+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: When Social Justice Goes Wrong

"The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

"The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

The Air Force's newest weapon: The SAPR K9
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    The Air Force's newest weapon: The SAPR K9
    What happens if you were sexually assaulted in dogger style?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

A little Truth circa 1968, still relevant today:

"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

A new Disney Star Wars novel using gender pronouns:

I saw that about Star Wars yesterday. Thankfully I never really cared too much for the franchise, except the Old Republic, and Bioware kinda fucked that up for me anyways.

San Diego Schools Forcing Islamic Lessons on All Students, Providing Safe Spaces for Muslims

Bill Nye the asshole fake scientist cultural marxist guy.

Is it time for right wing death squads yet? I have the right attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post

From Pol:

>Bill Nye shows up on stage riding a Segway with periodic table decals plastered all over it
    >crowd cheers and starts chanting BILL BILL BILL
    >"Alright guys, we're gonna do some SCIENCE!"
    >crowd erupts into a frenzy
    >electronic dance music starts playing as Bill mixes two flasks of identical looking liquid and produces a blue solution
    >the audience is turning genderfluid nonbinary as he's doing this
    >"As I mix these two compounds, I want to remind you that, just like this liquid flask I'm holding, race is a SOCIAL CONSTRUCT!"
    >chants of Black Lives Matter roar through the audience, whites are checking their privilege en masse
    >suddenly a voice from the back of the audience says, "But I have data proving there's differences in IQ between the races!"
    >the music stops
    >the crowd turns immediately silent
    >"Who said that?" shouts Bill Nye as he steps off his segway. "Who fucking said that?!"
    >A lone white male stands up in the audience, with two charts showing intrinsic differences between the races
    >"The facts speak for themselves! Blacks have lower IQ even when adopted by white parents!"
    >deathly quiet tension in the air
    >suddenly somebody starts chanting "Hate facts, hate facts, hate facts!"
    >the crowd joins in
    >they start encircling the white male, their chants getting louder
    >a Pansexual Fairy Sprite starts screeching and hissing in demonic tongues about privilege
    >this is the signal for the crowd to rush the poor white man and tear him limb from limb
    >as this happens, Bill Nye drops his pants and starts masturbating at the carnage, using the flask he was holding earlier as an anal pleasure tool
    >the audience joins in and partakes in a massive orgy of semen and the white male's blood
    >in the midst of this, an AfroAsian queerkin finds the papers used by the white male and burns them with his bong lighter
    >crowd cheers at this spectacle
    >Bill Nye shouts, "That's science!"
    >roll credits

That show was horrible. Clubbing people over the head with WHY DON'T YOU ALREADY AGREE WITH ME. I'm sure Nye has done a video in the past about people trying to appear scientific to deceive you. Someone should cut that over his show. Anecdotal evidence and zero data from a guy in a lab coat holding beakers of colorful liquid.

I hope you're kidding about death squads. The more extreme they get, the more of their base they lose. The same polls they kept talking about last week, showing Trump at the lowest approval rating ever, also showed he'd win again by a larger margin with 97% of his voters voting for him again, and only 80-something% of Hillary's doing the same. The left is bleeding people and even liberal MSM is starting to use "far left" with negative connotation and side against themselves on free speech.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 04-25-2017 at 05:57 AM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

I hope you're kidding about death squads.
    Mostly, give it another 5 years and I'm not so sure.

Canada’s top imam: “Jihad will continue until the Day of Judgment”

Calls for jihad and sharia law by prominent imams are happening right under the noses of Canadians, but they are met with passivity by mainstream media and authorities. Another “top imam,” Syed Soharwardy, has declared that Islamic Sharia is the solution, and that the jizya tax is not discriminatory.

Dr. Iqbal Al-Nadvi (Mohammad Iqbal Masood Al-Nadvi) is the Chairperson of Canadian Council of Imams (Canada’s top imam) and the Amir (President) of Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA) Canada, a nation-wide Islamic organization that is striving “to build an Exemplary Canadian Muslim Community” by “total submission to Him [Allah] and through the propagation of true and universal message of Islam.” He also serves as the Muslim Chaplain of the Canadian army.

Oh yeah, Bill Nye's insane bullshit? It's targeted at 12 and 13 year olds.

To VK: This is why I said give it 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Weak. The context, including the timing, was very clearly limited to climate change and the left is against the cited actions because they're looking at the problem on a different time scale. This is totally dodging the whole issue and unfairly attacking the man.

