+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: The Trump Presidency

Right... I'm sure he was fired over the Clinton email fuck up...

Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    Right... I'm sure he was fired over the Clinton email fuck up...
    He should have been back in November, guy is is a total sleazeball. Watching leftists suddenly love Comey after trashing him all last year is hilarious. These people are shamefully moronic.

"The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Oh shit... this is huge, how did I miss this?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

"The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Saudis paid for US veteran trips against 9/11 lawsuit law
    https://apnews.com/915af031fef347899...&utm_medium=AP

Think we'll see a reaction?
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

The craziest thing about Comey being fired is that it didn't leak to the FBI or the press until the day it happened. Which shows that Trump has a secure channel setup to start taking some action.

Default Re: 1 Week of Trump

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d2831cd4565a

So Sessions just brought back private prisons.

I thought the issue before was about conflict of interest though, not the stuff mentioned in the article. The potential for kickbacks and incentives -official or under the table- to send people to prison makes my skin crawl.
    I'm now seeing headlines about returning to minimum mandatory sentences for drug offenses including mere possession.

Stupid laws, horrible outcomes, totally unnecessary, easily and readily abused by the courts, wholly ineffective and ultimately counter productive when you create a million extra father-figureless homes raising the next generation of young men. I swear if he takes one penny from a private prison I'd vote Trump shoot him on the white house lawn for treason.

One could argue more prisons are required if Sessions truly believes in the policy and doesn't take kickbacks, but the policy can go to hell and he can ride it all the way down so fuck that one and their stupid argument.

/triggered.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 05-13-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

I'm now seeing headlines about returning to minimum mandatory sentences for drug offenses including mere possession.

Stupid laws, horrible outcomes, totally unnecessary, easily and readily abused by the courts, wholly ineffective and ultimately counter productive when you create a million extra father-figureless homes raising the next generation of young men. I swear if he takes one penny from a private prison I'd vote Trump shoot him on the white house lawn for treason.

One could argue more prisons are required if Sessions truly believes in the policy and doesn't take kickbacks, but the policy can go to hell and he can ride it all the way down so fuck that one and their stupid argument.

/triggered.
    For all I know the intention here is to contract private facilities to hold people for deportations, this is WAPO, one of the premier members of the Lügenpresse - I can't expect to find much truth in any of their content. eg. I'm not able to conjure outrage based on anything said by WAPO or NYT - they peddle blatant lies too often. I'll wait and see if something dubious occurs, then I'll get angry.

/triggered.
    So instead of being in a single parent home they're gonna be in a dual parent home with a drug user?
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

/triggered.
    You do know that the federal government doesn't generally arrest people for "mere" possession of a substance, right? Simple possession charges are almost always going to be at the state level-- which this memo has nothing to do with. The federal government doesn't "do" low level crime... They go after the big shit.

Also, Sessions has stated that the intent was the take off the leash of the Obama legacy for AGs. He said something along the lines of, "AG's now have the discretion to avoid injustice as they see fit".
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    So instead of being in a single parent home they're gonna be in a dual parent home with a drug user?
    Is there an echo in here?

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    You do know that the federal government doesn't generally arrest people for "mere" possession of a substance, right? Simple possession charges are almost always going to be at the state level-- which this memo has nothing to do with. The federal government doesn't "do" low level crime... They go after the big shit.
    I don't understand why that matters. Are you asserting that state police and county police won't arrest you for possession? Or that you won't be prosecuted? The donkey politely and humbly asks for clarification.

Also, Sessions has stated that the intent was the take off the leash of the Obama legacy for AGs. He said something along the lines of, "AG's now have the discretion to avoid injustice as they see fit".
    Right... but isn't that exactly where all the injustice comes from? >.>
    This sure looks like the bitch needs a leash to me.

Last edited by VKhaun; 05-13-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Is there an echo in here?

I don't understand why that matters. Are you asserting that state police and county police won't arrest you for possession? Or that you won't be prosecuted? The donkey politely and humbly asks for clarification.

Right... but isn't that exactly where all the injustice comes from? >.>
    This sure looks like the bitch needs a leash to me.

Ok, I'll use your own chart to explain what I mean and tell you my intent. You are upset and worried about Sessions because you think it is going to lead to horrible outcomes. I am trying to assuage you of that fear, on the basis that the numbers and scale are not as alarming as you think. According to your chart there are roughly around 150,000 people being detained in federal prisons. In the United States, there are 2.25 MILLION people in prison. That is roughly about 6% of people that are getting sentenced of a crime. So, even if this is a worse case scenario, the directive that has gone out to US Attorneys is only going to effect approximately less than 6% of people getting arrested. The Attorney General does not tell state, or local District Attorneys how they have to bargain.

