View Poll Results: What is your plan for Swtor?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beta'd Will play Swtor

    6 27.27%
  • Beta'd Won't play Swtor

    5 22.73%
  • Didn't Beta will play

    1 4.55%
  • Didn't Beta won't play

    10 45.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 101
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,149

    Default Swtor projections

    Lets poll this, shit combs. Answer the poll then state what kind of server interests you. PvE PvP RP PvE or RP PVP
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,149

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    RP PvE
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

  3. #3

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Won't be playing. Game was the worst MMO I've ever played. From a technical standpoint, it did everything right, but it failed to take any steps forward. Almost everything in the game has been seen or done before. It's World of Warcraft: Jedi Edition. It isn't even as good as World of Warcraft, because the abilities aren't nearly as thematic or interesting. Instead of taking Star Wars lore and trying to mold classes and gameplay around it, it almost seems like they took World of Warcraft classes and found Star Wars minutia to emulate them. It's actually backwards from WoW in many ways: Dysfunctional things that Blizzard removed over the years are still present, making the game feel woefully dated from the start.**

    It's sad that with a $130+ million budget, all they could come up with is a copy of a game from 2004. I mean, anyone who hasn't played WoW before will think it's awesome, just as I could copy everything from Gears of War and I'm sure I'd fool some people into thinking I've made the best third-person shooter ever. If I'm going to play World of Warcraft, though, I'll just play the original.

    (**For instance, Blizzard found out a year ago that it didn't make any sense to have you run all the way back to a trainer just to learn Rank 2 of an ability. TOR still makes you do that, and it's horribly annoying. It doesn't even make sense from the viewpoint of certain classes. Smugglers in particular are shown to be accomplished right off the bat, owning their own ship and giving lip to people trying to tell them what to do. So then they sit down and learn stuff from a teacher? It feels awkwardly shoehorned in.)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,149

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Well, I disagree with you completely. The "just like WOW" argument is pretty weak.because it doesn't really tell you much. St any rate, I agree that the *gameplay* is similar to WoW though the feel is different. Having large health pools and adding in the companions make both pcp and pve feel disinguishable enough from WoW for me. Thats just gameplay thigh.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

  5. #5

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Well, I disagree with you completely. The "just like WOW" argument is pretty weak.because it doesn't really tell you much. St any rate, I agree that the *gameplay* is similar to WoW though the feel is different. Having large health pools and adding in the companions make both pcp and pve feel disinguishable enough from WoW for me. Thats just gameplay thigh.
    How is the feel different? Most of the Jedi classes have abilities literally ripped from WoW. Force Lightning is Mind Flay, Jolt is Kick, Low Sweep is Gouge, Force Leap is Charge, Force Shroud is Cloak of Shadows, etc. And the Rogue classes have the same 100 energy, fast regen pool that Rogues do. The Warrior classes have a slightly tweaked Rage mechanic. I honestly felt like I was playing a more boring WoW, since the game doesn't have near the ambiance, aesthetic, or immersion that WoW does in most of its areas.

    Companions annoy me. Partially because they repeat the same shitty dialogue constantly, they're blandly written, and they force me to be a pet class. I hate pet classes. It felt like playing a Warlock, only I also had to consider what equipment my pet was wearing.

    The only class that felt somewhat interesting was the Smuggler/Imperial Agent. The cover mechanic was cool, though a bit buggy, and felt like a hindrance once I got to group play. Then I saw high-level videos of the class were basically "sit in cover and repeat the same 5 abilities over and over again." Even in PvP, you were a turret. Bleh.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,149

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    I admit, I didn't play much of the Jedi classes. I mostly played trooper, agent, and bounty hunter. They didn't play or feel like any class in WOW to me.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

  7. #7

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    I don't play WoW past Lv18, and I was thinking about playing a SITH Inquisitor for lolLightning. How many buttons are we talking for PvP? Do I have a few nice spells like DAoC to take a shit on someone or do I have to manage twenty skills all on timers?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,149

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Vkhaun, from what I know of you and your gaming habits, I'd highly recommend the Trooper class. Or Bounty Hunter if you like Empire more.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

  9. #9

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    I don't play WoW past Lv18, and I was thinking about playing a SITH Inquisitor for lolLightning. How many buttons are we talking for PvP? Do I have a few nice spells like DAoC to take a shit on someone or do I have to manage twenty skills all on timers?
    The Sith Inquisitor has one of the worst, if not the worst, storylines in the whole game. The game is very much like WoW, if not more so, in that they just hurl tons of skills at you. At level 15 on my Sith Assassin, I had like three stand-up attacks, one low cooldown instant DD, a stun on a 1m cooldown, a backstab attack, an interrupt, a sprint spell, an AOE knockback, a channeled DD/snare, etc.

