+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VK is back

Default VK is back

Alright, so last time I stalled when I was having more fun on my greatsword warrior lowbie alt than on my main ele or engineer, and I hated both underwater which is a big deal because I love the water stuff. I came back to fool around, and found that I love the warrior underwater and the spear/greatsword is a combo in the offensive traits, and all the stuff I like on them works underwater.

I am back. I have a new main (VKhaun) who is a norn warrior.
    Greatsword / Spear

The trait paths will have me bumping into lots of stuff for bleed and I'm enjoying the rifle, so later I'll probably end up also able to use swords well without adjusting much at all, but that's a long way away still. Going to 100% the noobie zones before I plan much farther. Just happy I have a character with animations and move sets that I like.

Default Re: VK is back

Guesting nao!

My place or your place?

I know I'm probably totally alone in this, but I LOVE that I can make my character look like a badass at level one, and then not change his armor anymore. Just use the widget things you get as rewards to swap out stats and runes. I liquidated my previous characters and ended up with a nice little stack of silver and transmutation stones. Got myself decked out in my favorite gear from what I've seen online. Just need to hit 10 to put my helm on since I picked shoulders at the start.

Yeah, I too love the customization. My biggest gripe is that the game gets a little stale in solo play.

However, group is amazing.

Long way from this obviously, but I'm not sure what to do after 30 Arms.

I like greatsword / spear crit build, and it works fine for bleeds like the rifle. It's very easy to spend every further point on more damage but that will make me a rather narrow character. Thinking about the tactics line and doing a shout or two, or using a banner.

EDIT

Okay, progress... Read some guides. I like the mobility angle I have going with greatsword / spear. Adding bull charge and 20 discipline for Mobile Strikes to break immobilize whenever I use a movement skill.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 01-30-2013 at 08:36 PM.

You need to have 30, in the one that gives you toughness.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

I'm starting to agree.

I've got three synergies going here...
    Crit + Crit Damage + on crit effect stacking
    Mobility + Mobility preservation
    Toughness damage mitigation + Natural regen that can't be removed.
    (Not an actual 'Regeneration' boon, just passive HP recovery).

All of them basically come back to the toughness line. The first one leaves me with a giant hole where I need power, and the toughness line gives me a bonus to power equal to 5% of toughness. The second one has a problem with cripple and knockdown, which the toughness line gives me an automatic balanced stance reactive, and the toughness line triple stacks with regen by giving me a basic amount of the healing stat, mitigation, AND another health regen passive.

Doing 30 defense, getting HP and crit chance to acceptable levels, and then min/maxing for toughness first, power second.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIEQJAR...jzGpNLCGEcI4RA
    Last edited by VKhaun; 01-30-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Well, I was thinking toughness is good enough for its own sake, because you can always just stack +power to items.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Well, I was thinking toughness is good enough for its own sake, because you can always just stack +power to items.
    Very true. I'm sure I'll change my mind about this a hundred times between now and when I get to max level and I'm sure I'll use every weapon at some point, but I think doing 10 arms for the double crit procs (bleed/vulnerability) and then maxing toughness is a solid plan anything could build on.

Andile helped me get through my alt phase and my main survived as my main! Everything else I liked was debunked, bad at PvE/WvW so it's a RvB build, or the warrior does it better or in a way I like better. It's now official. I have an MMO where I only want to play one character!

This is my warrior trait build. I can do about 17k damage on hundred blades if most if it crits. I also do great damage when down scaled.
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIEQJAR...jzGpNLCGEcI4RA
    For better defense, people seem to prefer tactics/vitality, because the final trait is much more powerful. Usually shouts heal, but sometimes banner regen.

I'll probably roll up my final character, the Thief, soon. I have 2 characters at level 50 as well, so always ready to group up.
    Last edited by Taolas; 01-31-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Going to level with those cheesey power charge on kill stack runes and axe/horn or axe/shield.

After looking into thief I'm liking the synergy I have going with land and sea even more. I can do a passable bleed build with 70% duration from traits alone AND a greatsword/spear build stacking might. With bleed on crit plus damage vs bleeding targets, and a long duration on might which also does condition damage, the two mix excellently.

After playing Dark Souls so much I have a tendency to dodge roll everything the enemy telegraphs so I'll probably swap out the precision signet for the stamina regen one if it doesn't suck.

