+ Reply to Thread

Default A Game I Am Making --- Need Feedback

I am making a simple game and I need someone other than myself to debug it. Give suggestions as to what you think I should add. Obviously it may be short, but it isn't like I have spent too much time on it either. Setting up a game takes more time than grinding through getting rooms and plot in. The only error that may occur is sound, but everything works fine for me.

Here is the link to download it.

http://www.filefront.com/16186393/Dungeon.exe/

Default Re: A Game I Am Making --- Need Feedback

Way too much hype around this game. I'm sorry but calling something that already exists by a different name does not make it "innovative". The graphics are too much for my Tandy 1000, the quests are nothing but delivery boy chores and the CSRs are nonexistent. This is nothing but another Korean grind fest and it takes too long to get to the PvsP.

I'll try to play it some and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    Way too much hype around this game. I'm sorry but calling something that already exists by a different name does not make it "innovative". The graphics are too much for my Tandy 1000, the quests are nothing but delivery boy chores and the CSRs are nonexistent. This is nothing but another Korean grind fest and it takes too long to get to the PvsP.

I'll try to play it some and get back to you.
    lol

I'm not going to lie, this game seems pretty pointless. Anyone with a few months of game development training could make this game without a game engine.

On the second level, I moved the boulder onto square 10/9 and got the ghost trapped to the right of it, forcing me to kill myself to restart the game. Got stuck again when the ghost was trying to go the opposite direction. Again had to kill myself. I don't know if you plan on making you start at the beginning every time you die once you finish the game, but I would be pretty pissed if something like that happened much later on.

Work in some lives concept, so you restart at that level instead of the beginning. I got the chest at the end of the third room, and nothing seemed to happen, and when I went in for the next ladder, the game just died on me. Was that supposed to happen?

THough it's not bad, considering that it's pretty much your first attempt at making a game without any training or experience.
    s.u.p.p.y.

To Graveworm: It may be pointless, but it is my first game, so obviously it is going to be small and dumb.

To Mute: I have known about the ghost issues, but I thought it might be fun trying to dodge them while fixing your "glitched seeming" rock, but, as unrealistic as that is, I have fixed it (but not re-uploading yet).

To Warrsong: I will put something like that in if more people think so. It is reasonable. Like a checkpoint or something. I think quick saving would make it too easy though. The chest has a chance to drop the fists.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlimeister View Post
    To Graveworm: It may be pointless, but it is my first game, so obviously it is going to be small and dumb.
    Is this just a hobby for you? If so, by all means keep making dumb games. If this is something you want to do for real, you are going to need to get an education.

and you graveworm, need to get laid. the venom you spew is quite annoying. how nice that you get a new name on the forums, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiantx69 View Post
    and you graveworm, need to get laid. the venom you spew is quite annoying. how nice that you get a new name on the forums, huh?
    He asked for feedback, and I'm giving it to him. Even with a degree, it isn't easy to break into making games. Without one, it's damn near impossible. There may be more to Gimlimeister than I am seeing right now, but if this game is any indication he doesn't have a chance as is. As I said though, this is assuming he wants this to be more than a hobby. If he is into game design as a hobby, games like this are a perfectly fine place to start. That is what I meant (and I meant it to be brutally honest, not insulting).

I'm just making this for fun. I have messed around making a game with C++, but I got so little result out of the effort, that I stopped thinking about going to college for programming and the like. I made a better game with a TI-83+ calculator, but that was out of boredom. I'm thinking of getting a Bachelors or Associates degree in Network Administration now.
    Last edited by Gimlimeister; 04-21-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Then, like I said, continue to make dumb games, and have fun doing it! This is coming from someone who also enjoys making dumb games. I mean, I have a B.S. in game development, but I realized shortly after college that I really wanted game design to be my hobby and not my job.