I know you guys are going to pull that shit about worshiping/blindly trusting science on me so I won't go any further defending him. I have spent my whole life walking the line of being called some sort of blind science follower guy IRL. I'm tired of hearing that shit so it's annoying, but it doesn't go anywhere because I learned a long time ago how to go about it. I'm a fan of Tyson because under the Nye-like PR campaign, when they get into it he is very results-driven and that makes it much easier to skip the whole insatiable skeptic vs fedoraphoric blind follower rigmarole.

Anti-religion talks where his take was the only one that was practical, instead of just bashing.
    Long video, but a good sample is to watch from 20:00 to 22:00.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7rR...outu.be&t=1200

And here's more anti-Islam from him, if that's what it takes for you to reconsider him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vfO...outu.be&t=3220

And here's him trying to keep other people in line getting shit done, and Nye being Nye.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0-jKmcNr_8
    Last edited by VKhaun; 04-25-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Weak. The context, including the timing, was very clearly limited to climate change and the left is against the cited actions because they're looking at the problem on a different time scale. This is totally dodging the whole issue and unfairly attacking the man.

I know you guys are going to pull that shit about worshiping/blindly trusting science on me so I won't go any further defending him. I have spent my whole life walking the line of being called some sort of blind science follower guy IRL. I'm tired of hearing that shit so it's annoying, but it doesn't go anywhere because I learned a long time ago how to go about it. I'm a fan of Tyson because under the Nye-like PR campaign, when they get into it he is very results-driven and that makes it much easier to skip the whole insatiable skeptic vs fedoraphoric blind follower rigmarole.

Anti-religion talks where his take was the only one that was practical, instead of just bashing.
    Long video, but a good sample is to watch from 20:00 to 22:00.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7rR...outu.be&t=1200

And here's more anti-Islam from him, if that's what it takes for you to reconsider him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vfO...outu.be&t=3220

And here's him trying to keep other people in line getting shit done, and Nye being Nye.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0-jKmcNr_8
    Can you explain how he was unfairly attacked? I'm not anti-NDT, in any way, but I fail to see how he was judged on anything other than what he said. My wife is a physicist, an astrophysicist (Like Tyson) and has a masters in nuclear engineering. She watched that video with me. Her response was, ok "why is he saying things that run counter to his usually more reasonable scientific approach". She's ordinarily a big fan of him (mostly due to the attention that he's brought to her field), but thought that he was angry and politicizing something. I think it is a fair question to wonder why he seems to have changed tact.

You seem to be defending him as a person in response to a video that was critiquing something he said. You didn't want to invite comparison to a blind follower, or whatever, but what would you call that?

As far as, "looking at a problem on a different time-scale" is a horseshit statement. No one knows the degree to which man has or hasn't fucked the environment, we can't agree on how (earth is heating up, earth is getting colder) we have fucked the environment much less talk about assigning some mythical percentage to man as though we are guilty by that much. The science is far from settled on how much of a problem we have on our hands, so acting as though (he did in the video) that remaining skeptical of science is a detriment to some grandiose governmental save-all is silly. How can you chastize people for not jumping on board with looking for a solution, when we don't even understand where or what the fucking problem is.

What's more weird, is that NDT isn't even a fucking climatologist. My wife just pointed that out to me.
    Last edited by Zavon; 04-25-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Can you explain how he was unfairly attacked? I'm not anti-NDT, in any way, but I fail to see how he was judged on anything other than what he said.
    In context, he's talking directly about climate change. The video maker threw up a ton of crap from other subjects to make him look wrong about a meaningless hyperbole, for no reason but to unfairly discredit him. You've seen the left do the same thing to Trump whenever he says huge, greatest, worst ever, etc.

"why is he saying things that run counter to his usually more reasonable scientific approach"
    Like what?

You seem to be defending him as a person in response to a video that was critiquing something he said. You didn't want to invite comparison to a blind follower, or whatever, but what would you call that?
    Just defending a person. That doesn't always mean you're in love, brainwashed or blindly following. Sometimes an attack is just unfair.

As far as, "looking at a problem on a different time-scale" is a horseshit statement.
    No it's not. The left is looking at things on the scale of decades where they want to "transform our energy system" away from fossil fuels and leading the rest of the world in doing the same. The right's response has consistently been to duck the whole discussion and answer with anecdotes like China's output or short term costs. If they disagree with the left's strategy that's fine, but they shouldn't take it out on NDT by pretending it's not an issue.
    The right understands this when it comes to entitlements and welfare, that people won't get off their ass as long as they can take free money from the state. The right understands this with defense, that maintaining the military IS a military action while the left would let it fall to shambles. The religious right even understands this with religion. But conveniently with fossil fuels they let it go over their heads as if the fucking energy fairy is just going to come turn our civilization into the jetsons when there's no demand, no investment and no short term need.

No one knows the degree to which man has or hasn't fucked the environment ... What's more weird, is that NDT isn't even a fucking climatologist. My wife just pointed that out to me.
    No, that's not accurate anymore. Global climate is complex. We watched that last major hurricane for a long time, flew planes and drones around it, tasked satellites and heard about it non stop. A mile off the coast and they still didn't know if it was going to make landfall or go north. Computer models were shit and it sounds like they're still weak. Al Gore made tons of doomsday predictions that flopped... it was reasonable to doubt that. But the trend and correlation is not in question anymore and the mechanism never was.
    I have family and friends like Marou that like to poke holes in data and how it's gathered and pretend that puts things in doubt, and for a loong time I was on the fence myself, but the effects have not only become directly observable but corroborate eachother. You can't claim measurements about CO2 are wrong, when they're corroborated by measurements of acidification. You can't claim acidification is wrong when creatures that thrived for centuries are dying off due to acidification. You can't claim one or all the studies measured temperature wrong, when multiple studies using multiple methods look like this:

What's more weird, is that NDT isn't even a fucking climatologist. My wife just pointed that out to me.
    So throw a rock and ask whatever climatologist it hits. -_-
    Last edited by VKhaun; 04-25-2017 at 08:59 PM.

In context, he's talking directly about climate change. The video maker threw up a ton of crap from other subjects to make him look wrong about a meaningless hyperbole, for no reason but to unfairly discredit him. You've seen the left do the same thing to Trump whenever he says huge, greatest, worst ever, etc.

Like what?

Just defending a person. That doesn't always mean you're in love, brainwashed or blindly following. Sometimes an attack is just unfair.

No it's not. The left is looking at things on the scale of decades where they want to "transform our energy system" away from fossil fuels and leading the rest of the world in doing the same. The right's response has consistently been to duck the whole discussion and answer with anecdotes like China's output or short term costs. If they disagree with the left's strategy that's fine, but they shouldn't take it out on NDT by pretending it's not an issue.
    The right understands this when it comes to entitlements and welfare, that people won't get off their ass as long as they can take free money from the state. The right understands this with defense, that maintaining the military IS a military action while the left would let it fall to shambles. The religious right even understands this with religion. But conveniently with fossil fuels they let it go over their heads as if the fucking energy fairy is just going to come turn our civilization into the jetsons when there's no demand, no investment and no short term need.

No, that's not accurate anymore. Global climate is complex. We watched that last major hurricane for a long time, flew planes and drones around it, tasked satellites and heard about it non stop. A mile off the coast and they still didn't know if it was going to make landfall or go north. Computer models were shit and it sounds like they're still weak. Al Gore made tons of doomsday predictions that flopped... it was reasonable to doubt that. But the trend and correlation is not in question anymore and the mechanism never was.
    I have family and friends like Marou that like to poke holes in data and how it's gathered and pretend that puts things in doubt, and for a loong time I was on the fence myself, but the effects have not only become directly observable but corroborate eachother. You can't claim measurements about CO2 are wrong, when they're corroborated by measurements of acidification. You can't claim acidification is wrong when creatures that thrived for centuries are dying off due to acidification. You can't claim one or all the studies measured temperature wrong, when multiple studies using multiple methods look like this:

So throw a rock and ask whatever climatologist it hits. -_-
    I'm not going to get into what the research says or doesn't say, that's not a rabbit hole I feel that will be productive. I'll take what you are saying at face value (Despite having seen things recently that point toward a cooler earth).

Can you tell me what specifically was hyperbole? I didn't see a lick of hyperbole that entire video, and I find it interesting that you think that there is. You are defending a person, which is the kind of thing a blind follower does. You should be defending what he is saying if you think it is sound.

Let's look at what happened. A video is shown, that examines what NDT is saying in a recent video that leftists have been promoting. Some counter-arguments are presented. You go say its all out of context weak crap (despite it addressing specific quotes) and hyperbole, then post a bunch different videos to try to say he is a reasonable person. It's hard to believe you took any kind of an objective look at that video.

I mean, I don't think you are a blind follower, I just think this is a sore subject for you. I am a fan of NDT as well (like I said), but I don't think this video was in any way unfair. Calling you a blind follower wouldn't do any good at any rate, it'd be every bit the same as labeling someone a "science denier" (which is a fucking hilarious term).

As to the left/right debate, I think alternative sources of energy highlight very soundly the differences in philosophy the two have. The left wants some kind of massive overhaul pipe dream (which would attract an idealist like Tyson) and the right (probably correctly) knows that the only way to stop using fossil fuels is to go back to living in the stone age.

Surely, at the very least, even if we can't see eye to eye on NDT, you can admit that by him signaling out Mike Pence as the enemy of an informed democracy, he is taking a side.
    Last edited by Zavon; 04-25-2017 at 09:54 PM.

I'm not going to get into what the research says or doesn't say, that's not a rabbit hole I feel that will be productive. I'll take what you are saying at face value (Despite having seen things recently that point toward a cooler earth).

Can you tell me what specifically was hyperbole? I didn't see a lick of hyperbole that entire video, and I find it interesting that you think that there is. You are defending a person, which is the kind of thing a blind follower does. You should be defending what he is saying if you think it is sound. I mean, I don't think you are a blind follower, I just think this is a sore subject for you.
    Eventually I think most rational people would land where I have. Climate change is irrelevant. The science is not as settled as people act like it is, but regardless, we won't and will not have one world government - and we (Americans) are an insignificant percentage of the world's population. Regulations that make industries move to countries where they are utterly unregulated have the opposite of the desired effect - as such almost all first world environmentalism is virtue signalling. The only thing that could make an actual significant dent in air and water quality is something environmentalists are diametrically opposed to, more nuclear energy.

Eventually I think most rational people would land where I have. Climate change is irrelevant. The science is not as settled as people act like it is, but regardless, we won't and will not have one world government - and we (Americans) are an insignificant percentage of the world's population. Regulations that make industries move to countries where they are utterly unregulated have the opposite of the desired effect - as such almost all first world environmentalism is virtue signalling. The only thing that could make an actual significant dent in air and water quality is something environmentalists are diametrically opposed to, more nuclear energy.
    I think that is a super salient point, and one that was made in the video (if quickly). The only way to stop China/India/Russia from continuing to produced staggering amounts of fossil would be to wipe them off the planet. I guess we could have a good old fashioned world war to bring them all to heel, I bet THAT would be great for the environment. Maybe NDT should head over to China and shame them for not being an Informed Democracy.

Can you tell me what specifically was hyperbole?
    The hyperbole I was talking about was NDT's, not the narrator's. NDT said we had NEVER BEFORE SEEN blah blah blah, clearly talking about climate change and the video narrator went off on him talking about all kinds of other subjects. Tyson himself has given lectures on the topic of what's getting in the way of science. This is an unfair attack on a person who has a career pursuing the author's very same position of things that need to get out of the way of science.

Let's look at what happened. A video is shown, that examines what NDT is saying in a recent video that leftists have been promoting. Some counter-arguments are presented. You go say its all out of context weak crap (despite it addressing specific quotes) and hyperbole, then post a bunch different videos to try to say he is a reasonable person. It's hard to believe you took any kind of an objective look at that video.
    A video is shown of NDT saying a conversation has to happen around (in context: climate) science but there are people in politics that won't let it happen. Some guy from the right makes a video discrediting him and saying the conversation would be pointless. Marou, also on the right, says the conversation would be pointless. QED for NDT. Leftists: 1, Righties: 0. I don't even consider this something "promoted by the left". I consider it something suppressed by the right.

Surely, at the very least, even if we can't see eye to eye on NDT, you can admit that by him signaling out Mike Pence as the enemy of an informed democracy, he is taking a side.
    No... Nye and Pence take a side and run with their teams. They're right or wrong totally by the accident of where their team is positioned on the field. NDT is trying to get something done and Mike Pence's team is in his way today.

"science denier" (which is a fucking hilarious term).
    You seem to be hung up on the terms like left, right and science. Lets try it without the core terms...

Tons of people are unsure if the earth is getting warmer or that it is due to human beings adding CO2. Some people are skeptical and doubt it. Other people assume it and blindly follow people who claim it. A small group of people decide to actually find out. They measure acidification, CO2 levels and temperature in myriad different ways and keep getting the same answers. Other people still doubt, so new people repeat the experiment and find the same results. Other people still doubt, so they also repeat the experiment and find the same results. Eventually, you have a very special thing. It's called an "ANSWER". To choose to go on asking the same question that has been ANSWERED without actually seeking a new answer is denial of the process, the answer and the world around you. This denial is counter-productive.

------------

The science is not as settled as people act like it is...
    Your position on climate science, which I once shared, is fifteen years outdated now. The science was settled when it became directly observable and factors other than temperature started linking up in the data, in ways that can't just be individual mistakes or lies. To claim this today is to claim a conspiracy of global scope and scale, involving literally everyone in the field. You're the one who always holds up data for your side like the rest of the world is ignorant. Calling it unsettled and irrelevant so it can stay unsettled is tragically circular and would never move forward. Go take a fresh look.

