+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,106

    Default Berserk (Spoilers?)

    This is so Zavon's random thread isn't taken over.

    I finished what is out of the Berserk manga.

    GO READ IT! Seriously, even if you only pick it up after the new anime (which leaves you with about 90 chapters to read), you need to do it. Shit is about to happen, Casca is getting her mind back and the last three chapters are inside her head.

    I also want to say that the OVA's and even Marou says the 1997 anime doesn't portray the eclipse right. Watching it was rough but reading it was horrific. Miura did an amazing job at showing you how much Griffith hates Guts. How much he really didn't care about Casca and the lengths he was willing to go to, to make Guts suffer. Griffith didn't do those things just because he had no humanity left, because at that point he still had some, there were still two sacrifices alive. I think the scene from the wagon where Casca goes to change his bandages was foreshadowing. He had heard and seen the change of relationship between Guts and Casca and it made him angry.

    Griffith has a vision right before the eclipse too, that was taken out of the anime/OVA's. He see's himself as an invalid, with Casca taking care of him and a toddler running around who Casca calls Guts. At this point you don't realize this and it is only made apparent in the manga, Casca is pregnant. In the new anime, the weird fetus thing with the one eye, is the aborted baby of Guts and Casca, which you see being miscarried in the manga.

    While I enjoyed the new seasons, I feel like minor details that change how you see people and what is happening are left out. Guts does something to Casca around the middle of the first season and in the manga, you get to see inside his head. See why he does it and what is going on with him. I feel like that is important, because it shows Guts slowly losing his mind.
    Last edited by Aeinna; 06-30-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    This is so Zavon's random thread isn't taken over.

    I finished what is out of the Berserk manga.

    GO READ IT! Seriously, even if you only pick it up after the new anime (which leaves you with about 90 chapters to read), you need to do it. Shit is about to happen, Casca is getting her mind back and the last three chapters are inside her head.

    I also want to say that the OVA's and even Marou says the 1997 anime doesn't portray the eclipse right. Watching it was rough but reading it was horrific. Miura did an amazing job at showing you how much Griffith hates Guts. How much he really didn't care about Casca and the lengths he was willing to go to, to make Guts suffer. Griffith didn't do those things just because he had no humanity left, because at that point he still had some, there were still two sacrifices alive. I think the scene from the wagon where Casca goes to change his bandages was foreshadowing. He had heard and seen the change of relationship between Guts and Casca and it made him angry.

    Griffith has a vision right before the eclipse too, that was taken out of the anime/OVA's. He see's himself as an invalid, with Casca taking care of him and a toddler running around who Casca calls Guts. At this point you don't realize this and it is only made apparent in the manga, Casca is pregnant. In the new anime, the weird fetus thing with the one eye, is the aborted baby of Guts and Casca, which you see being miscarried in the manga.

    While I enjoyed the new seasons, I feel like minor details that change how you see people and what is happening are left out. Guts does something to Casca around the middle of the first season and in the manga, you get to see inside his head. See why he does it and what is going on with him. I feel like that is important, because it shows Guts slowly losing his mind.
    No, people need to read the whole thing. It's worth it. The things you mentioned were like a drop in the bucket compared to the amount (lost in anime translation) and dropped for various reasons. All of the things that feel like they came out of left field in the anime versions were clearly foreshadowed or known in the manga. Even the eclipse.

    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  3. #3

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    I finished the three movies. Apparently the whole gang got branded and were supposed to be rekt as sacrifices, but the skeleton king guy just rides those two out right out after the eclipse/as it ends and flops them right where the new series picks up. Sounds like there's some two years of time missing where Guts left them with Casca but it's the same place. I just didn't remember the bit where they were all branded as sacrifices and them being ridden out. Have to go find the 1997 one now and watch the last few episodes again.

    But first I'm going to need to watch kittens nap and play with things, because jesus christ that shit is grim.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,106

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    I finished the three movies. Apparently the whole gang got branded and were supposed to be rekt as sacrifices, but the skeleton king guy just rides those two out right out after the eclipse/as it ends and flops them right where the new series picks up. Sounds like there's some two years of time missing where Guts left them with Casca but it's the same place. I just didn't remember the bit where they were all branded as sacrifices and them being ridden out. Have to go find the 1997 one now and watch the last few episodes again.

    But first I'm going to need to watch kittens nap and play with things, because jesus christ that shit is grim.
    In the manga, you see the skeleton knight before the eclipse happens. He visits Guts right after he leaves the band, when he is by himself in the woods. This is a YEAR before shit goes down and they decided to take that out of all animated translations, which is confusing, because its fucking important.

    The two years missing between the end of the eclipse and Guts going back is the lost children arc. I am assuming it is left out of the anime because it involved children and not family friendly TV. You also see, before he leaves for two years, the baby getting miscarried, Casca thinking its alive (which it kinda is and man was that scene rough) and the skeleton knight again, talking to Guts. In the lost childrens arc you miss Guts being almost insane and how he really gets Puck.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    This will help fill in some gaps too - Between the manga and the other iterations. But a bunch of super important events were still left out. Examples: Guts being born from a corpse, and raped as a child.

    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,106

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    Examples: Guts being born from a corpse, and raped as a child.
    Not just a corpse, a woman hanged from a tree and had been dead at least a day or so is my guess.

    Or the fact that he relives the rape the first time he has sex with Casca and chokes her in his panic. That scene was incredibly important because he finally opens up and Casca see's a different side to Guts. There is a bunch of conversation during that part left out of the OVA (old anime too?) that shouldn't have been.

    What he did to his rapist and Gambino is important because it happens when he is 11 and starts to shape him as a person.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeinna View Post
    Not just a corpse, a woman hanged from a tree and had been dead at least a day or so is my guess.

    Or the fact that he relives the rape the first time he has sex with Casca and chokes her in his panic. That scene was incredibly important because he finally opens up and Casca see's a different side to Guts. There is a bunch of conversation during that part left out of the OVA (old anime too?) that shouldn't have been.

    What he did to his rapist and Gambino is important because it happens when he is 11 and starts to shape him as a person.
    Also, the fact that after he killed Gambino and ran from the camp (cause they were after him). He was battered, beaten, and was attacked by a pack of wolves. Even being a child still at this point, he does not give up. He fights for his life.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Saratoga, NY
    Posts
    1,034

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    Mobile/App friendly place to read the mangas?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhus View Post
    Mobile/App friendly place to read the mangas?
    I had totally dismissed mang'ing, but... this... if I could read Manga on my tablet I might just do it in bed or on break.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    The full manga on this site: http://www.mangahere.co/manga/berserk/

    Which can apparently be read with this app: http://mangazoneapp.com/?utm_source=...paign=af#page2

    The art starts out very good, and later becomes unbelievably detailed as Miura gets further along/more experienced. The amount of effort and and thoughtful detail put into each panel blows my mind. It's no wonder he's somewhat slow getting new chapters out.



    None of the animated works come remotely close to doing his art justice.
    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,106

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    Tis a bump cause if anyone has kept up with the manga, cause I dunno if Vakwanda or Pyrr decided to read it, new chapters are coming out monthly now.

    Casca's journey is almost over, so excite.
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    It's been a long time coming. Over 10 years since I saw the eclipse episode of the 1997 anime.

    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  13. #13

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    Not that anyone cares, but I laughed.

    "The argument that “people now have more freedom than ever” is based on the fact that we are allowed to do almost anything we please as long as it has no practical consequences."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,106

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    Casca woke up bitches!

    In two weeks we will hopefully know what a non-potato Casca will be like.

    https://readms.net/r/berserk/354/4921/1
    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,106

    Default Re: Berserk (Spoilers?)

    In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of god hovering from above? Perhaps men have no control even over their own will.

    You're right, we are mortal and fragile. But even if we are tortured or wounded, we'll fight to survive. You should feel the pain we feel and understand. I am the messenger that will deliver you to that pain and understanding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts