+ Reply to Thread

Default Autism strikes again?

I'm always a day or so behind on some stuff because I have to catch it on Hulu but this morning I was watching GMA and they did a little piece about that autistic guy that was lost at sea when the boat he and his mom were in went down. Turns out he is under investigation not only for intentional sinking of the boat but for the murder of his Grandfather 3 years earlier. It was reported the police wanted to arrest him but a judge wouldn't sign the order. If this case goes any further I think I may use it as a catalyst to ruffle some feathers on Facebook lol.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Default Re: Autism strikes again?

Good lord. You really are a deplorable human being.

Quote Originally Posted by smeekins View Post
    Good lord. You really are a deplorable human being.
    Heeeeey, that's what Hillary called me!! Deplorable and proud!

When I say ruffle some feathers I mean open up some dialogue, get some people thinking about something than other "how can I kiss my kids ass more" so that they think about the responsibilities of having a kid with a disorder. I've got some friends with aspergers kids and they think they're all fucking Corky from Life Goes On and can do no wrong and would throw themselves in front of a bus to save a kitten, that kind of bullshit. Anytime there is a conflict at school/etc they automatically assume their aspy is getting bullied when according to a bunch of the parents of children from the same school the aspy kid is constantly baiting and "trolling" people and that's why they keep running into conflicts. The trolling often times turns physical but WTF do you do? Call 'em up and say "Hey Bubba, just FYI, Karen, Cindy, Joe and Barbara all say their kids come home and say your kids a fucking douche and is hitting the otgher kids at school and throwing dirt on them and call them whores and that's why he keeps coming home with a black eye!".

NO GO FLOW JOE. It's much better to open up an academically supported and thorough "since this is in the news" type facebook post, that way you can put them on their heels from the get go and it doesn't turn into mud slinging victimization contest.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Putting aside the implications of using the deaths of three people to take deluded parents down a peg on facebook, I can't imagine using the rather extreme example of an autistic person committing two murders and suicide to make a statement about the responsibility of raising autistic children in general would change many people's perspective on the issue, let alone some autistic children's parents who are supposedly prone to putting them on a pedestal.

I think you've slightly misjudged this one Silly.
    Last edited by Ziel; 02-09-2017 at 04:26 PM.
    It's going to be a fine day tomorrow. We will have salad...

Quote Originally Posted by Ziel View Post
    Putting aside the implications of using the deaths of three people to take deluded parents down a peg on facebook, I can't imagine using the rather extreme example of an autistic person committing two murders and suicide to make a statement about the responsibility of raising autistic children in general would change many people's perspective on the issue, let alone some autistic children's parents who are supposedly prone to putting them on a pedestal.

I think you've slightly misjudged this one Silly.
    Ohhhhhhhh you don't know me lol.

But what are you talking about? The guy hasn't committed suicide, he's just under investigation for the murder of his grandfather and potentially intentionally sinking the boat he and his mother were on.

There's a whole argument to be made about autism/aspergers and violence. I mean really name a school shooter since Columbine that wouldn't fall into the aspergers spectrum somewhere? Gamergate, we all know it was aspys that harasses the shit out of the female gamers. They stalk online. That one British guy actually ended up getting himself arrested for harassing the family of a young teen age girl that committed suicide.
    Last edited by Sillywilly; 02-09-2017 at 05:04 PM.

I took "lost at sea" to mean they'd died when the boat went down, but even if it's just the grandfather I think the same logic can apply. If you try and start a discussion about the likelihood of autistic people committing violence by suggesting that autistic people in general are liable to become murderers when they grow up and start comparing their children to school shooters and stalkers, you're not going to be swaying any minds.

If you must disturb the hive, something like this might be more productive, if productivity's relevant.

Edit: I'd also suggest if you're sincerely interested in a legitimate discussion on a possible link between autism and violent tendencies, there are probably better places to have it than with the parents you know on facebook. :P
    Last edited by Ziel; 02-09-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    It's going to be a fine day tomorrow. We will have salad...

Good Lord. You really are an adorable human being.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Good Lord. You really are an adorable human being.
    I see what you did there. *snerk*

Quote Originally Posted by Ziel View Post
    I took "lost at sea" to mean they'd died when the boat went down, but even if it's just the grandfather I think the same logic can apply. If you try and start a discussion about the likelihood of autistic people committing violence by suggesting that autistic people in general are liable to become murderers when they grow up and start comparing their children to school shooters and stalkers, you're not going to be swaying any minds.

If you must disturb the hive, something like this might be more productive, if productivity's relevant.

Edit: I'd also suggest if you're sincerely interested in a legitimate discussion on a possible link between autism and violent tendencies, there are probably better places to have it than with the parents you know on facebook. :P
    Thanks for the link Ziel I'm gonna take a look at that.