+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Microsoft unveils "Xbox One".

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

What do you think?

I'm actually considering not buying one. If Xbox Live is the same old peer to peer bullshit then what good will it do me lol?
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Overseeing a mass of self-replicating organic matter.

Default Re: Microsoft unveils "Xbox One".

Hmm... honestly really surprised at the aesthetic choices, controller looks clunky though I suppose you have to hold it before you really know. I've been considering getting back into the console market, waiting to see what PS4 has to offer. The Xbox One seems like an obligatory movement forward due to market forces, rather than any sort of innovative or revolutionary system.

Read the Kotaku live blog of the unveiling on my lunch break. All I'll say is that I was going to skip the next console generation. Now I might not.

I've actually been following the news for console development (albeit sporadically) since I got back into console gaming. From what I've gathered, Xbox is trying to be the new home entertainment system, one system to rule them all with hands free motion sensing technology. Great idea, but they pack these extra features at the cost of hardware power. The PS4 is going the opposite route and focusing on solely being a gaming platform with extras. It seems the PS4 will be the more powerful system from a purely traditional (ie, controller based) video gaming perspective.

Frankly, that's all I really want anyway. Having access/owning all the current consoles I prefer the PS3 to the Xbox 360 hands down. I have no plans to buy the "One", but I'll be getting the PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by Norska View Post
    I've actually been following the news for console development (albeit sporadically) since I got back into console gaming. From what I've gathered, Xbox is trying to be the new home entertainment system, one system to rule them all with hands free motion sensing technology. Great idea, but they pack these extra features at the cost of hardware power. The PS4 is going the opposite route and focusing on solely being a gaming platform with extras. It seems the PS4 will be the more powerful system from a purely traditional (ie, controller based) video gaming perspective.

Frankly, that's all I really want anyway. Having access/owning all the current consoles I prefer the PS3 to the Xbox 360 hands down. I have no plans to buy the "One", but I'll be getting the PS4.
    Probably what I'll do if I even buy a new gen console. I'm sick of having to sort through all the NetFlix/Bing/yada/yada/yada bullshit on my Xbox dashboard anyway. There's not a single "extra" thing the xbox does that something else doesn't do better. All it amounts too is clutter for me.

If the Playstation 4 is going to focus on doing gaming then I'll probably just go with it over the Xbox One. The only console game I multiplayer now days anyway is Call of Duty and I didn't even bother to get the last Gears of War game so............
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

I can't stand a sub fee to play online multiplayer. Also, there are rumors that Microsoft will charge you for playing a used game, and I rent most of my games. I think the PS3 ultimately had better games than the 360... but I never bought the PS3.

In all likelihood I'll just get a PS4 asap. I'll avoid any more xbox conoles.

Does the 360 have any exclusives that are worth buying? No? skipping this.

"Blue Moon is for fags" - DJive

Quote Originally Posted by dr.wang View Post
    Does the 360 have any exclusives that are worth buying? No? skipping this.
    Exactly. In the past Halo and Gears of War would have been worth owning a 360. But Gears of War is beginning to look like an EA sports franchise and there's not a whole helluva lot they can do with Halo anymore except try to impress us with Cortanas digital tits.

Sony stock prices have supposedly skyrocketed because of this.

Having seen the "Xbox Infinity" concept that was floating around, it couldn't really have been further removed from the reality of "Xbox One".
    It's going to be a fine day tomorrow. We will have salad...

I actually got mad when I first heard about the details.

First, the look. It's ugly, end of story. The controllers look fine, but the console is a doorstop. What is with this obsession in making consoles look like monoliths? You're not convincing me that your console looks cool. You're convincing me that it looks like a black brick.

Second, this focus on entertainment is bullshit gloss to distinguish it from the new playstation and to try to appeal to that wider demographic that the Wii did back in 06. It was stupid for a console back then and it's stupid now. If I want to watch TV, I don't need to watch it through the console. I'll just turn on the fucking TV and watch. Oh wow. Instead of being forced to push a button to turn on my tv like on the PS3, now all I have to do is say "xbox on". You've totally sold me there.

