+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ancestry DNA

Default Ancestry DNA

There is a sale right now going for AncestryDNA.

Have any of you guys done this before? What is your ethnicity make up?

I'm seriously thinking about doing it.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Default Re: Ancestry DNA

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    There is a sale right now going for AncestryDNA.

Have any of you guys done this before? What is your ethnicity make up?

I'm seriously thinking about doing it.
    I've never done it. I'm mostly Irish, some confirmed Native American (grandmothers grandmother was 100% Cherokee) and perhaps some English and German on my mothers side. I would definitely love to try it but the only reason I've made no serious effort is I'm not so sure I trust their accuracy yet.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

I thought about it but then was like meh. My mother's side is Italian and Irish, my dad's side is Indian (feather, not dot) and white something (no idea what, he is has Indian coloring for the most part). Works good enough for me.

I'd lay bets that M is mostly German, he is an Aryan poster child.

Do you like basghetti?

I knew, ever since that day, the reason you had approached me, tender and soft, that my body is to your taste. To your hunger stricken eyes, how does my body seem? If you are to eat me, do it in one blow, so that the meat does not get hard. - Menchi, The Emergency Ration

I know I'm mostly German, some extended family fought in WW2 (on the German side). My great grandmother on my mother's side is pure Cherokee, so those Cherokee got around. I wouldn't do the ancestry.com thing because I don't care that much and they sell the data. They should be paying me if they are gonna sell my genetic data. Offends my sensibilities.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and get one of these. The father's day special is occurring right now for 79 dollars.

I'll be sure to post once I find out I'm half nigger.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Paternal Gfather - Norway Immigrant
    Paternal GMother - Austrian Immigrant

Maternal GMother - 1st Generation Irish American
    Maternal Gfather - English/Irish Immigrant

I'm white as can be mother fuckers, and I don't need some website to tell me that.

Whelp, I spent the entire fucking day digging into the rabbit hole of Ancestry.com Family Tree and www.findagrave.com.

I learned that 1.) I'm probably not Irish at all, as an ancestor changed his last name to (probably) marry another woman back in 1860. 2.) That I can trace a direct male lineage of English ancestry all the way til 1535.

Alright, I got my results back from the DNA thing:

86% - Europe (31% Ireland, 28% Great Britain, 18% Western European, 5% Eastern European, 2% Scandinavian, 1% Iberian)
    6% - African (Mali 3%, 2% Togo, 1% North African)
    5% - West Asian (4% Caucasus, 1% Middle East)
    3% - Native American

Turns out, ya'll niggas owe me reparations.
    Last edited by Zavon; 07-15-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Alright, I got my results back from the DNA thing:

86% - Europe (31% Ireland, 28% Great Britain, 18% Western European, 5% Eastern European, 2% Scandinavian, 1% Iberian)
    6% - African (Mali 3%, 2% Togo, 1% North African)
    5% - West Asian (4% Caucasus, 1% Middle East)
    3% - Native American

Turns out, ya'll niggas owe me reparations.

HAHA you're a nigger!!!

But seriously, do you suspect yourself of actually having any black or asian ancestry at all or do you think the DNA test was bogus?
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

I have a great great great grandmother that is on the Dawes roll. This allows me (and my family) to be part of the Cherokee tribe. Based off of what my family always told me, I figured I'd have a shit ton of Native American. I have a sneaking suspicion that my ancestor on the Dawes was probably half black.

Also, according to the test I'm part sand nigger too. Ya'll just hand over your money and ur womens, and everything will be ok.

I 100% think it's accurate. Any area less than 4.5% is low confidence. For instance, it says I'm 3% Mali, so that ethnic group is listed as low confidence.
    Last edited by Zavon; 07-15-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Can they determine how far back a certain bit of DNA got into the mix? Are we talking about DNA from 10k years ago?
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    Can they determine how far back a certain bit of DNA got into the mix? Are we talking about DNA from 10k years ago?
    Someone from Reddit answered this question, I'm gonna cut paste it:

There's a lot of variation that can occur in genetic heritiage, since while you are 50% of each of your parents, you aren't likely to be exactly 25% of your grandparents. This is because your father passed on 50% of his genes, selected at random, as did his mother. He might have passed on more of his father's than his mothers, etc.

That said, if we take an average value of each parent being 50%, and grandparent being 25%, and so-on, it only takes 7 generations before you reach just 1%. At 10 generations you have 102 which is 1024 ancestors. At that point, one ancestor at 10 generations would represent just 0.1% of your DNA.

To that end, I have on 23&Me 0.1% African DNA. This sounds almost negligible, but in reality it puts one African Ancestor at the same time generationally as numerous, potentially near 100 colonial ancestors, several of which arrived as early as 1610's. This puts into play the possibility that one of my colonial ancestors may have been a slave of African origin.
    The reason why ethnicity / heritage works as well as it does (which isn't perfect by any means) is that most cultures were fairly insular for most of the thousand years leading up until the Age of Enlightenment (late 1600's, early 1700's). Thus most people residing in a certain area shared a certain amount of genes after enough time.

There are plenty of exceptions though... One great example is how a Roman Army fled from certain death into China, settled, and the current residents share 56% Caucasian blood, including green eyes. These people have inhabited this part of North-Western China for over 2,000 years, but ethnically they are around 1/2 Caucasian.

This happens all over, and it's an important reason to take into account the history of a region you're researching. Many English have Aglo-Saxon roots, as well as French roots, due to the occupations by either. Some cultures were known to occupy great swaths of land and take wives in order to dilute the pre-existing culture and heritage. Some cultures were also known to have traded women or other slaves across borders, far from their homelands.

TL/DR: The DNA can tell you the ethnicity, but not the history... Being primarily of English decent doesn't mean the history of your ancestors occurred entirely in England.
    From what I gather they only go about 300 years or so back.

To tack on to that last statement (or maybe clarify): They only got back about 300 years, because past that, the DNA that is there is too trace to matter. I mean, I really would *Love* to fucking know if I had a Chinese ancestor 8,000 years ago but how would they even report such a thing? The report would have to be staggeringly massive to account for all that history. That ancestor would make up like 0.00001% of my DNA.

It would be amazing if you could just see, even for a moment what all your ancestors lived like and what kind of person they were. I bet I got some real shit brains in my lineage.

To tack on to that last statement (or maybe clarify): They only got back about 300 years, because past that, the DNA that is there is too trace to matter. I mean, I really would *Love* to fucking know if I had a Chinese ancestor 8,000 years ago but how would they even report such a thing? The report would have to be staggeringly massive to account for all that history. That ancestor would make up like 0.00001% of my DNA.

It would be amazing if you could just see, even for a moment what all your ancestors lived like and what kind of person they were. I bet I got some real shit brains in my lineage.
    Another thing to note that I've seen said but cannot source is that these DNA tests really only compare you to what the DNA of that 'race' looks like now/in their 'control' DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    Another thing to note that I've seen said but cannot source is that these DNA tests really only compare you to what the DNA of that 'race' looks like now/in their 'control' DNA.
    That's a damn good point. The only DNA they would really have to compare it to would be modern day versions which are likely heavily mixed at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    A big selling point for the DNA test is the "Genetic Community" (of which they found 3 that I am assigned to).

A genetic community is: Genetic Communities™ are groups of AncestryDNA members who are connected through DNA most likely because they descend from a population of common ancestors, even if they no longer live in the area where those ancestors once lived. For example, some Genetic Communities trace their roots back to groups of people who were isolated geographically. Mountains, rivers, lack of roads, or other barriers made it likely that each new generation would marry someone who lived close to home. Others have their roots in groups who typically married others of the same religion or ethnic group. In each case, these groups came to share a significant amount of DNA. Modern-day descendants who inherited some of that DNA make up Genetic Communities.