    If you want to get an idea of what skills there are, you can go to www.torhead.com.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    1,315

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    I had a lot of fun playing the beta, and I enjoyed the stories. The sith class stories with the intrigue and backstabbing were good, they were the best stories of all of them (though I only played most classes to level 6 so I didn't see the whole range, I did play the inquisitor and consular to level 10 though).

    As to the whole "it's the same old thing" complaint, when I play a shooter it generally plays like every other shooter I have played; the difference is in the story (such as it is for a shooter), the missions, the environment, and the quality of the graphics. I honestly don't want to deal with a DCUO that tries to make itself unique by using some weird twitch-button dance control system.

    I'm waiting for my early access, I hope to be in by Friday, I will be playing on RP-PvE and RP-PvP servers.
    -Make America Nazi Free!

    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

    -"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,452

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    I had a lot of fun playing the beta, and I enjoyed the stories. The sith class stories with the intrigue and backstabbing were good, they were the best stories of all of them (though I only played most classes to level 6 so I didn't see the whole range, I did play the inquisitor and consular to level 10 though).

    As to the whole "it's the same old thing" complaint, when I play a shooter it generally plays like every other shooter I have played; the difference is in the story (such as it is for a shooter), the missions, the environment, and the quality of the graphics. I honestly don't want to deal with a DCUO that tries to make itself unique by using some weird twitch-button dance control system.

    I'm waiting for my early access, I hope to be in by Friday, I will be playing on RP-PvE and RP-PvP servers.
    That's pretty funny considering DCUO's combat was it's strongest asset(aside from the DC Universe itself). The only reason the game ran out of steam was because of glitches not being fixed and pve content running out quickly.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    I'll be playing on a PvE server with a few buddies.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    1,315

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobi View Post
    That's pretty funny considering DCUO's combat was it's strongest asset(aside from the DC Universe itself). The only reason the game ran out of steam was because of glitches not being fixed and pve content running out quickly.
    It was only its strongest asset for part of the player base. During the beta there were a lot of traditional MMO players who were not happy with the control system as they were not console/twitch players and I think it is part of why the game failed. They might have done better to market it as a console game exclusively.
    -Make America Nazi Free!

    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

    -"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,149

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    I had a lot of fun playing the beta, and I enjoyed the stories. The sith class stories with the intrigue and backstabbing were good, they were the best stories of all of them (though I only played most classes to level 6 so I didn't see the whole range, I did play the inquisitor and consular to level 10 though).

    As to the whole "it's the same old thing" complaint, when I play a shooter it generally plays like every other shooter I have played; the difference is in the story (such as it is for a shooter), the missions, the environment, and the quality of the graphics. I honestly don't want to deal with a DCUO that tries to make itself unique by using some weird twitch-button dance control system.

    I'm waiting for my early access, I hope to be in by Friday, I will be playing on RP-PvE and RP-PvP servers.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

  15. #15

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    As to the whole "it's the same old thing" complaint, when I play a shooter it generally plays like every other shooter I have played; the difference is in the story (such as it is for a shooter), the missions, the environment, and the quality of the graphics. I honestly don't want to deal with a DCUO that tries to make itself unique by using some weird twitch-button dance control system.
    I'd agree to a point, however, new games generally have some twist to them. Halo was a shooter that relied heavily on its improved AI, vehicles, and interesting regenerating health/weapons systems. Deus Ex was a shooter that incorporated various RPG mechanics into it. Serious Sam was a shooter that eschewed most of the modern day trends in favor of sheer balls-to-the-wall action. They were all shooters, but they all had something you could put a finger on as their particular spin on the genre.

    I didn't get any of that from SWTOR. A lot of buzzwords maybe, but the companions system is literally: You get a pet. End. I felt no more connection to my companion than I did to my Hunter's dog in WoW. In fact, I felt less because I got to pick my Hunter's pet, it was an expression of myself - not something the game chose for me. And make no mistake, this is my biggest beef with the story in SWTOR: You don't get to be anything you want. You only get to be what BioWare tells you. Ironically, in adding this storyline stuff to bring the "RPG" back into MMORPG, they've destroyed it.

