+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American Gods

Hybrid View

Default American Gods

Wow... one of the few books I've actually read. I don't even remember how I got ahold of it. My father always had a long list of stuff he wanted me to read, and then there was school. Somehow I ended up with this book instead and it was awesome. TBH I don't remember most of it now. I remember parts about Czernobog. I know who the main God is that they're following. Unfortunately I remember the punchline of the whole thing as well... but it's a really good twist.

Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Default Re: American Gods

It's a great book. I really liked the actors they have picked for the show. I'm stoked for this show. Also, I heard that they are making a series/movie on the book "Good Omens", which is also by Neil Gaiman (and Terry Pratchet).
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

I hope they do it right. I've been disappointed by so many adaptations lately. Gaiman being exec producer gives me some hope.

"The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

I really enjoyed watching this last night.

Ian McShane as always is fucking amazing, and the guy they got to play Shadow (who I already like) did a great job. The scene at the graveyard/funeral had me rolling.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    I really enjoyed watching this last night.

Ian McShane as always is fucking amazing, and the guy they got to play Shadow (who I already like) did a great job. The scene at the graveyard/funeral had me rolling.
    Looks like they really nailed the casting. I look forward to watching.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    Looks like they really nailed the casting. I look forward to watching.
    Wednesday doesn't look tough enough. I had always pictured him as like a white Danny Trejo type guy. "Grizzled".

Bilquis was just flatly not hot enough.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Wednesday doesn't look tough enough. I had always pictured him as like a white Danny Trejo type guy. "Grizzled".

Bilquis was just flatly not hot enough.
    I agree completely with Bilquis. HOWEVER, I will say that if they were intentionally going for washed up goddess, then maybe I can suspend my belief.

Also, can you imagine trying to watch that show if you hadn't read the book? It would probably be utterly incomprehensible-- I bet it doesn't do so well to people that haven't read it.

As for Ian McShane as Wednesday, I can't picture anyone that would be better. He was cunning, charismatic, and used to getting his way. Did you ever see the show Deadwood? I could be bias toward McShane because I'm used to him playing a brutal cut throat.

This might be par for the course for these type of shoes, but the gratuitous sex scenes are just too much. I'm very close to giving up the show completely. The original episode had Bilquis stuffing a person in her Vag, and that was fine, I assumed it was a one off. Then following episode had her stuffing half a dozen people in her vag, and I was starting to get sick to my stomach-- felt unnecessary. Then, this most recent episode we get a 5-10 minute gay muslim fuckfest complete with erect penises and flaming loads going into peoples bodies. Even trying to skip through the fucking scenes (the last two with Bilquis and the gay muslims), I feel betrayed by Gaiman.

WTF @ Random full CGI scene at the start of this episode. That part of the book was something I was looking forward to, too. That was horrible. Looked like some CGI Disney movie about insect people.

EDIT--
    "You're an asshole dead wife!"

ROFL
    Last edited by VKhaun; 05-28-2017 at 07:48 AM.

After I made this complaint, I watched last week's episode and it turned out to be the best one of the series. It was an entire episode devoted to Laura. There was only one small sex scene that was necessary to show the relationship between her and shadow. It has renewed my faith in the show (pun) if only temporarily.