+ Reply to Thread

Default FFXIV Macro Discussion

For weeks, I haven't been able to get good info on macros. Everyone in-game and in guides/discussions seems to assume you're using wait commands to try and use multiple on-GCD abilities with a single keypress. What I have been doing is adding multiple off-GCD abilities to one on-GCD skill so I don't have to press them separately.

Tonight a guy posted this:

I understood the queuing issue but it seemed like "mashing" the button would immediately cause the action to start as soon as it could.

At first I took the third example to mean they simply were not "Mashing" the button fast enough but I went and tested on the dummy outside the house and it seems the game actually needs to take some time per available ability to check each line of the macro, creating a teeny, tiny delay that can be seen by watching the little clock hand of the GCD swing around while spamming these macros. If I make a macro that just duplicates the on-GCD skill (/macroicon "skill" and /ac "skill") it works perfectly with mashing and I do not see the issue in the pic. Adding one off-GCD it still works perfectly. Adding two it starts to hiccup at the skill change. As I add more and more it slows down more and more, even though it still works as expected and only does 2:1, it still slows down more proportionate to the number of abilitites off-cooldown that it has to check. Once everything has been done and is on cooldown, it starts working at full speed again.

This doesn't translate to losing tons of actions and time over a fight like they say, because once everything is on cooldown you're only doing one off-GCD at a time as they come off cooldown. For Bard it's nice having a ton of crap on the Heavy Shot key because by the time I get to Heavy Shot everything is up anyway and all Heavy Shot needs to do is refresh all the off-GCD buffs and instas as they comes back or proc, and if I just want to be lazy I can be lazy with the same setup. For something like a Dragoon opening rotation though... probably wrecking my DPS in the first 20sec.

Here's the trick though... if I compensate by taking half the off-GCD stuff off the macros and queing them manually...

(This works, but might only work because of skill speed on my Paladin. May not work in PotD... I hit the on-GCD macro, then the real buff key to queue it, then start spamming the macro for the next on-GCD. Gets you 2:1 without slowing down the on-GCD skills and still saves a ton of buttons.)

...I create MORE DELAY later, because the buffs come back off cooldown in pairs more often, so I'm constantly having to do 2:1 later in the fight. If I eat the delay and lose a few actions worth early in the fight, the whole rest of the fight is flawless because they're coming back staggered and I can let the macro do 1:1 the whole time.

So overall it's not as good as I thought, but it's still very useful.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 04-20-2017 at 03:52 AM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Default Re: FFXIV Macro Discussion

There are no solutions for when you want to be lazy. There are no "relaxing" classes and I can't think of one end game activity requiring combat that is slow paced. The best you can do is play DPS and you happen to like DPS that while not overly hard, takes a lot of attention to do properly. There are way too many buttons for some classes but here is hoping that they fix that in stormblood.

I still think the easiest class to play is Ninja. I think a lot of people believe Monk is easiest. Granted, we are on the tail end of Heavensward, which means we out gear everything and everything now seems very easy. It is when you are new to content, barely meeting ilvl when shit gets cereal. That is when the game is at its best.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 04-20-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Do you like basghetti?

I knew, ever since that day, the reason you had approached me, tender and soft, that my body is to your taste. To your hunger stricken eyes, how does my body seem? If you are to eat me, do it in one blow, so that the meat does not get hard. - Menchi, The Emergency Ration

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    For weeks, I haven't been able to get good info on macros. Everyone in-game and in guides/discussions seems to assume you're using wait commands to try and use multiple on-GCD abilities with a single keypress. What I have been doing is adding multiple off-GCD abilities to one on-GCD skill so I don't have to press them separately.

Tonight a guy posted this:

I understood the queuing issue but it seemed like "mashing" the button would immediately cause the action to start as soon as it could.

At first I took the third example to mean they simply were not "Mashing" the button fast enough but I went and tested on the dummy outside the house and it seems the game actually needs to take some time per available ability to check each line of the macro, creating a teeny, tiny delay that can be seen by watching the little clock hand of the GCD swing around while spamming these macros. If I make a macro that just duplicates the on-GCD skill (/macroicon "skill" and /ac "skill") it works perfectly with mashing and I do not see the issue in the pic. Adding one off-GCD it still works perfectly. Adding two it starts to hiccup at the skill change. As I add more and more it slows down more and more, even though it still works as expected and only does 2:1, it still slows down more proportionate to the number of abilitites off-cooldown that it has to check. Once everything has been done and is on cooldown, it starts working at full speed again.

This doesn't translate to losing tons of actions and time over a fight like they say, because once everything is on cooldown you're only doing one off-GCD at a time as they come off cooldown. For Bard it's nice having a ton of crap on the Heavy Shot key because by the time I get to Heavy Shot everything is up anyway and all Heavy Shot needs to do is refresh all the off-GCD buffs and instas as they comes back or proc, and if I just want to be lazy I can be lazy with the same setup. For something like a Dragoon opening rotation though... probably wrecking my DPS in the first 20sec.

Here's the trick though... if I compensate by taking half the off-GCD stuff off the macros and queing them manually...

(This works, but might only work because of skill speed on my Paladin. May not work in PotD... I hit the on-GCD macro, then the real buff key to queue it, then start spamming the macro for the next on-GCD. Gets you 2:1 without slowing down the on-GCD skills and still saves a ton of buttons.)

...I create MORE DELAY later, because the buffs come back off cooldown in pairs more often, so I'm constantly having to do 2:1 later in the fight. If I eat the delay and lose a few actions worth early in the fight, the whole rest of the fight is flawless because they're coming back staggered and I can let the macro do 1:1 the whole time.

So overall it's not as good as I thought, but it's still very useful.
    You need to setup and run advanced combat tracker. It ends up pretty bad even when it seems okay. Based on my experiments we're talking about 10+% loss of actions. It's why I use macros for sorting inventory and other innocuous shit but don't touch them for combat.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Can you post the macro that sorts inventory? Very interested in that.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Can you post the macro that sorts inventory? Very interested in that.
    Sort Armoury
    ----------------
    /isort clear armoury
    /isort condition armoury mdefense des
    /isort condition armoury mnd des
    /isort condition armoury int des
    /isort condition armoury defense des
    /isort condition armoury dex des
    /isort condition armoury defense des
    /isort condition armoury str des
    /isort condition armoury ilv des
    /isort condition armoury control des
    /isort condition armoury craftsmanship des
    /isort condition armoury perception des
    /isort condition armoury gathering des
    /isort execute armoury

Sort Inventory
    ----------------
    /isort clear inventory
    /isort condition inventory stack asc
    /isort condition inventory ilv des
    /isort condition inventory category asc
    /isort condition inventory tab
    /isort execute inventory

Sort Retainer
    ----------------
    /isort clear retainer
    /isort condition retainer stack asc
    /isort condition retainer ilv des
    /isort condition retainer category asc
    /isort condition retainer tab
    /isort execute retainer

----------------------------------------------------

Retainer inventory must be opened for the last macro to function. To use it open retainer inventory, then execute the macro from the macros window.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."