    But back to the companions. Even worse than the connection or the choice, I could excuse walking into a city and seeing a dozen identical dogs - canines of a similar breed look pretty much the same - but when everyone is wandering around with Khem Val strapped to their back, and they're all saying the same quotes, it devolves into absurdity real quick and you begin to think the designers just didn't consider how the game was going to come together. That lack of foresight resonates within just about all the stuff BioWare tried with SWTOR. The sad part is that there are a few neat ideas, but they seem to have spent all the money on voice-actors and shitty writers instead of polishing the gameplay.
    Last edited by Ero Elohim; 12-14-2011 at 10:36 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,149

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Once again I think you are completely wrong. I've NEVER felt an immersive quality in an MMO like I felt playing SWTOR. The story so completely sucked me in, that I found my self questing and leveling simply to find out what was going to happen next to my character. That has never been done before. I wasn't chasing loot, or advantage over other players, simple plot drive character progression. That's what it's done different with all those so called "voice actors and shitty writers".
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

  17. #17

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Once again I think you are completely wrong. I've NEVER felt an immersive quality in an MMO like I felt playing SWTOR. The story so completely sucked me in, that I found my self questing and leveling simply to find out what was going to happen next to my character. That has never been done before. I wasn't chasing loot, or advantage over other players, simple plot drive character progression. That's what it's done different with all those so called "voice actors and shitty writers".
    Read a book. Go play any of BioWare's recent games. Realize that their recent writing is about on par with those Goosebumps books that were so awesome back in elementary school. I don't know when it happened, but somewhere along the line, BW started relying way too much on bad clichés instead of interesting plots and characters.

    The only story I was actively interested in was the Imperial Agent story, because it was the only story that you feel like a character in, with actual motivations and choices, instead of a walking god that gets worshipped all over the place.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    992

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Admittedly I've only watched videos of SWTOR, but immersion seems like the one thing it doesn't have. Between the glowing bright doors that might as well have the words "YOUR PHASE HERE" plastered on them and the multiple-choice dialogue which, from what I've seen, usually tries to drag you obviously towards a single plot point regardless of the answers you give. I've never seen so many immersion-jarring from the storytelling mechanics themselves...

    Also, it doesn't really seem to have an aesthetic style, which would also help in that regard.
    It's going to be a fine day tomorrow. We will have salad...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,149

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Ero Elohim View Post
    Read a book. Go play any of BioWare's recent games. Realize that their recent writing is about on par with those Goosebumps books that were so awesome back in elementary school. I don't know when it happened, but somewhere along the line, BW started relying way too much on bad clichés instead of interesting plots and characters.

    The only story I was actively interested in was the Imperial Agent story, because it was the only story that you feel like a character in, with actual motivations and choices, instead of a walking god that gets worshipped all over the place.
    I've played every bioware release in the past three years. I read a lot of books. In fact, I often discuss the books I read with Marou and Aeinna. I love the stories in SWTOR and disagree with your assertion that they are somehow adolescent or juvenile. First off, it's a fucking star wars game wherein they have this whole you know GOOD and EVIL force driving people in some sort of wacky cliche battle for good vs evil. Maybe you should have watched a movie before playing the game?

    Second, what class do you get worshiped in? I played the Agent to 10-11 ish and at 40 to 45 no worshiping there. I played the Bounty Hunter to 30 no worshiping there. I played Smuggler to 24 no worshiping there. I played the Trooper to 21 no worshiping going on there either. I played the Sith Sorcerer from 42 to 45 and while there was so reverence from SOME people, the quest line absolutely did NOTHING to make you feel like a God-- in fact you were trying to find a way to stop something really terrible happening.

    Almost everyone that I have heard from that enjoys the game, does so for the story aspect and the plot-driven character progression. Maybe we all just aren't as "advanced" as you with our simple tastes.
    Last edited by Zavon; 12-15-2011 at 06:56 AM.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    I started on the only East Coast RP PvP server. Imperial Agent. In the beta I would get to level 10 and then do nothing but PvP. I never even saw the first FlashPoint. I am going to take my time and enjoy the story and PvE for awhile now that it has released (for pre-orders at least).

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,281

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Quote Originally Posted by trol View Post
    I started on the only East Coast RP PvP server. Imperial Agent. In the beta I would get to level 10 and then do nothing but PvP. I never even saw the first FlashPoint. I am going to take my time and enjoy the story and PvE for awhile now that it has released (for pre-orders at least).
    Trol is everyone with a preorder in yet or do we have to wait for an email still?
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

  22. #22

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    I haven't been at all interested in this since the lead producer kept using "just like WoW" to explain every gameplay system and mechanic during e3 interviews. However, I don't begrudge you guys the ability to enjoy it, more power to ya. You can argue about similarities all you want, but when the people who made it use "just like WoW" to describe every aspect of the game except voiceovers that kinda says it all.