While this got me mad, it isn't very surprising as they're already said that they didn't just want to make another game console and that it was more of a media hub. However, it definitely succeeds in that regard. I found the presentation to be quite impressive compared to past presentations of motion-capturing designs for consoles like the move and the wii-mote. But this isn't supposed to be a media hub, it's supposed to be a video game console. So what we're left with are three options.

1) They're planning on pulling a PS2/PS3 and take a big hit on every system sold with an expensive to make console that everyone buys hoping that the technology becomes optimized quickly and drops in price.
    2) The console is going to be extremely expensive to balance the cost of all these addons with the cost of making a gaming console that can compete with the PS4.
    3) The gaming aspect of the system is going to be lacking and they're banking on the system attracting people for convenience.

If it's 1, cool. If it's 2, I might be able to deal with that. If it's 3, I'm out.

In conclusion: stop trying to promise the world and just deliver a next-gen console.

789+321 963+147 869+241 145+965 159+951 754+356 167+943 831+279
    456+654 478+632 623+487 174+936 753+357 152+958 729+381 268+842
    123+987 896+214 421+689 396+714 758+352 746+364 183+927 426+684
    741+369 632+476 985+125 312+798 956+154 128+982 796+394 127+983
    258+852 487+623 325+785 132+978 352+758 349+761 138+792 143+967

I read something that says you need to buy an add-on to get the TV stuff. That part of it is basically an interface to control a TV box. So confusing. If they could somehow offer all the shows I wanted (like dexter), DVR features, and at a price cheaper than my cable company, then I might consider it. I doubt that's possible.

I'm very intrigued by some of the features announced yesterday. I've been waiting for voice control of my electronic devices since I was a boy watching Star Trek. I'm also over spending $500+ on a box that can only do one thing: play video games. I don't play video games all that often anymore, usually Saturday morning or a 30 minute session here and there after work. Most games that have come out in the past few years have either 1) looked like shit from the get-go (see Black Ops 2), or 2) wound-up being shit (see AC3). At most there are three titles in any given year that I'm interested in playing; and Steam has been kicking XBLA's ass on the indie market, imho. Seriously, I look at my Xbox 360 now -- which hasn't been turned on since February -- and think "well, that was $250 well spent."

I'm very happy that the new Xbox will be an entertainment hub as I no longer want a separate cable box/DVR, bluray player, and Roku/Apple TV. Of course, I have those things now (except the Roku/Apple TV); but the DVR/cable can be sent back to the cable company, and the bluray player given to family/friends or the local library. I guess what I'm saying is that just one set of cables will do, thank you very much. And it's not like the last generation stuck to the "do one thing well instead of five things half-assed" ethos. I dunno, to me, being frustrated/upset/angry that future consoles are going to integrate other forms of media is like being pissed-off that cars have cup holders, iPod docks, and GPS; or being like one of those people that hate smartphones. It smacks of a weird brand of pseudo-Luddism and run-of-the-mill gamer-elitism. The latter being about the saddest form of elitism there is, imho.

My decision will ultimately come down to the price point and just how well the system works under real world conditions. Like, SmartGlass right now is pretty fucking useless. I'm not a fan of the Kinect, although I am a fan of where that technology could go. But am I going to fall in to a burning ring of fire an hour into my first CoD marathon? This is where my brother will come in nicely as I know that as both a fanboy and an IT guy he's already got a raging hard-on for the system.

More likely than not, though, I'm sticking with my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bragi View Post
    I'm very intrigued by some of the features announced yesterday. I've been waiting for voice control of my electronic devices since I was a boy watching Star Trek. I'm also over spending $500+ on a box that can only do one thing: play video games. I don't play video games all that often anymore, usually Saturday morning or a 30 minute session here and there after work. Most games that have come out in the past few years have either 1) looked like shit from the get-go (see Black Ops 2), or 2) wound-up being shit (see AC3). At most there are three titles in any given year that I'm interested in playing; and Steam has been kicking XBLA's ass on the indie market, imho. Seriously, I look at my Xbox 360 now -- which hasn't been turned on since February -- and think "well, that was $250 well spent."

I'm very happy that the new Xbox will be an entertainment hub as I no longer want a separate cable box/DVR, bluray player, and Roku/Apple TV. Of course, I have those things now (except the Roku/Apple TV); but the DVR/cable can be sent back to the cable company, and the bluray player given to family/friends or the local library. I guess what I'm saying is that just one set of cables will do, thank you very much. And it's not like the last generation stuck to the "do one thing well instead of five things half-assed" ethos. I dunno, to me, being frustrated/upset/angry that future consoles are going to integrate other forms of media is like being pissed-off that cars have cup holders, iPod docks, and GPS; or being like one of those people that hate smartphones. It smacks of a weird brand of pseudo-Luddism and run-of-the-mill gamer-elitism. The latter being about the saddest form of elitism there is, imho.

My decision will ultimately come down to the price point and just how well the system works under real world conditions. Like, SmartGlass right now is pretty fucking useless. I'm not a fan of the Kinect, although I am a fan of where that technology could go. But am I going to fall in to a burning ring of fire an hour into my first CoD marathon? This is where my brother will come in nicely as I know that as both a fanboy and an IT guy he's already got a raging hard-on for the system.

More likely than not, though, I'm sticking with my PC.
    The question is not whether it would be nice to have less cables or remotes. The question is will ONE thing be able to deliver what you would get from all these components? If you're going to use your Xbox One as a DVR and Gaming console does that mean you have a DVR with 500 gigs and a gaming console with 500 gigs? NO. It means you have a DVR with 250 gigs and a gaming console with 250 gigs. (which is just what the 360 had lol). Is using my Xbox One as a Blu-Ray player going to give me all the features/options that a Samsung Blu-Ray player does? Because My xbox 360 wasn't as good for regular dvds as my blu-ray player was.

Plus there's durability. Did they put an uber goober blu-ray drive and other components in this thing? Is it ready to take on 40 hours of gaming per week PLUS 80 ours of tv a week PLUS 20 hours of blu-ray watching per week plus 20 hours of web surfing for a week? Shit my elite couldn't even handle just being a gaming console without getting the red ring of death. Do you want your cable box, DVR, blu-ray player and gaming console to be out for 4-6 weeks while it's in being repaired for the new version of the red ring of death?

If you try to put a hammer and a screw driver and a saw and drill all on the same handle eventually they're going to get into each others way. I'm already annoyed by my xbox 360 just because I have to sort through too much crap to simply check game downloads/ xpacks.

If this think doesn't cost as much as a gaming console plus a blu-ray player plus a cable box plus a small/cheap laptop then they cut corners somewhere to make it happen. You can't tell me that Microsoft can piece together all these components using equal quality components that Sony/Samsung/Hitachi/etc can mass produce individually.
    Last edited by Sillywilly; 05-22-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Is it ready to take on 40 hours of gaming per week PLUS 80 ours of tv a week PLUS 20 hours of blu-ray watching per week? Shit my elite couldn't even handle just being a gaming console without getting the red ring of death. Do you want your cable box, DVR, blu-ray player and gaming console to be out for 4-6 weeks while it's in being repaired for the new version of the red ring of death?
    I know what you're saying; but mine wouldn't get anywhere near that level of use. Well, possibly the TV/Netflix watching. But my gaming time per week is somewhere in the 5-10 hours range, depending on if I'm playing Skyrim or not. That's the only game atm that can keep my butt in a seat for more than 30-60 minutes at a time.

All of the above is why I'm waiting to see how it performs under real world conditions. Is the Netflix app going to work like it does on the 360, i.e., give me search, suggestions, and my queue? Or will it work like my Samsung bluray, which only gives me my queue? Will SmartGlass function as it should, i.e., as a true universal remote? Or will it just give me a shitty DVD remote and annoying ads for games I don't want? What options will there be for additional storage; and what's the price point going to be there (because I know I can't just go to Fry's and buy a USB Buffalo-or-whatever drive)? How exactly will I be able to watch television on it? Despite what I said in my previous post, I'm betting that I'll still need a cable box, or at the very least, a cable subscription, because the majority of options to view TV content will probably be along the lines of HBO Go. Or maybe it'll be season passes to individual shows, ala iTunes? Well fuck, now I've lost integration with my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook (although the iPad technically belongs to my employers).