Worried about my crit chance though. If I'm stacking toughness to min/max levels and my runes are taken for regen and some token vitality, I need a source of crit chance. Maybe there's a precision/toughness armor set... I don't know. Long way to go though. Trying to stop myself from theory crafting too far ahead. Axe/Shield/healing signet with toughness gear and power charge on kill runes is good for now lol.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 01-31-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Yeah, you'll figure out what works as you go.
    Unless they fixed it, you can take the 'signets give you precision' trait at a low level and have around 100% crit chance. Doesn't do so well at 80, but I hear it's LoLzy in the lower levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolas View Post
    Yeah, you'll figure out what works as you go.
    Unless they fixed it, you can take the 'signets give you precision' trait at a low level and have around 100% crit chance. Doesn't do so well at 80, but I hear it's LoLzy in the lower levels.
    Good call.

I did noticed they actually took out the lv0 precision charge stack sigils. You have to be 39 to use one of those now. Maybe they weakened the signet stacking as well. But I had forgotten that they scale.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Andile helped me get through my alt phase and my main survived as my main! Everything else I liked was debunked, bad at PvE/WvW so it's a RvB build, or the warrior does it better or in a way I like better. It's now official. I have an MMO where I only want to play one character!
    I did what??

Good call. Warriors look like fun.

Think I'm going to take my thief to 80 next. Having an odd amount of fun with mine and looking at the traits, there are at least 4 neat looking builds I'd be interested in, which is great. Venom + group synergy, dps, stun/interrupt/blind master, etc. My only problem is low survivability.

Also, if anyone wants to go chest hunting, skritt burglar chasing, mini dungeon diving, or jumping, with guesting I'm always up for it. Doing it on a level 30-40 has a good chance of getting silver doubloons that sell for ~25 silver. 80's can get greens for the mystic forge and the rare rare.

Think I'm going to take my thief to 80 next. Having an odd amount of fun with mine and looking at the traits, there are at least 4 neat looking builds I'd be interested in, which is great. Venom + group synergy, dps, stun/interrupt/blind master, etc. My only problem is low survivability.

Also, if anyone wants to go chest hunting, skritt burglar chasing, mini dungeon diving, or jumping, with guesting I'm always up for it. Doing it on a level 30-40 has a good chance of getting silver doubloons that sell for ~25 silver. 80's can get greens for the mystic forge and the rare rare.
    I tried all the classes and their weapons all over again and I ended up with the same combo I just deleted, but swapped. VKhaun is a warrior and Veekz is an engineer now. which makes more sense to me anyway. The warrior is the main for sure. The engineer is gimicky and definitely an alt. The flame thrower is a neat build, but gets old. It's much better as a fru-fruy side character that I can pass money down to and play casual with OP stats and respec often.

The Thief is the only one that tripped me up vs the warrior. Pistol / Dagger was really, really fun to play. The first time I made my rounds trying everything out I passed up the thief quickly because it had no AoE on it's auto attacks like the warrior and guardian do, but I tried the short bow this time and it's a very generous chain hit on the auto attack that has no problem hitting enemies that are very spread out. I think I'm going to end up doing one at some point. Not sure if it'll be beside the warrior or after it. Both will pass cash down to the engi though, so I can do my crafting on it and make it even more of a spoiled twink character.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 02-02-2013 at 08:25 PM.

It's pretty easy to "twink" a character. Crafting something isn't much better than placing a buy order on the TP and waiting a little while; if there's a profitable difference people will craft it and fill a buy order, sometimes driving the orders lower than craft costs. Right now if you run a high level dungeon a few times, you should be set with money for sub-70 characters. I just buy masterwork everything off the TP every 10 levels... sometimes blues on fringe levels where gear gets more stat categories.

War/Engie is good. My first two 80's in the opposite order. You can do anything with a Warrior and feel good about it. Engie is a fun mix up. Like I was telling Zavon, it's not too hard to max a character and having at least one 80 is nice for doing stuff with, so don't worry too much about favorite class. As long as it's a fun class.

/edit The thief sword auto attack hits multiple enemies. Works well with signet of malice.
    Last edited by Taolas; 02-03-2013 at 02:27 AM.

FML - Every time I come to work and have down time I come up with an alt...

I was looking at the stats pairings tonight, and I see that the Ranger and Elementalist can actually damage people with a full tank build due to the inclusion of condition damage with their toughness lines. I've been looking at the Elementalist all night. There's a MOUNTAIN of synergy as a bleed stacker for damage and an attunement flipper for suport.

