+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GW2 World PvP

Default GW2 World PvP

This interests me greatly, I'm surprised someone hadn't talked about it in detail. I could care less about the "structured PvP" but the world PvP seems well thought out and could potentially be a great thing if they devote significant resources to it. Any more good info out there?

"The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Default Re: GW2 World PvP

I'm pretty sure we talked about this in the big GW2 thread, but it's been a while since I looked at it. Basically DAOC style WorldvWorldvWorld pvp where you take over areas of a large map(think keeps). They said the world you face off against will rotate every couple months iirc. They're trying to instill server pride like DAOC had realm pride into the genre again.

They are still working on it quite a bit, so no info or demo footage quite yet. I think a round is 2 weeks. You can change your world/server at any time, but are locked out of WvW until a new round if you do. Also, they said the economy was shared across worlds (auction house isn't dependent). All good things...

I wonder how they plan to keep things balanced in something like Open World PvsP if it's server vs server? It's not like Nimue vs Guin would have been fair in the frontier back in the busy days of DAoC.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    I wonder how they plan to keep things balanced in something like Open World PvsP if it's server vs server? It's not like Nimue vs Guin would have been fair in the frontier back in the busy days of DAoC.
    I expect they will tie in micro transactions. The rewards will probably be the same currency as is used for the cash shop, and the underdog gets some significant bonus to points earned. If they did regular game rewards it would be a punishment that slowed down lots of people on the larger side. It's clearly much better for PR reasons to reward the minority instead, and that means non-essential quality of life type stuff. The stuff you'd find in a cash shop.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 12-30-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Wouldn't it in this case be closer to the tri-realm example of DAoC, and not really like server vs server(ala guin vs nimue example). Of course, in the case of worldvworldvworld, I imagine most times it's going to be two worlds stomping on one mercilessly, fighting it out after.

Only match similar sized servers together? That's not really hard to do unless one server is INCREDIBLY underpopulated. Since they plan to rotate servers on a weekly-biweekly basis anyway, even if you got matched up against an overwhelming force, it'd just be a fun change for awhile.

It's also WvWvW. Matches three servers together, not two. And since structured PvP is different from WvW, if you're absolutely shit on in WvW by population differences, you can just go to arranged PvP and have a fair match.

Hell, they even plan to have free server transfers, too. Don't like your current overpopulated server queues? Move to a small one. Want a bigger community? Move to a bigger server.

I have high expectations for this game, and that is inevitably a bad thing for me...
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

I'm sure there are ways they will find to minimize it. I've just been thinking about the way servers get broken up into "demographics" though. Your PvsE nuts will gravitate towards one server, your hardcore raiders to another. I mean take DAoC for example, on quite a few servers one realm would out populate both of its opponents in sheer numbers but be completely out populated by either realm in the frontier every night.

It could be fun though rotating against servers, especially if they made an RP server. It'd be fun to put together some RP PvsP'ers and see how we could do against the MMO "jocks" lol. Being the underdog is the only truly fun win.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon