+ Reply to Thread

Default Secret World Legends

Secret World Legends is the reboot of The Secret World and launches on 26 June (unless you want to play through Steam, in which case the launch is delayed until late July due to crowded market conditions). The original TSW will be kept around on life support for those who prefer tab targetting but will not get any further updates.

The changes include making the combat system more action oriented, doing away with the ability wheel and going to skill trees, and a revamp to the item system.

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvHvcF0-pk0
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Default Re: Secret World Legends

Thanks! I'll have to go back and check this out again. If ever there was a game that needed to downsize from MMO to multiplayer it was TSW...
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

I'd agree. I actually loved the world/quests/lore in secret world. It made me think and draw upon my (out the game) knowledge like no others. The horrible combat is what kept me from being a huge fan. What was shown in that video still looked kind of janky, but I'll try it again.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

Yeah, the combat was the only thing that stopped this game from being top notch. It was so GD tedious, I wanted to kill myself before I left the first area (that New England Town). The quests were so fucking good though.

Edit: Just watched the video. It is my hope that they go beyond making the combat "more action oriented". Watching him kill mobs, it still took way too fucking long. I don't want combat to be more of a button mash, I want SHIT TO DIE. That was my issue before, it took way too fucking long for something to die. I hope they make this game more like GW2.
    Last edited by Zavon; 05-28-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Yeah, the combat was the only thing that stopped this game from being top notch. It was so GD tedious, I wanted to kill myself before I left the first area (that New England Town). The quests were so fucking good though.
    I seem to remember someone tried to argue with me for a few pages that spamming the builder key over and over again was better and different from having an auto attack... I need to go find that thread tonight, tilt my head back and laugh to myself at whoever that was. Pyrrhus? Bragi?
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

I am playing the original TSW with dual pistols and elementalism and my partner has swords and chaos magic and the bad things die really fast, but we are still on Kingsmouth so who knows what the higher levels will offer.

I build up energy (whatever they call it) and then unleash the consuming power, I don't think just spamming the builder gets the job done.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    I build up energy (whatever they call it) and then unleash the consuming power, I don't think just spamming the builder gets the job done.
    Right but it's silly that you have to spam the key for the builder. It's just more input for the same effect as an auto attack. It should always have been a shooter or an mom w/ auto attack. Fucking Funcom at it again with their bullshit control schemes pawned off as depth and action.

Haven't there been other games where we had to use an attack to build power for an advanced attack?

Haven't there been other games where we had to use an attack to build power for an advanced attack?
    Sure. It's not my favorite but I have no problem with building/spending.

The problem was they made you spam the number key over and over again 1,000 times per fight.

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Sure. It's not my favorite but I have no problem with building/spending.

The problem was they made you spam the number key over and over again 1,000 times per fight.
    Yeah cuz the god damn mobs took forever to kill. Nothing like shooting a zombie with a shotgun 1400 times to feel accomplished.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

SWL launches tomorrow for anyone who was in the beta.

SWL launches tomorrow for anyone who was in the beta.
    For non-betas like us it's the 26th right? I remember thinking it was weird it was a Monday. I'll definitely be on next week. I've been in that mood again for a shooter/mmo type game. SWL is the closest thing available.

Right, although I don't recall the exact grouping, it might also include people with a TSW account already as well, not sure.

The headstart went fine until Sunday, then the game was down much of that day to fix an AH exploit involving what I am told was buying and selling the various ingame currencies for a huge and inappropriate profit.

The headstart went fine until Sunday, then the game was down much of that day to fix an AH exploit involving what I am told was buying and selling the various ingame currencies for a huge and inappropriate profit.
    Just got home from work. Tons of shit going on. Need to sleep and make decisions when I wake up.

Think I'll download this instead.

It's not an action game, just thought I'd point that out. Even though I pick up a target by pointing at it it seems to stay locked because I have shot things I turned away from.

It's not an action game, just thought I'd point that out. Even though I pick up a target by pointing at it it seems to stay locked because I have shot things I turned away from.
    Yeah I played the tutorial and about puked. :/

I think I was kind of hearing what I wanted when reading about this at the same time as looking for an MMO PvE shooter.

Pants and shirt didn't meet so I had a glitchy hole in my ass. They moved the spam button to mouse 1, but now it has a fuel gauge so it runs out and mouse 1 stops working lol. Waypoint for damn tutorial didn't update. Cutscene audio all out of whack at default settings. Tried to recreate my character and the U.I. lost it's shit forcing me to end task and restart. Login says "cannot connect to territory manager" and won't let me go back in.

Into the recycling bin it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    Pants and shirt didn't meet so I had a glitchy hole in my ass. They moved the spam button to mouse 1, but now it has a fuel gauge so it runs out and mouse 1 stops working lol. Waypoint for damn tutorial didn't update. Cutscene audio all out of whack at default settings. Tried to recreate my character and the U.I. lost it's shit forcing me to end task and restart. Login says "cannot connect to territory manager" and won't let me go back in.

Into the recycling bin it goes...
    Had a similar experience. Meh.