If Lingering Elements doesn't work with Rock Solid, I would just go 30/30/10 with extra condition removal when I apply regen, but I'm hoping it does. I would basically sit back with a staff and perma regen, stability, and protect all the ranged people around me while dropping area skills into the melee, alternating between stacking up weakness on the boss and doing AoE heals centering on him. If I get focused I could just stand there and give them the finger while my team easily placed template after template, and I spam myself with water and signet heals by shooting them with the staff auto. Then solo or skirmish with a dagger or really any choice of one hand weapons if needed. Regardless of what I'm doing, all the condition damage/duration and signet cooldown redux means signet of fire pretty much perma burns any one target in spell range.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEUQJAo...qmMNJay2krJZTA
    Last edited by VKhaun; 02-03-2013 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    FML - Every time I come to work and have down time I come up with an alt...
    This?

don't worry too much about favorite class. As long as it's a fun class.
    That.

Seriously.

wvw is zerg wars. Think mobility/control, survivability and some ranged damage and you will be good.

In my experience, toughness isn't all that great. I still need to test my warrior vs toughness guardian more, but so far I'm not seeing a big difference.
    The only good group-based condition character, imo, is Necromancer. They can use Epidemic to spread conditions and convert other people's conditions into using the Necro's condition damage. Anything else and you're fighting for very few condition damage slots with a group of people probably not spec'd for condition damage. My warrior drops an uncontrollable 4-6 bleed for example, and a lot of characters have burn. I don't think Anet has even acknowledged the problem yet. Awhile ago I saw people complain that they can't get a gold reward on a group event boss, because they can't do condition damage due to condition slots being filled.

Andile - Someone said they had a good experience with going full Soldiers gear + sharpening stone. It's a buff item that stacks with food and gives +power based off a 10% combination of vitality and toughness. I couldn't try it myself. How much vit/tough does an exotic soldiers geared character have?

In my experience, toughness isn't all that great. I still need to test my warrior vs toughness guardian more, but so far I'm not seeing a big difference.
    The only good group-based condition character, imo, is Necromancer. They can use Epidemic to spread conditions and convert other people's conditions into using the Necro's condition damage. Anything else and you're fighting for very few condition damage slots with a group of people probably not spec'd for condition damage. My warrior drops an uncontrollable 4-6 bleed for example, and a lot of characters have burn. I don't think Anet has even acknowledged the problem yet. Awhile ago I saw people complain that they can't get a gold reward on a group event boss, because they can't do condition damage due to condition slots being filled.
    Good to know...
    I hated the animations on Elementalist anyway though.

Just two more reasons to keep doing my warrior.

Didn't realize you couldn't re-stealth for 3 seconds after breaking it. RIP backstab thief?

Andile - Someone said they had a good experience with going full Soldiers gear + sharpening stone. It's a buff item that stacks with food and gives +power based off a 10% combination of vitality and toughness. I couldn't try it myself. How much vit/tough does an exotic soldiers geared character have?
    Ohh I'm gonna try that. I had heard of sharpening stone a while ago but had forgotten completely.

Funny you ask about the soldier set. I've *just* tweaked my main set to make it a full (armor and accessories) soldiers in the last couple of days. All with ruby orbs. Weapons remain berserker with fire runes. I'm still keeping the magi set (and completed it as well) as a secondary. I want to try a few more combos while the laurels build up and before I start getting ascended accessories.

My tough and vit with this new set come to 1.7k each but that also includes 0.3k from valor and honor. That's about 2.9k armor and 18.6k life.

Tonight's FML alt.

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=...G6Rk06Rk065BFd

Actually started out looking at glass cannons to see what people got as a fourth stat with power, crit damage, and precision, but when I saw the synergy with blocking and burning for the guardian I was like "A condition damage is fine, too...". The crit damage comes from the toughness line, then the crit damage gear from berserkers adds a bit of vitality. Obviously it's no tank, but with all the minor defenses and blocks it doesn't look quite like a glass cannon either. Obviously there are issues in groups with burning, but it doesn't really lean on the burning that's just something extra. Greatsword on the back could also be a hammer. Spear move set is compatible with the build.

I hate the animations on about 9/10 elementalist abilities. With no weapon swap and builds strongly encouraging multiple elements my vanity pretty much takes the class off the table, even though I like several different combos on paper. Going to reroll my elementalist to a guardian tonight and see if I like the animations of sword/focus.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 02-04-2013 at 06:31 AM.