Regulations
    Fuck regulations then. This isn't an argument, it's just throwing rocks at mine to avoid the conversation. Use incentives. Use specific areas. Use tax breaks. Use linked tax breaks. Work with rich-as-fuck investors to create something worth investing in. THIS IS EXACTLY NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON'S POINT IN THE VIDEO WE ARE DISCUSSING. The conversation needs to take place but the political right throw up a flurry of misleading bullshit to cast doubt, and then walks away while it's sheeple sit back and rationalize why it can't be done. The video author proved his point, now you're proving his point.

I think that is a super salient point, and one that was made in the video (if quickly). The only way to stop China/India/Russia from continuing to produced staggering amounts of fossil would be to wipe them off the planet. I guess we could have a good old fashioned world war to bring them all to heel, I bet THAT would be great for the environment. Maybe NDT should head over to China and shame them for not being an Informed Democracy.
    Are you out of your fucking mind? Russia and China were just finally getting rid of their actual kings around 1920 when we had tommy guns and infrastructure on our TWENTY EIGHTH president, now they're both trying to be republics. Russia and China didn't have cars until we did and they copied them. They didn't have nukes until we did and they copied them. If we suddenly have an energy grid that's free of fossil fuels you think they're just going to just take a pass this time? You think the Chinese wake up every day and they like chopping their way to work through the smog? You really think the future of the world, our nation or your political party is going to be people like Marou sitting on their asses rationalizing NOT making progress in the obvious direction progress needs to go?

I'll say it one more time and I'll leave it alone if you're too thick. You are looking at this on the WRONG TIME SCALE. It is IRRELEVANT that these technologies don't work today, or that they would not make an impact today. How do you think they get to a point of relevance and impact if not by use, demand and exposure? How do you think they reach a point that they will make an impact? You're telling Orville and Wilbur not to bother because their first plane couldn't go over buildings and therefore was inferior to the automobile.

You guys call yourselves nationalists. Fucking act like it. Damn.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 04-26-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vkhaun View Post
    your position on climate science, which i once shared, is fifteen years outdated now. The science was settled when it became directly observable and factors other than temperature started linking up in the data, in ways that can't just be individual mistakes or lies. To claim this today is to claim a conspiracy of global scope and scale, involving literally everyone in the field. You're the one who always holds up data for your side like the rest of the world is ignorant. Calling it unsettled and irrelevant so it can stay unsettled is tragically circular and would never move forward. Go take a fresh look.

Fuck regulations then. This isn't an argument, it's just throwing rocks at mine to avoid the conversation. Use incentives. Use specific areas. Use tax breaks. Use linked tax breaks. Work with rich-as-fuck investors to create something worth investing in. This is exactly neil degrasse tyson's point in the video we are discussing. The conversation needs to take place but the political right throw up a flurry of misleading bullshit to cast doubt, and then walks away while it's sheeple sit back and rationalize why it can't be done. The video author proved his point, now you're proving his point.

Are you out of your fucking mind? Russia and china were just finally getting rid of their actual kings around 1920 when we had tommy guns and infrastructure on our twenty eighth president, now they're both trying to be republics. Russia and china didn't have cars until we did and they copied them. They didn't have nukes until we did and they copied them. If we suddenly have an energy grid that's free of fossil fuels you think they're just going to just take a pass this time? You think the chinese wake up every day and they like chopping their way to work through the smog? You really think the future of the world, our nation or your political party is going to be people like marou sitting on their asses rationalizing not making progress in the obvious direction progress needs to go?

I'll say it one more time and i'll leave it alone if you're too thick. You are looking at this on the wrong time scale. It is irrelevant that these technologies don't work today, or that they would not make an impact today. How do you think they get to a point of relevance and impact if not by use, demand and exposure? How do you think they reach a point that they will make an impact? You're telling orville and wilbur not to bother because their first plane couldn't go over buildings and therefore was inferior to the automobile.

You guys call yourselves nationalists. Fucking act like it. Damn.
    im being SUPER SERIAL right now you guys MANBEARPIG is real damn it. Do your patriotic duty and hunt him.

im being SUPER SERIAL right now you guys MANBEARPIG is real damn it. Do your patriotic duty and hunt him.
    Just now I edited in a response to your previous post as well. I won't continue to hijack. You guys can have the last word. I'm perfectly happy to throw rocks at stupid leftists with you. The recent muddy jeans thing was hilarious and I caught myself attributing this to the left, even though it is not political on it's own.