+ Reply to Thread

Default Lineage II Going F2P in a big way

Via RPGamer: NCSoft, the publisher of Lineage II, has announced the latest expansion for the MMORPG. In addition to new levels, zones, and content, the Goddess of Destruction expansion also converts Lineage II over to a free-to-play system.

NCSoft states that the game will be "truly free", and that there will be no separate tiers, no limitations on what can or can not be accessed, and no other incentives for players to pay for access. NCSoft instead plans to make money by selling cosmetic items, consumables, and convenience items via the in-game store. More info can be found on the Lineage II website.

------------------------

Personally the grind was just too horrid in the (real) version of this game to ever hold my interest for more than a few weeks here and there. It'll be interesting to see if it actually finds a market here with F2P; I kinda doubt it unless they soften the level and gear curve somewhat.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Default Re: Lineage II Going F2P in a big way

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    Via RPGamer: NCSoft, the publisher of Lineage II, has announced the latest expansion for the MMORPG. In addition to new levels, zones, and content, the Goddess of Destruction expansion also converts Lineage II over to a free-to-play system.

NCSoft states that the game will be "truly free", and that there will be no separate tiers, no limitations on what can or can not be accessed, and no other incentives for players to pay for access. NCSoft instead plans to make money by selling cosmetic items, consumables, and convenience items via the in-game store. More info can be found on the Lineage II website.

------------------------

Personally the grind was just too horrid in the (real) version of this game to ever hold my interest for more than a few weeks here and there. It'll be interesting to see if it actually finds a market here with F2P; I kinda doubt it unless they soften the level and gear curve somewhat.
    I play L2 in the beta. It was ok, and it's probably the closest thing to an Asian made MMORPG that I've come close to subscribing too. (other than Rift, or at least I think Rift is an asian MMO). However after the grind started it wasn't quite enough to keep me interested. I played some kind of tank thing with an orc for my race. Never did any PvsP, if I remember correctly I was on a server with some kind of murder or bounty hunter system. I know certain people could be attacked on sight without giving you some kind of negative rep.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

After the grind started? Lol there was a grind for level one. Took you like 300 mob kills just to go from level 1 to two.

Ensley Guest

The game would have been decent if it weren't for the hacks and bots.

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if it actually finds a market here with F2P; I kinda doubt it unless they soften the level and gear curve somewhat.
    I imagine the consumables and convenience items you can buy would be how they soften the level curve. Definitely an interesting experiment, making a game with such a high incentive to buy easy-mode "truly free to play".