+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VK is back

Default Re: VK is back

Vkhaun, my advice, less theory crafting more play crafting. I am of the opinion that GW2 was made to be a GAME with enjoyment and re-playability as the focus. Rather than a life decision with minimizing and maximizing to "win" and be the top E-Sports player. Although if GW2 did more to push esports with their tournaments in sPvP i feel they might draw in more business.

Vk, maybe try taking these build ideas to sPvP and see what you think. Instant L80 testing and all can be helpful to feel it out for the long term. I wish they had dueling, me and some friends would play around with builds a lot more in the mists.
    Last edited by Taolas; 02-04-2013 at 04:17 PM.

I'm not really about stats so much as playstyle. It has to look good and have a good setup of skills on low CD.

I am done with the alt phase. I love the warrior. I haven't tried a weapon with him that I didn't like yet, plus I like both banner and shout support builds in concept. Warrior is definitely my main. I like ground target stuff for some reason and wanted to do a tanky marks necro with the staff ever since I found out they actually do damage when triggered, but the animations were odd. Just tonight I tried it on a girl character and they looked much better. Necro is a done deal. I love the engineer, same story as the necro with lots of odd animations that I don't mind on a girl character. Engineer alt, no planned build, probably pass her lots of gold and respec a lot.

Thanks for telling me about the sword multi-hit on the thief. I wrote off all swords a long time ago because I hate how they hold the handle by the lower half. It looks so awkward. My sylvari model I was trying Pistol / Dagger on had huge hands and huge gloves are easy to find. With the giant right hand legacy glove skin the sword looks great. Lacking that multi-hit was the only thing making me hessitate.

Going to pass on the guardian and ranger. Don't like enough of their stuff to devote a character to it. I love the ele on paper, but I hate 9/10 of it's animations and move sets. Just going to leave my last character slot for any new class they may add, or maybe a new race that I might not hate as an elementalist.

4. Default Re: VK is back

I think you are missing out on the ranger, I am loving it with sword and torch, it is crazy frenetic melee and great combo fields with the leap skill2 and switching to short bow skill 1 through the fire field, add to that the heal spring and it rocks. It is my most fun alt. for groups I switch off hand to horn for the group buff call of the wild. I really like my warrior as well, but I think this ranger may become my main.

Edit: Started him as Norn but the animations looked awkward, switched to human and it was much better!
    Last edited by Random Havoc; 02-11-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day, To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

You should message one of us to join the cats guild brah

6. Default Re: VK is back

Where might I be sending said message?
    To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day, To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Random Havoc View Post
    Where might I be sending said message?
    I'm Zavon.8736

I'll probably be on later tonight. You can always message Taolas too. His name is like Pika or something like that. I think we have a sticky thread.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

/w quizzi or post one of your char names here

9. Default Re: VK is back

My main atm is Roaric Rathborn, but I am probably going to be starting an alt tonight, Violetta Exnihilo, going to dump my Guardian and re-roll a Elementalist, just can't play my guardian, my ranger ruined it for me.

My only advice on the ele is to unlock all your trident skills underwater ASAP and try them out. This is the least flexible aspect of the class and you don't want to lock yourself into a condition build if you hate the underwater condition attack, or a build that leans on a slot skill that can't be used underwater, or anything like that.

I think I made the ultimate melee warrior in the pvp testing grounds.
    *Start with GS to build adrenaline and fire off #2.
    *Switch to axe/mace for insane F1, vuln debuff on both axe and mace, and axe #1 probably does more damage than the GS #1 (but gs gives more vuln).
    *Trait faster weapon swapping (5 seconds?), so you can swap about as fast as Axe F1 takes to cd. GS #2 is also aligned with this 5 second per weapon set mindset.
    Hnngggaaahhh. Needs a little more testing, but I think this might be crazy.

Roll a guardian.
    Equip hammer.
    Take a nap on keyboard.
    Left cheek near buttons 1, 2, 3.
    Snore at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolas View Post
    I think I made the ultimate melee warrior in the pvp testing grounds.
    *Start with GS to build adrenaline and fire off #2.
    *Switch to axe/mace for insane F1, vuln debuff on both axe and mace, and axe #1 probably does more damage than the GS #1 (but gs gives more vuln).
    *Trait faster weapon swapping (5 seconds?), so you can swap about as fast as Axe F1 takes to cd. GS #2 is also aligned with this 5 second per weapon set mindset.
    Hnngggaaahhh. Needs a little more testing, but I think this might be crazy.
    Vulnerability doesn't seem worth it to me. I mean really, only 1% per stack? Then you have to do some degree of condition damage in your items, giving up some other stat, plus you probably lose as much damage doing greatsword's auto attack instead of Axe.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Vulnerability doesn't seem worth it to me. I mean really, only 1% per stack? Then you have to do some degree of condition damage in your items, giving up some other stat, plus you probably lose as much damage doing greatsword's auto attack instead of Axe.
    But its 1% for everyone attacking, per a stack as well.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

I think there's some misinformation here? Vulnerability has nothing to do with conditions. It only raises direct damage. Axe/mace vuln gives you an immediate 8% damage bonus, which is significant. The only reason I still do grenade Engi is because I can single handedly get to 25 stacks of vuln, which makes you do more damage than anything without those stacks. I don't understand your comment about the GS auto attack... however, you could probably rotate skills in a way to rarely use the GS auto. I mean GS #2 takes up 3.5 seconds of the 5 second window you're using GS.

But nope, nothing about that build relates to condition damage. Also, for crits + vuln we have roughly an equipment augmented crit damage of 2.25x base damage, then scale by 1.10x to 1.20x vuln = 2.475x to 2.7x base damage. Add might in and GS #2 does about 17k damage at 80.

I also played with it a little more, and one of the minor traits I had, but wasn't paying attention to, gives you adren on weapon swap. Very easy to build adren for axe F1 with the two swaps you do (after F1 to GS then back to Axe). Synergies everywhere.
    Last edited by Taolas; 02-13-2013 at 10:40 PM.

I meant condition duration.

I used to get crazy about synergy, but GW2 is full of synergy. You would have to try pretty damn hard to spend all your points and not have synergy between any two weapon sets. I just can't go along with giving up both weapon sets for nothing but melee synergy. Yes, axe pressure + greatsword spike is nice and I don't think you really have to make it about vulnerability to justify looking for that kind of damage output. I just think it makes the character a little too flat for GW2. I prefer to keep my weapon swap for utility or range.

17. Default Re: VK is back

Wow, you all are really into min/max every little bit of damage. I have never been into that, I guess that is why I am, and always will be, a scrub. I prefer to just play it and choose the things that seem fun and useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Havoc View Post
    Wow, you all are really into min/max every little bit of damage. I have never been into that, I guess that is why I am, and always will be, a scrub. I prefer to just play it and choose the things that seem fun and useful.
    Don't PVP then.

Generally it is fine. Eventually you get to some bosses that are just HP tanks and it's a straight DPS for 5 minutes thing. Worst is that the last dungeon I have to do has a DPS check, because the boss heals regularly.