Anyway, I've had two 360s -- the original run (pre-HDMI) and the one with the new chasis. The only problems I've ever had with either of them were account issues: inability to log into my XBL account due to server clusterfuckery, and a stolen identity due to shitty security on MS' end and douchebaggery on the thief's end. (The faggot charged $500 on my credit card and spent it all on FIFA 12 and FIFA-related DLC -- I could give a shit about the money, it's the fact that he spent it all on soccer that makes me want to rip his head off and shit down his neck.) Meanwhile, my buddy's PS3 has been bricked twice. So I'm not really all that worried about hardware. What I'm most curious to see is if MS can pull it all off, and what that will mean for the next generation of consoles in... what... about 2020? Fuck. I'll be almost 40...
    Last edited by Bragi; 05-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.

There are three main questions that will hopefully all be answered at E3 which will likely determine whether it's going to be superior to the PS4.

1) The price
    2) The focus on gaming with regard to system specs and their strategy for development.
    3) A list of launch titles, both exclusive and non-exclusive, and hopefully some insight into 2014's list of titles as well.

It does worry me how much time they spent showing off Call of Duty: Ghost; a game which was already previously revealed and isn't an exclusive. Perhaps they wanted to hold off on making any big splash gaming-wise until E3. Either way, it's a concern.

Overseeing a mass of self-replicating organic matter.

This is the best. Note the location of the Sun. Note the angle of the Sun's light shafts to the player's left. I just pray there's some sort of giant light-focusing tower that the player is working on blowing up or something, cause that shit is just plain impossible.

Dunno if y'all read Slate; but I thought I'd bring this article to everyone's attention: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...sed_games.html

Dunno if y'all read Slate; but I thought I'd bring this article to everyone's attention: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...sed_games.html
    All good points. Greed may kill the console market. Anyone else check out that link to the OUYA console? Pretty interesting.

19. Default Re: Microsoft unveils "Xbox One".

I'm actually considering not buying one. If Xbox Live is the same old peer to peer bullshit then what good will it do me lol?
    I read on reddit that the expansion of Live to 300,000 servers includes room for dedicated servers for multi-player games. My concern with XBO is the three operating systems taking a HUGE chunk of the resources that developers have available for games, MS contends that by the time this matters the ‘off system’ resources will make up for it.

I just think PS4 is the better GAMMING system this time around, while XBO maybe the better Entertainment system, I will probably end up owning both of them in all likelyhood.
    To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day, To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    Greed may kill the console market.
    You ain't lyin'.

I just think PS4 is the better [GAMING] system this time around, while XBO maybe the better Entertainment system
    Agreed.

Too invasive of personal space. The kinect is always on recording what you say in your living room, with all the other stuff it can do you give Microsoft, their partners, LEA, and random hackers too much access to your living room unless you install a stateful firewall. I don't want to have to worry about a console spying on me, it's bad enough already without that. http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/m...-might-tailor/

Advertisers don't need to know, "Marou looks hungry and was arguing with Aeinna, I will show him burger king and marriage counseling commercials." I'm sure most won't mind, and will even get stuff like Google Glass, the ultimate privacy ender, but fuck all that sort of thing as far as I'm concerned.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

All good points. Greed may kill the console market. Anyone else check out that link to the OUYA console? Pretty interesting.
    As long as they continue to release call of duty games on consoles, they will never die. I've been waiting for OUYA, but I'm also worried about the quality control of games that are developed for it.

Aaaaaaaaaaand go fuck yourselves, Microsoft.

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-just-...-day-511766497

Aaaaaaaaaaand go fuck yourselves, Microsoft.

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-just-...-day-511766497
    Wow, agreed. That is some shit right there.

Wow, agreed. That is some shit right there.
    Yep, sealed the deal for me. Won't be getting that garbage. When the fuck are the gaming "giants" going to stop doing shit like this (e.g. Diablo III online only)?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire