fight for you for 60 seconds. (can only be use once a day)
    Vampiric Drain - Absorb 4 points of health per second from target. (its a novice destruction spell, cost 12 mana a sec)

4th Stage (24 hours after 3rd stage without feeding) Most NPCs will attack you on sight. Unknown if a follower or faction you belong to will also attack you.

Changes from Stage 3:
    Resist Frost - Your vampiric blood gives you 100% resistance to frost.
    Weakness to Fire - Your vampiric blood give s you -100% weakness to fire.
    Weakness to Sunlight - Health, magicka and stamina do not recover while in sunlight and are reduce by 60 points. (only when your outside during the day)
    Vampire's Servant - Reanimate a very powerful dead body to fight for you for 60 seconds. (can only be use once a day)
    Vampiric Drain - Absorb 5 points of health per second from target. (its a novice destruction spell, cost 15 mana a sec)

Powers:
    Embrace of Shadows - Vampire is invisible and has improve vision for 180 seconds. (can only be use once a day)

Final Notes: Being a vampire is much more well-suited to a stealth-based character, whereas being a werewolf is more useful to melee fighters. Both have some very useful benefits for anyone though. Because there isn't really a penalty for just being a werewolf, it's the safer one to go with if you're undecided. Additionally, with vampires being immune to poison and both being immune to disease, argonians, bosmer, and redguards are looking even less useful.

Great now I have to make two characters...