+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help With Troubleshooting My Ethernet Adapter

Default Need Help With Troubleshooting My Ethernet Adapter

My wireless works fine, but I have a bad USB card and I hate it so I moved all my stuff to the other side of the room so I could use my ethernet cable, but I'm getting the old "Unidentified network - no internet access" error. The IT guy came and checked the port in the wall and it appears to be working, and I tried all the normal stuff in the cmd line and nothing worked. I also noticed that the default gateway was blank when I did ipconfig, so I opened up my network adapter advanced properties and added one manually, but to no avail.

Googling the problem was about as much help as shoving shards of glass up my ass and sitting in a tub of Tabasco sauce. But I learned that apparently the problem can be cause by Adobe CS3 as well as something called Apple Bonjour.

I'm a font of silent rage right now. Someone must know what I can do to get my wired connection working. I should mention that the wired connection works at my home and all my friends' houses, just not here in the dorm.

Default Re: Need Help With Troubleshooting My Ethernet Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy Brown View Post
    shoving shards of glass up my ass and sitting in a tub of Tabasco sauce.
    Have you tried Siracha?

Did you have a static IP setup? ( usually for port forwarding) If you did you might need to change it. Other than that im not really sure =/

Nah it's set to retrieve automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy Brown View Post
    My wireless works fine, but I have a bad USB card and I hate it so I moved all my stuff to the other side of the room so I could use my ethernet cable, but I'm getting the old "Unidentified network - no internet access" error. The IT guy came and checked the port in the wall and it appears to be working, and I tried all the normal stuff in the cmd line and nothing worked. I also noticed that the default gateway was blank when I did ipconfig, so I opened up my network adapter advanced properties and added one manually, but to no avail.

Googling the problem was about as much help as shoving shards of glass up my ass and sitting in a tub of Tabasco sauce. But I learned that apparently the problem can be cause by Adobe CS3 as well as something called Apple Bonjour.

I'm a font of silent rage right now. Someone must know what I can do to get my wired connection working. I should mention that the wired connection works at my home and all my friends' houses, just not here in the dorm.
    This may be a dumb question Boxy but did you disable your wireless networking card before setting up the wired? My father in laws PC had a wireless and wired networking card and when I went from wireless to wired I couldn't get it to recoginzie the network or anything. It was like not having the drivers installed for the wired or something. I disabled the wireless following some other line of troubleshooting the problem and all of a sudden the wired kicked in and has been fine ever sense.

I don't know if it is some kind of feature of windows 7 or what but that was all it took for me. To this day if I enable the wireless card the wired loses it's connection.

That being said I've also had to disable IPhelper and a few other things on my wifes w7 laptop because of some bullshit that w7 does with networking. She kept getting 5 second lag spikes about every 30 seconds in games with the last w7 update.

+ Reply to Thread