Now, let's continue on to scale. You were worried about mere possession of a drug. The only federal agency that will realistically charge you for possesion of a drug, is the DEA. Admittedly, maybe Border Patrol will do the same thing, but I'm assuming your cause for concern is for what is happening here in the US. Looking at this data https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fjs10.pdf You can see that the DEA on average arrests about 12,500 people a year. My point simplified: Even if Sessions tells all the US Attorneys in the US to give the maximum amount of federal juice possible to anyone caught in "mere possession" of an illegal drug, we are looking at less than 12,500 people (but I am more inclined to believe less than a thousand, because federal agencies don't waste time and resources on stupid shit) that would have to spend a year in prison (for a first time offense).

Alright, now that I've attempted to calm you by showing you that it is not a sort of pandemic problem for black mothers everywhere, let's get to the intent.

Eric Holder had a policy of "not charging" nonviolent drug offenders that were arrested. Sessions, in response to the former administrations policy stated, "Charging and sentencing recommendations are bedrock responsibilities of any prosecutor. And I trust our prosecutors in the field to make good judgments," Sessions said. "They deserve to be unhandcuffed and not micromanaged from Washington." I believe his intent here to mean: It is the job of the prosecution to not let people go. Laws are of no consequence if we do not enforce them. If you choose not to charge someone, you are doing it at your own discretion.
    Furthermore, Sessions stated this, "But in his speech Friday, Sessions asserted that the policy change is aimed not at low-level drug users, but rather drug dealers and traffickers. "If you are a drug trafficker," he said, "we will not look the other way. We will not be willfully blind to your misconduct."

--------

TLDR: This directive doesn't effect many people at all, and is aimed at drug traffickers not drug-users.

-------

Now, practically speaking, why is this a good thing? Why do we want (maybe) a few thousand shitheads with weed spending a year in prison for a first time offense? The DEA largely works by running an extended social engineering game. They are only focused on going after the big fish. How do you net a big fish? With bait. Imagine you are a DEA agent that scooped up some low level dickhead that you know works for a local drug trafficker. You tell him, give up your boss and I'll cut you a deal, you can go free. He is now face a mandatory year in prison for a small amount of weed. Before Sessions? He knew you couldn't charge him with shit. He knew that the US Attorney would kick the charge out instantly. This is what Sessions means when he says that prosecution is no longer, "handcuffed".

Edit: Before you accuse me of fudging the numbers: I tried to find a direct number of arrests for last year by the federal government for low level drug possession. I was unable to find it. This is the reason I used the DEA stats... But even if you wanted to include Border Patrol and maybe the Marshall Service (a random tack on charge?) to triple the numbers, you are still probably looking at only 5-10k people a year. But I think even that is way too generous. The federal government does not chase low level crime, they only have the resources and money for high value targets.

Edit Edit: I just looked again at the PDF, and it appears that on average US Attorneys go to court for about 37,000 Drug related cases a year. That includes ALL drug cases, from intent to distribute with bodily harm to low level possession. No matter how you slice it, it's a very low number amount of people.
    Last edited by Zavon; 05-13-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    Good.

"The budget calls for about $800 billion in cuts to Medicaid for fiscal year 2018, WaPo reported."

Excellent. Having worked in Medicaid, I can't stress enough how much of our taxpayer dollars are wasted on this program. I audited somewhere in 100's of medicaid providers for fraud, waste, and abuse; and I can tell you from that experience that an average of 30-40% of all billing was recoupable. That's counting the legit medicaid programs too, like an Oncologist office. When you get into mental health services, you can probably slash ALL funding (but that varies state to state).

Good.

"The budget calls for about $800 billion in cuts to Medicaid for fiscal year 2018, WaPo reported."

Excellent. Having worked in Medicaid, I can't stress enough how much of our taxpayer dollars are wasted on this program. I audited somewhere in 100's of medicaid providers for fraud, waste, and abuse; and I can tell you from that experience that an average of 30-40% of all billing was recoupable. That's counting the legit medicaid programs too, like an Oncologist office. When you get into mental health services, you can probably slash ALL funding (but that varies state to state).
    You don't even have to tell me. My software can often scrub 20%+ off a medicaid/medicare bill before any human intervention with entirely autonomous shit.