+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anthem

Default Anthem

Bioware unveiled their new project at E3 recently, a cooperative multiplayer sci-fi shooter called Anthem. It's a departure for the story based rpg developer because Anthem appears to be a "looter shooter" and on the basis of the trailer is being compared to Destiny and the Division.

The premise of the game seems to involve going outside the walled and defended city into a hostile alien wilderness to complete missions while wearing armoured exo-suits. Combat appears to be a mix of gun play and Iron Man suit play with characters using guns as well as painting a group of targets with markers and firing a cluster of missiles from a suit weapon that seek out the members of the marked group.

A lot of the concerns I read in a few articles revolve around the fact that (A) Bioware doesn't make real shooter games and (B) Bioware is known for role play heavy games not shoot and loot games.

The game genre is listed as Online Multiplayer Open World Shooter, release date is tentatively fall 2018 for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Default Re: Anthem

Never really been a fan of third person shooters. Also I've lost all hope in bioware making good games again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozoron View Post
    Never really been a fan of third person shooters. Also I've lost all hope in bioware making good games again.
    ^
    This.

I've been a huge fan of third person shooters, but the whole time I keep asking why they repeat the same stupid mistakes like locked cameras up your ass with a view angle coming from behind you. If bioware makes a "safe" TPS copying the rest of the genre and does a pisspoor job then it's just going to be a very pretty flop.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

I think the only third person shooter I ever liked was Gears of War. Bioware can eat a dick as far as I'm concerned. I'll never support them again.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    I think the only third person shooter I ever liked was Gears of War. Bioware can eat a dick as far as I'm concerned. I'll never support them again.
    This. I enjoyed Gears of War and I enjoyed Mass Effect. I can't think of any other 3rd person shooters that I've played so they must not have been very good if I did. BioWare has been a big disappointment though. I'm imagining a first person shooter where glitches and bugs abound but there being two distinct story lines so you have the option to homo fuck every single NPC you come up on in the game.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Looking back at my post the only game I can think of that did TPS right was The Division.

I'm not a huge fan of their cover system because the animations are significantly slower than the action they put you in, but the camera was very good. Using the cover system always put your character out of the way, aiming put you way off to one side and even just walking around unzoomed was fine. I did the DoD K98 thing with the boltaction rifle in TheDivision.

I am still so disappointed that The Division turned into a shitty, shallow instanced dungeon runner. It was like the whole world of gaming decided never to do a true open world shooter, gave me the middle finger and said "Go back to warframe!". I played Warframe and loved it for 3-4 years, but the whole time it's been "instead of" a real good MMO shooter game. WHY DOES THIS STILL NOT EXIST!?
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Well, there is Planetside 1 and 2 for open world shooters.

I'm about half way through the Division and having a blast, I like the fact that it is instanced and it is just me and my gun buddy running around. For me nothing ruins the immersion than have 20+ people running around the area I am in scrambling to shoot down the boss before I do. Given the setting of the Division it really wouldn't make sense to have hundreds of agents flooding the streets of NYC, all the bad guys would be dead in about 15 minutes and peace would break out.

My biggest complaint about the Division is the way they redacted the map, I'm over on the lower east side and my old neighourhood is not there, they omitted the even number streets and every other avenue.

As to first person vs. third person, I don't care at all. I'm more annoyed by having my controls based on dumb fuck console controllers instead of keyboards.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    Well, there is Planetside 1 and 2 for open world shooters.

For me nothing ruins the immersion than have 20+ people running around the area I am in scrambling to shoot down the boss before I do.
    Yeah, Defiance was like that on launch day and the noobie zone was like that for Firefall even when it was dying.

I've been playing those survival games though. When you decentralize progress you don't get those bottlenecks at quest waypoints and bosses. I can play RUST with 111 people and only see two of them in an hour, plus the guy who shot me in the back. Saw a little of that on SWG when players could place buildings and make towns.

I was thinking of getting another pve co-op shooter when we finish Division but not sure what to get. Destiny is console crap only.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    I was thinking of getting another pve co-op shooter when we finish Division but not sure what to get. Destiny is console crap only.
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/d...sions-gameplay

Destiny 2 looks to be on PC.