    To Alex, asserting that a game failed because it has "twitch controls" is the most ignorant thing I've read on these boards recently. The problem is that all of the games that have come out that have solid gameplay and active character control have lacked severely in every other area. Content, loot, PvP, etc. In fact more games based on the ancient MUD style gameplay fail because there are more of them. The games with more active gameplay have found niche audiences in spite of completely lacking redeeming content/gear loot systems/and interesting PvP. Wii Bowling and Angry birds have more "twitch" to them than old-school MMO combat. If a control scheme is bad it can certainly kill a game, but involving some aspect of player skill in targetting and avoiding damage is far more interesting than, click 1, invisible dice roll, invisible dice roll of defensive skills, roll damage, crit, you died.

    ---------------------------------

    I have come to the conclusion that new no pay 2 play MMO's with both "traditional" control schemes and game design goals (raiding, loot farming) can succeed because they are trying to compete against games with much more refined balance and content having nearly identical gameplay/play experience. Every one that has come out has failed spectacularly within 90 days. I think SWToR will do the same as the new game smell wears off and everyone cancels...leaving empty servers and ultimately a destroyed Bioware in it's wake.

    If you're still playing 3 months after release and want to come tell me how wrong I am and how much fun you're still having I'll be here. If I wanted that sort of experience I'd just fire up EQ2 since it's free now, has better graphics than SWToR, and likely has way more content. Since I don't, I'll stick with DDO and Eve for my occasional MMO fixes.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,149

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    I haven't been at all interested in this since the lead producer kept using "just like WoW" to explain every gameplay system and mechanic during e3 interviews. However, I don't begrudge you guys the ability to enjoy it, more power to ya. You can argue about similarities all you want, but when the people who made it use "just like WoW" to describe every aspect of the game except voiceovers that kinda says it all.

    To Alex, asserting that a game failed because it has "twitch controls" is the most ignorant thing I've read on these boards recently. The problem is that all of the games that have come out that have solid gameplay and active character control have lacked severely in every other area. Content, loot, PvP, etc. In fact more games based on the ancient MUD style gameplay fail because there are more of them. The games with more active gameplay have found niche audiences in spite of completely lacking redeeming content/gear loot systems/and interesting PvP. Wii Bowling and Angry birds have more "twitch" to them than old-school MMO combat. If a control scheme is bad it can certainly kill a game, but involving some aspect of player skill in targetting and avoiding damage is far more interesting than, click 1, invisible dice roll, invisible dice roll of defensive skills, roll damage, crit, you died.

    ---------------------------------

    I have come to the conclusion that new no pay 2 play MMO's with both "traditional" control schemes and game design goals (raiding, loot farming) can succeed because they are trying to compete against games with much more refined balance and content having nearly identical gameplay/play experience. Every one that has come out has failed spectacularly within 90 days. I think SWToR will do the same as the new game smell wears off and everyone cancels...leaving empty servers and ultimately a destroyed Bioware in it's wake.

    If you're still playing 3 months after release and want to come tell me how wrong I am and how much fun you're still having I'll be here. If I wanted that sort of experience I'd just fire up EQ2 since it's free now, has better graphics than SWToR, and likely has way more content. Since I don't, I'll stick with DDO and Eve for my occasional MMO fixes.
    There is so much here to counter that I am overwhelmed. Instead of beating a dead horse against the stupid just like wow vs just like every mmo in the history of mmo's, argument I will just state the following: I fully expect to only play for 3 months. I love that you think that is somehow a problem. I don't purchase a game to supplant my lacking social life or to somehow fulfill me. I played Skyrim for a couple of weeks and it was amazing-- it was the exact kind of experience I expected from it. Once I am done playing through the stories of SWTOR I will give that game up as well. It's worth it to me.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    450

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    I probably won't buy the game, but I am pretty sure my brother is going to so I'll probably bum his account to level a character or two for the storyline then never play it again.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Swtor projections

    Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    There is so much here to counter that I am overwhelmed. Instead of beating a dead horse against the stupid just like wow vs just like every mmo in the history of mmo's, argument I will just state the following: I fully expect to only play for 3 months. I love that you think that is somehow a problem. I don't purchase a game to supplant my lacking social life or to somehow fulfill me. I played Skyrim for a couple of weeks and it was amazing-- it was the exact kind of experience I expected from it. Once I am done playing through the stories of SWTOR I will give that game up as well. It's worth it to me.
    Again, it was the producer said every aspect is "just like WoW", and it's not a problem for me that you'll only play it a few months. It's a problem for Bioware when they fail to meet expectations and EA ends them. I'm glad that you'll get a good 2-3 months out of your $75-$90 investment. That's about $1 a day and is a great value for the money. I'd do it too if it even remotely interested me. It doesn't though at that price; around a year from now when it's free to play I might try it when really bored.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts