+ Reply to Thread

Default The secret of running right?

This guy claim to have it rediscovered:

http://veja.abril.com.br/multimidia/...derada-e-sutil

Worth a try perhaps?

Anyone who works in the field (Silly?) can vouch for this?

Default Re: The secret of running right?

Is it in portuguese?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

He doesn't say the words, but if you watch his feet he's going ball->heel, and I've heard that part in a lot of places. (Course those other places let me wear shoes still.) It's difficult to teach yourself to walk ball->heel, and your muscles farther up your leg get confused for a while. I only do it when exercising and even then the treadmill is always on an incline so it's easier to do. As soon as I step off a treadmill I'm walking heel->ball again.

I'm not into running yet, slow progress which is my own fault, but when I start I will definitely try this and other ball->heel techniques.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 11-08-2011 at 01:19 PM.

"Is it in portuguese? "

Nope, its a video from the NYT Magazine with portuguese subtitles.....posted by a brazilian magazine site i usually check.

Ah ok, can't check it out at work, but wondered.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

I sort of skimmed through the video but from what I can tell he's pretty much on the right track.

Because shoes add thickness to the bottom of our foot we have started to walk/run heel to toe because you are much less likely to trip by snapping the toe of your shoe in walking in that fashion. The problem with walking and especially running in this kind of gait is that it prevents the various tiny muscles in our foot and ankle and especially our lower leg muscles (gastr/sol) from absorbing the shock of foot strike to the ground. Running in this gait also means we lock out our knees killing our upper legs (especially quads) ability to absorb and distribute the crushing force of being caught between foot strike to the ground and the momentum of our upper body crashing down onto our hips.

http://physicalliving.com/the-defini...oing-barefoot/

The article I linked above is a good read on this subject. But the most revealing is the video midway down of the girl running on a treadmill in shoes in one instance and her socks in the other. The video will demonstrate side by side the differences in her running gait and exactly what this gait means for the health of her joints/etc.

If at all possible my next pair of running "shoes" will be those ugly ass looking five fingers. I've done some short distance bare foot running for curiosity sake and the difference in the shock on your knees and hips is drastic.

On a slightly different note, exhaling on left foot strike can also help ward off side stitches which hurt like a biotch.
    Last edited by Sillywilly; 11-08-2011 at 03:31 PM.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Thanks Vkhaun & Silly.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    i sort of skimmed through the video but from what i can tell he's pretty much on the right track.
    run pun!

Yeah, we couldn't legally put out an ad that said no Portugese, but...

No Portugese.

People actually walk on their heels? i've walked/ran on the balls of my feet all my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozoron View Post
    People actually walk on their heels? i've walked/ran on the balls of my feet all my life.
    Well not all of our mothers taught us to be transvestites and put us in heels at an early age either. Some of us had to slowly work into that and just don't have the calves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumah View Post
    Well not all of our mothers taught us to be transvestites and put us in heels at an early age either. Some of us had to slowly work into that and just don't have the calves.
    Lol guess i was asking for that one but still i've always walked with my heel about 1/2 an inch above the ground unless i'm dead tired and dragging my feet

edit: well i guess i don't always do it. it depends a lot on the floor im walking on but i've never ran with my heel hitting the ground first. I also have giant callus on each foot probably from walking barefoot.
    Last edited by Ozoron; 11-09-2011 at 01:04 PM.