+ Reply to Thread

Default FBI Arrests Man for Tweeting a gif

https://www.cnet.com/news/kurt-eiche...re-fbi-arrest/

I'm really interested about the legality of this arrest.

Sending someone a .gif, that ends up with them having a seizure because of it (or so the guy claims) can constitute assault?

Do you guys agree with this? Do you think it should be illegal to send people certain gifs? Do you want the government regulating what you can and can not tweet?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Default Re: FBI Arrests Man for Tweeting a gif

I think you're going too wide with it. Mailing someone peanutbutter is not assault, but mailing someone with a peanut allergy an envelope full of peanut dust and a note reading "You deserve anafalactic shock for that thing you did" most certainly would.

If this guy blatantly declared he was trying to induce a seizure, sent a flashing gif that's clearly attempting to induce a seizure and says "YOU DESERVE A SEIZURE" on it, then he is asking to be made an example of and we should oblige.

To prevent the issue from going wide, as you describe, I think it needs a few barriers of checks and balances, but I think we have that in place already within the justice system. It's a slope, but it's not slippery. I Would not expect any asshole to be able to send me to prison because I post a funny gif just because this guy goes to prison. It doens't get rid of juries that need to be convinced or defense attorneys that can show it to them.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    I think you're going too wide with it. Mailing someone peanutbutter is not assault, but mailing someone with a peanut allergy an envelope full of peanut dust and a note reading "You deserve anafalactic shock for that thing you did" most certainly would.

If this guy blatantly declared he was trying to induce a seizure, sent a flashing gif that's clearly attempting to induce a seizure and says "YOU DESERVE A SEIZURE" on it, then he is asking to be made an example of and we should oblige.

To prevent the issue from going wide, as you describe, I think it needs a few barriers of checks and balances, but I think we have that in place already within the justice system. It's a slope, but it's not slippery. I Would not expect any asshole to be able to send me to prison because I post a funny gif just because this guy goes to prison. It doens't get rid of juries that need to be convinced or defense attorneys that can show it to them.
    Well, I mean this wasn't something that was mailed it was posted in public on twitter. That may or may not be an important distinction here, but the strange thing is that they charged the guy with *cyberstalking* for it-- which as I understand it is legal mumbo jumbo for, "You conveyed a threatening message".
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Well, I mean this wasn't something that was mailed it was posted in public on twitter.
    Sure, but I doubt that's new to criminal law. I would imagine they have the groundwork already laid to determine if something was targetted or not. Just because he was targeted "in public" doesn't really change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    ... they charged the guy with *cyberstalking* for it-- which as I understand it is legal mumbo jumbo for, "You conveyed a threatening message".
    I don't know anything about that term.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 03-18-2017 at 11:28 PM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.