+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legends of Grimrock

Overseeing a mass of self-replicating organic matter.

Default Re: Legends of Grimrock

Not that I've found, I only have one heavy armor user, so when his gear upgrades a piece I leave the old behind usually.

the deault party has 1 mino fighter, humam fighter, human mage, human rogue

I went to heavy armor straight away on both of them. Really like the human warrior, not so impressed with the mino, he just takes too much damage and misses too much compared to the human. Then again, I view the human as my "primary" so he has the best fighter gear.

My rogue is lvl 12 assassination so she can melee from the back row, with rest into daggers and a few into thrown weapons. My mage is fire/ice

I think for my 2nd playthrough i'll go 1 human fighter, 1 unarmed lizardman rogue, then either two mages or a mage and a missle rogue.

Also, fucking crabs man. Hit like a mack truck. Why niot Zoidberg? That's why not.

Edit: Oh, forgot to add, there is "treasure" hidden in the dungeon, they are the only real piece of "loot" that I'm keeping, I think they'll play a part in any final score. Everhything else I toss once I'm sure they won't have a use, and so far weight has been no problem. Briefly my food consumption was outpacing what I was finding, but that has since ended (and when it did occur I had like 16 pieces of food in my inventory, so it was no real danger unless it continued for a long duration, which is what I was fearing.)
    Last edited by Norska; 04-13-2012 at 02:06 AM.

I went with two insectoid mages and their reduced food consumption has been very very noticeable. I was worried about food when I stopped seeing snails and everything turned to skeletons... but so far so good.

Oh, and in my search for secrets I began diving purposefully into pits, and it turns out this is not only necessary for several secrets, but a lot of times there is food down there!

Finally got the game, going with mino/fighter lizard/unarmed rogue insect/range rogue and insect/earth/ice mage. Love the game so far, and keeping my rogue's evasion high seems to keep him pretty unscathed as a front liner. My mino has been hitting like a truck with mace and a couple skulls in his inventory.

Got to floor 10 today. Hahahaha, oh man, this game HATES the player. Anyone who hasn't gotten here yet, you're in for a shock.

I can't wait for the good version of this game that wants people to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Valec View Post
    I can't wait for the good version of this game that wants people to have fun.
    On the contrary, I find it hilarious when the game takes me by surprise and kills me. It reminds me of Dark Souls - another game that arguably hated the player.

I decided to give it a try. On floor 6 and loving it so far. I have a backrow 100% throwing rogue that tears through things. Almost 10 knives in one hand and 10 shurikens in the other, double throwing them like crazy. Not happy with my mage, I haven't found many T2 spells and most of the ones I did find take tons of mana, so just using the first fire spell.

You can always look up spells or just fiddle with the Runes. The game lies to you and says you need to find the scrolls first, but you don't. However, it never tracks the combinations. You need to memorize the ones you like using.

Fireball is a great spell, by the way. 150+ damage per cast. And yes, ranged characters become absurdly powerful once you unlock their double-shot abilities. They're balanced by quickly running out of ammo and being rendered mostly useless if you can't pick it back up, though. I'm actually finding my dagger rogue the most underwhelming character. I rarely have time to backstab and his normal attacks don't do a significant amount of damage compared to my mace-warrior, crossbow-rogue, or mage. Usually about 30-50 damage, when the warrior is hitting for 80-100, the archer can hit for over 200 at attack speeds higher than the dagger user, and the mage is throwing 120-150 damage fireballs and turning my party invisible.

Got halfway through 7 tonight before I had to call it quits to sleep.

I'm having the same experience with my dagger Rogue, he's pretty much become like a real low damage tank, cause he survives a lot but has way less output than my Mino fighter - who from dungeon levels 1-5 really kinda was underwhelming but since getting a badass level 10 sword (and he's sword spec) and a crazy shield from killing a bunch of bugs in a pit, he's now really really tanky and puts out really solid damage. I'm still using the Fist Dagger on the rogue though, so I'm hoping maybe something is coming his way in terms of a weapon... it's been a while. The two mages in the back are complimenting each other nicely, though in hindsight I realize I wasted a bit of points trying to split spec them both - my fire/ice mage has now become all ice + basic fireball (incase there's some instances where mobs are cold resistant), and the earth/air guy has shifted to pure air for lightning bolt and invisibility.

Still enjoying it, especially now that I've found some really nice pieces. Oh, and I just figured out tonight (after that pit fight on level 11) that you can resurrect your team at the blue crystal... I've been playing as if a char dead was a char dead. I knew there had to be a way to res them, but never knew how so always reloaded whenever someone died, or just flanked my ass off and fought super conservatively in touchy situations. I've now become waaay more relaxed about death haha....

I was previously worried about running out of food and now it seems I am constantly over-eating just to unburden myself, I have so much of it.

I feel like the puzzle challenge has been a bit light on 5 & 6, though I do appreciate the wealth of secrets. Maze of Shadow was cute, but easy.

Taolas mages really ramp up the damage when you use icebolt/fireball/lightning - the earth bolt (poison) kinda sucks. Also being able to cast light in the Spellcrafting line is pretty handy, especially if you don't want to worry about torches. My one mage is faster than my dagger rogue with his spells after he got the 50% speed boost to combat casting, the damage output is great - main problem is energy management for fights against more than 2 mobs, but by now if you've been diligent you should have plenty of supplies to craft energy potions to fill in the gaps during tough fights when the mage runs dry. The damage is worth it.
    Last edited by Draconian; 04-15-2012 at 04:37 AM.

Do you have to run a party in this?
    Will it scale in any sense if you want to do one character going through solo?
    Loot advantage, difficulty down, any sense in playing one rather than a party?

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Do you have to run a party in this?
    Will it scale in any sense if you want to do one character going through solo?
    Loot advantage, difficulty down, any sense in playing one rather than a party?
    You can't even start the game without four party members.

I've intentionally killed off my other party members in similar style games an just went at it solo. In those games, you got a large chunk more experience, as it all went to one charater instead of being divided up based on dmg/hits etc between the 4 party members as it is now.

So, you'll level faster, have a more powerful character, only need to worry bout feeding/gearing out one person... but the monster difficulty will be the same vs 4 people and you'll lose versatility. Some games it fucks you over, as certain parts are completely unplayable without 2+ party members, some are completely doable.

I'm about half way through lvl 6, and so far I've seen nothing that wouldn't be doable if you only had 1 party member alive.

Would just have to avoid using the blue crystals on each level if you wanted it never to res the other characters. Though they come in handy as refill stones for a couple fights, you can easily ignore them and have almost no impact on the game.

I have seen a couple parts of the game though, where just 1 character would be pretty damn impossible IMO - there's a few places where you get absolutely swarmed and surrounded - though I think they are optional in some cases if you don't care about completing every little detail. In those battles though, you really need the DPS of 4 people to plow through and get to more defensible and mobile positions.

I'm now fully finished with all levels through 8, and about to start 9. Spent a good chunk of today on 7 & 8 (as they sort of intertwine) looting the hell out of everything and looking for secrets. I killed an ogre in a pit by landing on its head earlier on pure chance!

I can't wait for the map editor, I could see myself designing a dungeon for this. I just hope it's easy to work with!

Woo, still having a great time with this. The puzzles are really well done, except for that darn fireball puzzle on 7(?). My melee/dodge rogue in the front row survives everything and is going to max melee to help his damage. My heavy armor user isn't quite as durable, but with better armor he's starting to be comparable. Of course, the game had to start throwing tons of mages at me, which makes armor/dodge useless.

My back row, 100% throwing rogue is still the best. Got him to Lv50 throwing and he is my main damage dealer (especially against ranged enemies). My mage still sucks, as I've been saving up to ~20 points to see if I want fireball or the ice ball. Don't really have a huge need for my mage most of the time. I could almost spec him for resist spells, as elemental damage gives me the most trouble.

I think I figured out xp... A guy gets full xp if they do damage, half xp if they do no damage, and 0 xp if they are dead.

Got to level 9... don't have any rocks, and I specifically need two rocks. FML.

I don't even remember where I last used one...

Quote Originally Posted by Draconian View Post
    Got to level 9... don't have any rocks, and I specifically need two rocks. FML.

I don't even remember where I last used one...
    The "throw rocks north and east" puzzle? You can use anything small enough to hurl at walls. I used skulls.

Really? Hmm I must not have the right spot then cause I tried shuriken. I did think there was no clear cut spot if they're referring to all 3 fields of light... so I probably just picked the wrong spot.

That's very very good news, I haven't wanted to play cause I walked back through parts of 7 and 8 trying to find some rocks and came up with nothin. Planned on continuing to backtrack further... thank god I don't have to!

Also, I only have 3 skulls and I'm just beginning 9... I feel like I must've missed some.

edit: And I can't believe the checkerboard puzzle had an achievement attached to it. I saw that a week ago or w/e I started and was all intrigued at what devious puzzle must have its own achievement... turned out to be a completely obvious and lame puzzle, IMO.
    Last edited by Draconian; 04-16-2012 at 11:50 PM.

BTW - VK you might like this. If you get the Buddies with Toorum achievement (side quest/secret in late game), you can start a new game, name your character Toorum and get a unique 1-person party of just him, with special skillsets and stats - and run through the campaign solo, legitimately.

He's a character in the game you learn about in scrolls.

In addition to a very diverse set of skills, Toorum is also equipped with the exclusive Thunderstruck trait, which grants him 2x normal movement speed. All of these bonuses should add up to make your future play-throughs a great deal more interesting. Note that unlike a standard Mage, Toorum requires a staff or orb of some sort to use magic.

And, solved the puzzle with shuriken, was in the wrong spot.

There's another puzzle that really requires a rock, so make sure you hold onto at least one. A bone necklace is needed at some point too. As for skulls, I missed one on floor 3 and had to go back up to get it. There's also a skull on floor 2.

Yeah I got all those I think. Stopped halfway through 10 before I go into the Caverns and Shrine.

Did I hit the part where you said they hate the player Ero? What shock? I was expecting to like.. be stripped of my gear or something as part of the storyline, or just killed off on level 10 completely as "the ending" to the game, dunno seems pretty normal so far. Finally some challenging mobs, IMO.
    Last edited by Draconian; 04-17-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Yeah, I couldn't find a spot like that either. The only thing I could think of is a puzzle that requires certain items to continue on... they're common, but if you don't have them it could be a pain. Floor 7 was the worst with a fireball and the sword of Nex being used, plus the timing puzzle was a bit too strict for me.

LMAO... just visited the official forums to check on news of the level editor, and in the game discussion there are several threads with people asking if the compass is broken. There are seriously a good number of people who don't understand how a compass works.

am i crazy or is the compass broken?

Postby affa Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:42 am
    Ok, I'm automapping, and on level 9. I stopped using the compass ages ago because it was driving me crazy; today i thought to give it another try.

and it was still driving me crazy, and then i spent the time to figure out why. I'm absolutely convinced it's broken.

and then i called my wife in, feeling crazy. We both agree, the compass doesn't work. I tried this on multiple levels, just to make sure I wasn't in some 'trap'.

IN GAME: If 'red' is pointing up, and you turn right, red now points left.

That simply can't happen. Red should be pointing right.

Llet's say 'red' is the direction you're facing, and grey is not.

If red is pointing up, that would mean you're facing North, and if you turn right, red should point right, which is East.

If for some reason grey and not red is the indicator, then if red is facing up you're facing South, and if you turn right grey should be facing West... but it's not, it's facing East.

The compass is broken.
    Called his wife in... jeeeesus christ these people are dense.

Anyway, made it through 9 & 10, got to the Prison and am completely disappointed with the direction the game feels like it's going right now. The tileset it fucking hideous down there. I took a peek around before I quit and dove down to 13 as well, and I know I have some nice combat coming up, but I'm pretty sure this is shaping up to be a letdown of an ending.

We'll see tomorrow.

Yeah, don't get hyped over the ending. At all. It's like Hollywood poked its head in and was like "Oh, hey! Let me help you with that!" ... I liked the prison tiles though.

Once an editor is out, someone should delete the prison and continue the story.

+ Reply to Thread