+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: WoW Free and Overwatch Free Beta

I think part of the reason Mei is so strong is she stops you turning. If you were just rooted and could face her to shoot her it'd be fine, but if you don't kill her immediately, you're basically helpless.

Anyway, I'm slightly concerned how long it's taking me to find matches already. At the beginning of open beta I was basically playing the entire time, but now I'm lucky if I get one or two matches before it kicks me back to the main menu to find a new game.
    It's going to be a fine day tomorrow. We will have salad...

Eh, visually Battleborn is a mess and it's a Gearbox project. I dislike giving that company money. I think the MOBA space is too crowded for yet another one to really reach critical potential, and we've seen with Monday Night Combat and Super MNC that the MOBA-shooter doesn't attract people for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ero Elohim View Post
    Eh, visually Battleborn is a mess and it's a Gearbox project. I dislike giving that company money. I think the MOBA space is too crowded for yet another one to really reach critical potential, and we've seen with Monday Night Combat and Super MNC that the MOBA-shooter doesn't attract people for some reason.
    Playing it more and more it's almost like "Borderlands:Battle Arena". The PvE is reminiscent of Borderlands and the PvP is what I wish Borderlands PvP was like. I don't mind the visuals, as I really like the gunplay on a lot of the 'heroes'.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad game, just something about it doesn't hold my interest. Even a good game is ignorable if you aren't in the mood for its style.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad game, just something about it doesn't hold my interest. Even a good game is ignorable if you aren't in the mood for its style.
    Me in a nuttshell with MMORPG's since... 2010?
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

I did something stupid and bothered to download this entire bitch just to play it some today. Overwatch is gay as fuck. It's everything that is wrong with the gaming industry today. There's no flat out learning curve and skills to be mastered. It's rock/paper/scissors on many levels, it's "you got owned by a once every 5 minutes uber ability" type shit fest so that the slow and uncoordinated aspergers kids are guaranteed a couple of kills per match. There's too many abilities that aid others in fucking up any strategy you would use to overcome rock/paper/scissors. (Such as trying to sneak around and flank someone only to get shit on because one of their teammates had popped x-ray vision), etc. It's a butt fucking crap fest. And it just wasn't interesting to boot, nothing about it grabbed me at all. I also don't know if some of those classes are severely overpowered or if people are already exploiting the shit out of the game but apparently there's a "cowboy" class with an alt-fire that you don't even have to put your fucking reticle on people to kill them with it.

In my opinion it's just another chaotic game meant to allow every moron get a free kill now and then so they don't feel like a fuktard while playing. Kinda like the direction all the more recent Call of Duty games have gone.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Been some interesting reads in all of this. There seems to be a big market for this sort of game but just doesn't do it for me. The only shooter I really liked was Delta Force Black Hawk Down, I played that for a year and a bit and have never been lured back to shooters again.

I don't really like the idea of what amount to character classes for a shooter either, it takes away the idea of skill based game where everyone has the same resources to choose from.
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

The thing is, Overwatch is a team oriented game. If you don't have friends to play it with (like me) then the experience is terrible. In order for this game to be legit fun you have to use the voice thing, and be able to coordiante shit. I just solo q'd and got raped because my team mates were always tardin' it up. I don't need that shit.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    I did something stupid and bothered to download this entire bitch just to play it some today. Overwatch is gay as fuck. It's everything that is wrong with the gaming industry today. There's no flat out learning curve and skills to be mastered. It's rock/paper/scissors on many levels, it's "you got owned by a once every 5 minutes uber ability" type shit fest so that the slow and uncoordinated aspergers kids are guaranteed a couple of kills per match. There's too many abilities that aid others in fucking up any strategy you would use to overcome rock/paper/scissors. (Such as trying to sneak around and flank someone only to get shit on because one of their teammates had popped x-ray vision), etc. It's a butt fucking crap fest. And it just wasn't interesting to boot, nothing about it grabbed me at all. I also don't know if some of those classes are severely overpowered or if people are already exploiting the shit out of the game but apparently there's a "cowboy" class with an alt-fire that you don't even have to put your fucking reticle on people to kill them with it.

In my opinion it's just another chaotic game meant to allow every moron get a free kill now and then so they don't feel like a fuktard while playing. Kinda like the direction all the more recent Call of Duty games have gone.
    Silly once again confirming he's bad at games and his opinion shouldn't be considered.

Silly once again confirming he's bad at games and his opinion shouldn't be considered.
    Whatever gay boy. You can't tell me that a shooter with "classes" like support, tank, offensive and defensive isn't rock paper scissors oriented. Shit that's everything that's wrong with MMO PvP right there in a fucking shooter. Shooters being popular because everyone is supposedly on equal footing for the most part. Not true with classes even if they intend it to be balanced you can never get them equal. You also can't tell me that these super abilities aren't free kills or WORSE. I dare you to debunk those observations.

That aside, Zavon is probably right, it's meant to be more of a dedicated team based game which in my opinion is a bad idea for FPS. However that idea is based on the fact that I've only every played FPS using "quick play", the amount of time I've actually coordinated with friends is minimal compared to the amount of time I've spend running around solo or with only 1 friend. That may not be true for most people, I can't confirm or deny that.
    Last edited by Sillywilly; 05-10-2016 at 05:56 PM.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Battlefield, Planetside, and Team Fortress had classes involved in first-person shooters as far back as 2002, 2003, and 1996; respectively. Your issue seems to be that you had a preconception going in, then you called it "fucking gay" when it wasn't what you expected, and came up with a list of reasons to trash it so you could feel superior.

Battlefield, Planetside, and Team Fortress had classes involved in first-person shooters as far back as 2002, 2003, and 1996; respectively. Your issue seems to be that you had a preconception going in, then you called it "fucking gay" when it wasn't what you expected, and came up with a list of reasons to trash it so you could feel superior.
    That's aspergers bullshit, you getting all butt hurt because I trashed a game you like and coming up with an excuse to direct your butthurt at me lol. Battlefield "classes" are no where near as classy, er classified, class lik... fuck it you know what I mean, as the shit going on in Overwatch. I did have a preconception going in, that the game might be good. But it wasn't. It's a mix of a few games and the worst of them for a FPS. It's Borderlands classes which would be great but it's not an RPG it's an arena FPS. It's a slowed down Unreal Tournament style game play but it's got classes so the twitch/skill element in Unreal Tournament isn't as effective. Which is what FPS are all about. It's why the biggest sellers, like Halo and CoD all boil down mostly to aim and reflexes. Not cool downs, counter skills and other RPG bullshit. Bullshit that is perfectly fine, in fact fun in an RPG like Borderlands but not good in arena. Yes I get it, it's a teams game. How many people are loser enough to run with a dedicated team the majority of the time they're online? Very few. 95% of the players will probably be playing in pugs in the Quick play list. So how well is it going to go over losing match after match because you don't have anyone playing a tank to push the damn car from point A to point B?

Blah blah blah. I could go on and on. Saying I don't like it only because I went in with expectations is just autistic bullshit where you can't comprehend someone not liking something you do so you gotta create a damn conspiracy about how their SUBJECTIVE opinion is incorrect because of their "expectations" lol.

And mark my word, this class system shit will destroy the game. They will never be balanced, there will always be some class with some glitch/exploit/bug/overpowered combo that will be flavor of the month but because it's an arena FPS everyone will flock to that overpowered class even more than they do in an MMORPG. So not only will there be a shit ton of the FotM classes but team play in general will suffer because more of one particular class will mean less of a class that's needed to complete objectives.
    Last edited by Sillywilly; 05-10-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Have you never played TF2, Silly? The gameplay's nigh-identical.

Sillywilly must be on a steroid binge again.

I played the Beta this past weekend and it was better than I expected. My personal favorites in each role were: Soldier 76, Widowmaker, Zarya, and Lucio.

Also, hi everyone.

Long time no see. I like that idea. Reaper, Widowmaker, D.Va/Zarya, Mercy.

I tried a fair bit of Lucio and never felt like he was healing enough when it mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziel View Post
    I tried a fair bit of Lucio and never felt like he was healing enough when it mattered.
    Yeah his AoE healing definitely needs the team to understand that he can't burst heal, so I will adjust to Mercy who is my second favorite support if the other team is too bursty. Empowering his healing with his E is as good as it gets, as well as using his ult, but I felt that his ult charged way too slow compared to others in the game. I'd say Mercy's charges about x1.5 times faster, and is arguably easier to pull off / more impactful. Also Mercy's gun does more damage than people realize.

On the heels of an incredibly successful beta, Blizzard anticipates that a lot of players will pick up Overwatch at its May 24 launch. And, as with any popular game, there will be plenty of people who want to cheat. Possibly to preempt that, Blizzard has some advice for those folks: Don't even try.

http://www.destructoid.com/blizzard-...ors_picks=true
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    On the heels of an incredibly successful beta, Blizzard anticipates that a lot of players will pick up Overwatch at its May 24 launch. And, as with any popular game, there will be plenty of people who want to cheat. Possibly to preempt that, Blizzard has some advice for those folks: Don't even try.

If they actively go through with that I might end up getting the game one day like it or not just to throw them some cash. I could piss around on it and try to be an aggravation to the opposing team if nothing else. DAMN I'm tired of developers turning a blind eye to cheating. In CoD on the freaking Xbox you can go into spectator mode or watch the game in the theater and see people choosing shit like god mode, auto kill etc from a freaking menu. ON A CONSOLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post

Once again... Blizzard makes a "meh" game and does everything right on the back end so it's going to shit all over other, better games. Why can't developers learn this shit? Does it really take a company of that size to take cheats seriously or offer free trials?
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Once again... Blizzard makes a "meh" game and does everything right on the back end so it's going to shit all over other, better games. Why can't developers learn this shit? Does it really take a company of that size to take cheats seriously or offer free trials?
    It ain't just that man. I didn't care for the experience of the game, but it was no doubt well made. That shit ran like butter on my 5 year old machine. I wanted to know the story and lore for every character. The environments were even some of the best I'd ever experienced in a shooter. The only thing that stops me from purchasing the game is that I just fundamentally don't like group pvp without a group. Blizzard has a problem because they are expected to be excellent.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

I half want to get the game just to run nothing but gimmick builds with a few friends. 6x Zenyatta, 3 mercy / 3 rockets, 3 Rein / 3 Turrets, 2-3 Roadhog + Reaper/Junkrat/McCree/ or Mei. Win or lose it'd be quite entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolas View Post
    I half want to get the game just to run nothing but gimmick builds with a few friends. 6x Zenyatta, 3 mercy / 3 rockets, 3 Rein / 3 Turrets, 2-3 Roadhog + Reaper/Junkrat/McCree/ or Mei. Win or lose it'd be quite entertaining.
    Some randoms and I organically started doing that during the beta weekend. The first person to pick a hero would dictate what the other five did. Six Meis or Hanzos don't work at all, but six Junkrats put up a surprisingly decent game.

I kinda hope we see that combined with some other crazy rules for the Weekly Brawl. The beta demo of the feature was a bit lacking. Random characters on death is one of those modes that sound really funny and chaotic on paper, but in practice it just means one team eventually randoms into a powerful combo that you can't counter. Case in point: the one match where the gate opened and the enemy team had randomed two Reinhardts, a Bastion, and Mercy.