+ Reply to Thread

Default Black Desert Online Steam Sale

Hey all! I was thinking about purchasing BDO since it is only 5.99 at this moment. I finally have a PC that can handle modern games and have been itching to get into an MMO again. Was just curious to see what some of the Cata folks have to say about it. =D
    "Politics is just a game with two sides who oppose each other on social issues pretending to be at war over economic issues because arguing you have the better budget gives the illusion of intellectual superiority as opposed to fighting over a difference of opinions."
    - Sillywilly

Default Re: Black Desert Online Steam Sale

It's a damn good game, I'll list the pros and cons.

Pros:
    • Amazing Combat
    • Great Open World
    • Fantastic Graphics
    • Crazy amount of things to do

Cons:
    • Horrible Grindy gear upgrade system
    • Crazy grinding for levels (but it's fun)
    • Open PvP combined with huge gear/level gaps from level 50+

If you haven't played it, it's totally worth playing. You'll get a ton of fun out of it. It's just so complicated (the world, the systems, the combat) that it's really hard to come back to if you take a break.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Is this game free to play or does it have a sub?
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

It's buy to play. No sub fee, but they do have a premium shop with the standard premium shop type of shit in it (cosmetic outfits, xp boosters, etc).
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by Marou View Post
    It's buy to play. No sub fee, but they do have a premium shop with the standard premium shop type of shit in it (cosmetic outfits, xp boosters, etc).
    Ahhh. I may try to get this one then. 6 bucks isn't bad for a sandbox mmo to dick around in.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Awesome stuff! Gonna grab it then! What server did you guys play on? Just in case you ever decide to delve back into it? =)
    "Politics is just a game with two sides who oppose each other on social issues pretending to be at war over economic issues because arguing you have the better budget gives the illusion of intellectual superiority as opposed to fighting over a difference of opinions."
    - Sillywilly

Quote Originally Posted by Cadamer View Post
    Awesome stuff! Gonna grab it then! What server did you guys play on? Just in case you ever decide to delve back into it? =)
    Orwen IIRC.

This is one of those games that I wish had native gamepad support.

Sure I probably could've rigged a setup to play with a controller but I never got around to it.

Some of the combo's are just incredibly key/twitch dependent and a keyboard just doesn't feel right for it.

I did love the combat in this game though, but that was the thing. I found myself just out slaughtering Mobs with no clear purpose and no huge community to keep me engaged. I keep hovering over the reinstall button but it's also another issue of my 5y/o computer not hitting it out of the park with performance as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    I did love the combat in this game though, but that was the thing. I found myself just out slaughtering Mobs with no clear purpose and no huge community to keep me engaged.
    This really surprised me about BDO. I had always blamed my inability to play MMO's long-term on tab targetted combat but BDO was nearly perfect. Plus it had both bosses and big crowds to fight. I also love how phone games have you build villages and their system of thralls was awesome. But somehow I still lost interest rather quickly...
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    This really surprised me about BDO. I had always blamed my inability to play MMO's long-term on tab targetted combat but BDO was nearly perfect. Plus it had both bosses and big crowds to fight. I also love how phone games have you build villages and their system of thralls was awesome. But somehow I still lost interest rather quickly...
    What are you talking about with phone games?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    What are you talking about with phone games?
    There's this thing mobile games do, where you can build up some sort of base. Not like clash of clans. But like an ARPG game, where as you play the ARPG you also earn enemy tokens like equipment and can build a little base of enemies you level up, trap rooms you level up, etc. Then other players can come fight it. I love those sorts of secondary systems. BDO isn't PvP related but it's still there, with the workers and crafters and investment in areas.

Also, I downloaded the game to check in. They gave polearms to my class! And they're beefy, heavy, choppy polearm moves! I probably have a long way to go before I can "awaken" and use them, but still, I'm going to have to play this some more when I have time.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

I installed last night too and was greeted with some new classes to look at.

Ninja looks like my cup-a-tea.

And FYI to readers, it's all one sever now. They still have it divided up into... channels?... that separate players. They also have a set of channels where players can only go if they're lv58 or less. On these channels you get double XP between lv30 and 58 (up to 58.99). I guess so bots don't stop people from leveling?