+ Reply to Thread

Default Mechwarrior Mercenaries Online

http://mwomercs.com/

Hadn't heard of this? I hadn't either. Research and poking around in the site indicates they are going more towards the hardcore simulation expressed by the earlier Mechwarrior games, rather than the consolated games Microsoft Game Studios put out. You will be able to form corps/clans and fight over various Inner Sphere planets. The game will be PC exclusive and F2P following a world of tanks type model for it's item shop.

If there is enough interest here perhaps we can convince the devs to stop by for a Q&A or something.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Default Re: Mechwarrior Mercenaries Online

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    http://mwomercs.com/

Hadn't heard of this? I hadn't either. Research and poking around in the site indicates they are going more towards the hardcore simulation expressed by the earlier Mechwarrior games, rather than the consolated games Microsoft Game Studios put out. You will be able to form corps/clans and fight over various Inner Sphere planets. The game will be PC exclusive and F2P following a world of tanks type model for it's item shop.

If there is enough interest here perhaps we can convince the devs to stop by for a Q&A or something.
    Wow. I played the old Battletech online beta they had up for awhile, but they scrapped it for no reason I could ever figure out.

This is definitely something i'm interested in and will be keeping an eye on.

Saw this on another forum, and I will definitely try it but...

They keep talking about making it more about teams and tactics, which kills the whole genre. The idea was always to be in the biggest baddest toughest fastest machine you could get and stomp everything down. Now we're going to have to hear video game logic about how the 'tank' mech can't move fast or use good weapons, and the 'medic' repair mech can't equip as many weapons and only it can equip the repair items for some dumb ass reason, and the 'dps' mech can't use any armor. I'm speculating to a degree with the specifics, but the point is very clear; it's not going to be just a mech sim where you get bigger and better, it's going to have a team spin on it.

PC Gamer Article
    “We want to make gameplay be less about an arms race, where you start in a light Mech but you really want to get into an assault Mech, because it’s the best thing there is.”
    /vomit

The sad thing is, it might just be a GOOD team game with interesting mechanics and I might even play it for a long time, but the better it does the more it will water down the genre that has up to now been fine with letting you play as a massive machine of death.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 11-06-2011 at 03:05 PM.

I dunno, the earlier games (like Mercs) I never left a light mech. Hated the Heavy Assault stuff. It wasn't until the Microsoft Mech games that I really felt pushed into a Kodiac/Atlas. I used to play team games, and I'd run a heavily modified IS Raven with ECM, radar painters and inferno's. Heat shutdown and TAG/NARC assault mechs for Artillery fire while feeding intel back to the rest of my lance.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    I dunno, the earlier games (like Mercs) I never left a light mech. Hated the Heavy Assault stuff. It wasn't until the Microsoft Mech games that I really felt pushed into a Kodiac/Atlas. I used to play team games, and I'd run a heavily modified IS Raven with ECM, radar painters and inferno's. Heat shutdown and TAG/NARC assault mechs for Artillery fire while feeding intel back to the rest of my lance.
    Right but that's YOU playing for your team. You can get that in any game. COUNTER STRIKE had team tactics and communication with nothing to do but mouse1=fire the gun.

I'll bet you a rainbow name for a year there's some archetype crap up there reminiscent of pointy hats and large shields when the site gets updated with info on pilot/mech progression.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 11-07-2011 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Right but that's YOU playing for your team. You can get that in any game. COUNTER STRIKE had team tactics with nothing to do but mouse1=fire the gun.

I'll bet you a rainbow name for a year there's some archetype crap up there reminiscent of pointy hats and large shields when the site gets updated with info on pilot/mech progression.
    That'd be a really tough sell to a simulation crowd, so I doubt it. We'll see though I suppose.

I'm more interested in this

Quote Originally Posted by Ozoron View Post
    I'm more interested in this
    Just looks like a FPS, but with mechs. Could be fun but I don't think the gameplay is really anything like Mechwarrior.

Agree with Valec, that's just an armored core type of game.

The good Mechwarrior games (before MS got ahold of them) used most of the keyboard. Because you could do things like group weapons into a sets, then run right while your torso was twisted to face your ass and your POV was looking out the right side of your cockpit to target and fire weapons on the right side of your body in basically the opposite direction as you were travelling. Heat shutdowns, overrides, ammo explosions, and high velocity movements with jets were all critical things to consider.

The later MS/Fasa Mechwarriors kept alot of stuff, but they broke the simulation aspect of it in numerous ways, from how their lasers worked to the dangers of ammo explosions, heat, weight differences between locked and targetted SRM's, lock speeds, hit boxes, as well as the extent and precision of moving your Torso independently of your POV/Reticule and Legs. They wanted Xbox release and Xbox required that it be a pale shadow of what it was originally because there just wasn't enough controller to handle half of the controls needed. The last good simulation game with the Mechwarrior title was Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries.

I love the hell out of the early/mid 90's space combat and mech simulators. Sure, their learning curves were steep as hell, but they had levels of control and gameplay not seen since everything has been "streamlined" for console controls and the genre died. Every once in awhile something is announced to give me hope (Black Prophecy most recently), however they always end up being FPS' instead of what they should be. If this does the same, I'll be pretty disappointed; but not terribly surprised.

Mechwarrior will be awesome. If they stay true to what they are saying and make in more of sim; it will truly be a new MMO. As long as they do not try to fit it into the MMO mold of DPS, Healer, Tank like VK said. I hope they have Solaris 7 in the game.

Did any of you guys ever go to Virtual World? It was furnished like a Victorian explorers club and you could play mechwarrior in teams from a closed mecha cockpit with the ability to customize weapon firing groups to various controls, feedback meters for heat and other things, it was really cool.
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Oh, Virtual Geographic League or whatever it was called? I spent pretty sick amounts of money there on some weekends in the early/mid 90's. Yeah, that was the ultimate way to play Battletech/Mechwarrior. Playing team games against Tokyo and London over ISDN via Virtual World centers when I had a 14.4k modem at home, heh. I'd love to have one of those cockpits, but that's a lottery like wish, and not anything I could ever afford or would actually spend money on.

Oh hell, I feel old as fuck now. This was in the height of Genesis/SNES popularity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdJA5...ailpage#t=148s

But you know what? That cockpit and control scheme is still awesome. I remember you controlled torso with right/left joystick twists, turning with foot pedals, and targetting reticle with regular joystick movements. If you had to over-ride a heat shutdown or shunt ammo you actually entered the override code or tagged the weapon systems in question and entered an ammo purge command.

Dave & Busters in Atlanta had those as well back in the 90's. They had an hour long course for you to take just to learn how to play. It was expensive. I think it was like $10 for maybe a 20 min game. I spent my entire paycheck (after school part-time job) playing on the weekends more than once.

I had a cardboard box that I modified with a pocket knife and duct tape.