+ Reply to Thread

Default GD help. Graphic design, that is...

Zavon tol me to ask my question here... I'm new to forums, but I like it so far!

I'm interviewing for a graphic design position. I have some experience in this field, and they're mainly looking for a big personality they want to work with (which I have for miles), but I wanna nail this art test. This spec confuses me...

"Files should be built in 4-color (CMYK) breakdown with high resolutions scans in place at 100%, no less than 300 dpt, 150 line screen. JPG, GIF files, 72 dpi or low-resolutions images pulled from the internet cannot be accepted. No pantone/pms, rgb or indexed colors can be used on submitted files."

No jpgs or gifs? Do I change everything to a png? What's goin on here... and wtf is a line screen. Lol.

How am I to make sure I ONLY use CMYK? I know how to for pictures, but the rest?

Sincerely,
    Someone trying to get out of a crappy job and use her skillz ;)

Default Re: GD help. Graphic design, that is...

This article might help. http://www.ne14design.co.uk/articles...GB_to_CMYK.htm

One of our regulars does graphic design for a living. He probably has more to add than I do. I use Photoshop rarely and only as needed for interface components in programs I write. PNG is the only format aside from tiff IIRC that will save information in CMYK format if told to. Also, welcome to the cesspool.

/edit: Actually, PNG converts to RGB on save, so tiff/psd/xcf are safer bets to give them what they want.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Thanks so much! I guess I should add that I use InDesign CS5 Extended.

CI

4. Default Re: GD help. Graphic design, that is...

What's goin on here... and wtf is a line screen. Lol.

Found this on a Adobe forum after 15 sec google search, hope it helps;

Line screen is the intended output resolution of raster dots per inch.

As a press can only print black ink on white paper, photographs (actually, all tints of black) are converted into larger and smaller dots in a regular pattern. Dots with an ink area of around 50% of the pattern square display as 50% gray for the naked eye. Use a magnifiying glass on a newspaper to see this in practice. You might spot that the typical photograph is printed with its raster lines in an angle of 45 degrees.

So, the line screen is the number of "lines" across the picture. At 150 lines per inch, each single dot is 1/150" wide at max. Your picture has 300 distinct gray values per inch, which is the recommended overkill of 200%. With a lower dpi value, you might see banding -- the 'edges' of single pixels may become visible in a repeated pattern across the entire photograph.

A screen of 150 lines per inch is considered "high quality". A typical value for book printing is 120 lpi (and newspapers may go as low as 85 lpi). Only real art books go up to 180 lpi, and may need special equipment to get that on the paper.
    To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day, To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Cool, do you have 30 more seconds, so you can answer the rest of it?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

6. Default Re: GD help. Graphic design, that is...

I can add this after a little search;

Though Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) files can be saved completely uncompressed for maximum quality, you can also apply a lossless compression algorithm decrease file size. Like PNGs and GIFs, the TIFF format supports full 24-bit color.

Best Uses: Because TIFFs offer a high color depth and an uncompressed option, they are a superior format for printing high-resolution photographs or other pixel-based (raster) images. The vast majority of free and commercial graphics-editing applications allow you to save images in the TIFF format.
    To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day, To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

7. Default Re: GD help. Graphic design, that is...

Here is a tutorial on packaging files that contain other elements beside pictures

http://designinstruct.com/print-desi...les-for-print/

Sweet dude, thanks. Good work.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire