+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Conan Exiles

Default Conan Exiles

I love that this game has PvE.

That is all.

It's a shitty alpha that my rig can only just barely run on low, but it's like RUST with PvE enemies and RPG stats and that is lovely. I'm on a PvE server just trying it out and learning how things work. PvE = no kids running around yelling on mics and kicking over each others sandcastles.

The nudity slider also applies to others. Set to partial and you're good to go. No more swinging dicks.

My only complaint is that things break way too fast. I have to repair my clothes and weapon after every 1v1 with a mob and my shield breaks after taking two "strong attack" moves from the common retarded ninja turtle enemies in the desert island area where I started.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Default Re: Conan Exiles

Keep us updated on your opinions of the game please. Im MMO jaded lately but I did enjoy Age of Conan a bit and have found myself mildly interested in this game. Good to know I can adjust the nudity slider to get rid of some of the excessive, attention seeking type nudity.

Im keeping my fingers crossed that there is going to be an official RP server.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    Keep us updated on your opinions of the game please. Im MMO jaded lately but I did enjoy Age of Conan a bit and have found myself mildly interested in this game. Good to know I can adjust the nudity slider to get rid of some of the excessive, attention seeking type nudity.
    Kind of bottlenecked at Iron right now... after a solid night of playing I have found almost none. There's no intermediate step between the shitty stick with sharp rocks and an iron sword. The shitty stick with sharp rocks has to be repaired constantly and doesn't do well against mobs outside the starter wastes, so it's kind of hard to explore very far out before I get rekt by groups of hyenas or spiders.

Easy for devs to tweak and fix I would think so I don't hold it against an alpha but it's keeping me from playtesting very far.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    Im keeping my fingers crossed that there is going to be an official RP server.
    When you select to play online you go through two screens where you are forced to pick server types. One of those types is RP. I'm playing on "Purist" + "PvE" servers right now. Purist meaning as the devs intended or damn close. They all seem to just play with harvesting speed modifiers and making the night much shorter than the day. Ten whacks to finish a tree vs five whacks kinda thing.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 02-14-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

So apparently my "Purist" server wasn't so pure. A bunch of stuff was disabled and yet gathering was MUCH higher than the 2x the menu said, and XP was insane (probably due to the gathering since that gives XP).

I've moved to an official server (#215 if anyone cares) and things make a lot more sense. When working properly, regular stone has a tiny chance to drop small amounts of iron. With normal harvest rates and normal XP rates I will have enough Iron to do the basics by the time I am a level to do them. Found myself a nice spot near the SE corner to set up right against the mid level area.

Doing ranged instead of melee this time and it's not really going well. Hard to see where arrows hit. About every other shot seems to be a glitch, where it does not take ammo or send a projectile. Damage seems bad so far, with 5 torso hits required to kill a deer. I'm willing to ride it out to see the high level stuff, but I don't know how I'll take slave thralls without melee.

Thoroughly addicted at this point.

The new bottleneck is wood subcomponents. If you hit a tree with an axe you get lots of wood and a very small amount of "branches". If you hit a tree with a pickaxe you get a small amount of wood and a very small amount (not even garaunteed to get 1 unit per tree) of "bark". In the early game this is masked because you don't use bark, trees are everywhere and branches are littered all over the ground for you to pick up for 1unit each.

Trying to move into the canyons up north has proven difficult, as I could not get the bark and branches to get set up. I'm back at my first home building a stockpile. Then I'll trek back up to make a second attempt. I'll probably be sticking with hide armor for a while, since leather will require leather to repair, which is hide+bark. Hopefully the next area has more trees or we get a new tool or something to get bark.

My only complaint, other than alpha-is-alpha bugs, is that stuff still breaks too fast. I got some iron and made an iron sword, pickaxe and axe just to see how much iron it would take to keep using them. They break almost as fast as stone and use about as much ironstone as stone items take, plus the conversion time/wood to make iron bars for the repair. Keeping them in service away from the iron deposits is simply not going to work. Hence why I'm trying to move up.

EDIT--
    NM... ragequitting the official server(s). They all go down together, they go down very often and they go down without any warning. Plus the game somehow continues to allow me to play for almost a minute. When I get back, I'm ALWAYS dead and have no idea where my body actually is. I've been playing for two hours and all I've done is recover from death twice, and the servers all just went down without warning for a third time.

There's a server setting to not lose your stuff on death, which is... a little too softcore... but that's where I'm going to play until they patch in a warning system to tell me the server is going down in X minutes or whatever.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 02-17-2017 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Thoroughly addicted at this point.

The new bottleneck is wood subcomponents. If you hit a tree with an axe you get lots of wood and a very small amount of "branches". If you hit a tree with a pickaxe you get a small amount of wood and a very small amount (not even garaunteed to get 1 unit per tree) of "bark". In the early game this is masked because you don't use bark, trees are everywhere and branches are littered all over the ground for you to pick up for 1unit each.

Trying to move into the canyons up north has proven difficult, as I could not get the bark and branches to get set up. I'm back at my first home building a stockpile. Then I'll trek back up to make a second attempt. I'll probably be sticking with hide armor for a while, since leather will require leather to repair, which is hide+bark. Hopefully the next area has more trees or we get a new tool or something to get bark.

My only complaint, other than alpha-is-alpha bugs, is that stuff still breaks too fast. I got some iron and made an iron sword, pickaxe and axe just to see how much iron it would take to keep using them. They break almost as fast as stone and use about as much ironstone as stone items take, plus the conversion time/wood to make iron bars for the repair. Keeping them in service away from the iron deposits is simply not going to work. Hence why I'm trying to move up.

EDIT--
    NM... ragequitting the official server(s). They all go down together, they go down very often and they go down without any warning. Plus the game somehow continues to allow me to play for almost a minute. When I get back, I'm ALWAYS dead and have no idea where my body actually is. I've been playing for two hours and all I've done is recover from death twice, and the servers all just went down without warning for a third time.

There's a server setting to not lose your stuff on death, which is... a little too softcore... but that's where I'm going to play until they patch in a warning system to tell me the server is going down in X minutes or whatever.
    Can you compare the game to Rust for me? I know that's a bit of a vague request, but I loved Rust but haven't played in a while and curious how this differs/similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    Can you compare the game to Rust for me? I know that's a bit of a vague request, but I loved Rust but haven't played in a while and curious how this differs/similar.
    Rust:

Conan Exiles:

"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    A lot more life to it. Tons of NPC's. Crocodiles, deer, emu, random NPC exiles ranging from dancer to priest to warrior. Ninja turtles with down syndrome and their eggs/hatchlings. Weird demon imp things that aggro a mile but are easy to kill. Hyenas, elephants, rhinos, rock demon dog things, spitting spiders... plus whatever is in the dungeons I haven't explored much... skeleton warriors... Then there's this evil cursed city area with dragons and shit.

RPG stuff. Strength, vitality, encumbrance etc. Legendary items. You unlock your crafting options with points, but there's a max level limiting your number of unlocks so you'll have specs/loadouts eventually I'm sure. Poise a la dark souls.

Pokemon slaves. All the random NPC's can be pokeballed and made into minions. Seems to be semi-end game. It takes all the second tier crafting stuff to even get started.

MUCH easier to start out. Food all over the ground in the first area, water easy to find. Stone gear is easy to craft, repairs right from raw stone and pwns the starting area. Nothing knows how to swim or attack above eye level yet so it's hard to die if you're not being derpy.

No TC's or locks. Building and stability are about the same but literally anything you build claims a huge radius. I'm not even sure how you deal with that in PvP. AFAIK doors just count as locked all the time unless you're the owner. Ownership is force-shared to your whole clan but I believe that's just the alpha state, I'm sure they'll have a deeper clan system with permissions/ranks later.

More layers and subcomponents, which I think Rust needed TBH.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 02-17-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    ....More layers and subcomponents, which I think Rust needed TBH.
    Basically what I already showed.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Basically what I already showed.
    Ur components are sub...

TBH the durability loss is killing the game for me at this point.

In a game like RUST where it's short bursts of just PvP or a bear or whatever it was fine, but with constant PvE it's just a drain. Once you get to iron/leather it's just this cycle of spending iron/leather to make iron/leather. It makes me want to NOT do things to save iron and that's backwards from the whole draw of having all this PvE. Hell just having to get branches to make arrows makes me not use even starter tier archery in the canyons around the iron. The game needs an entirely different system. Maybe degrade gear to a minimum with lower effectiveness rather than breaking, so you could still continue to play with a dull sword and tattered armor like the brute you're supposed to be. Make it a proactive choice to sharpen up before an excursion if you wanted to.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 02-18-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Yep. Uninstalled after ten days of barely playing.

I really like the feel of the game and the concept. I will check patch notes when I see them posted (STEAM following) but durability loss is making it feel pointless to advance as the gameplay quickly becomes a loop of farming iron to make/repair iron gear, which must be maintained while trying to move up to steel. I even tried doing a character with the cannibal religion that can make gear out of bone and "unblemished hide" but ran into the same issue. The bone weapons and helmet are fragile and require constant repair from PvP materials, making it impossible to just go around playing PvE without farming or carrying huge stacks of farmed mats (in a game with both limited inventory slots and strict encumberance).

I will watch the patch notes and maybe try it off and on. I would definitely return to the game if durability loss was removed, or greatly reduced and moved to some sort of seldom-interacted with repair mechanic rather then *poof it's repaired and you lost a shit ton of materials*.

I don't have a lot of hope though. It has already fallen to the 30's on the steam charts below similar existing games Ark and RUST. My servers I favorited and downloaded mods for are both gone and the official one still reset (crashed?) often and without warning when I last tried playing there. If genre-players are going back to their previous games and game specific players aren't happy I expect we'll have a dead game soon.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 02-28-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Dang. Thanks for the updates VKhaun. I'm on DSL so I've gotten more picky about what I download just for shits and giggles. I'm gonna wait and see if you decide to return to the game at some point before I do a 3 day download marathon just to see if I like it.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

I was reading that this game literally saved Funcom from bankruptcy.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/06/...om-bankruptcy/
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    I was reading that this game literally saved Funcom from bankruptcy.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/06/...om-bankruptcy/
    Yeah, the article is spot on. These survival games have been going nuts but they're all shit to meh quality. There is definitely a vacuum there where a triple A quality game could exist. I'm not sure FunCom can fill that permanently though because it does feel very much like they're aiming to be safe and make money with this release, which means also repeating a lot of the mistakes of previous games to keep with the arbitrary formula. It's alpha though so we'll see.

Coming soon: Trebuchet's, dye system, dungeons according to the vid posted today. Supposedly all coming this month.

Conan Exiles is a fantasy setting though, while firearms are an important benchmark for progression in the other games and there's an even larger vacuum in the industry for a quality shooter MMO. Any other developer could make a high end game like this that has guns and immediately upstage them. Literally no one is making online MMO shooter PvE games except these Zombie survival things. I bet there are lots of gamers following the genre for only that reason and I'd wager The Division exists PURELY because of tricking people into thinking that it was a true shooter MMO.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 03-06-2017 at 08:06 PM.

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    Yeah I get that free with my video card I just bought. I just haven't gone through the rigmarole to redeem it due to being all SQUEEEEEE about Star Citizen.

It's not an MMO though. It's 4-player co-op, which is tricky.

The Division makes this clunky and intentional while Warframe had great success with a very similar system.

The only difference being the single U.I. difference of making everything random queue by default with the first click.

Relevant: