+ Reply to Thread

Default Mainstream Journalism

Mainstream Journalist is mostly dead and redemption will come from independent media in my opinion.

That being said, I think Tucker Carlson is trying to do good journalism, It's pratically the only one I watch from the big media nowadays

Against neocons:

Against SWJs:

Default Re: Mainstream Journalism

I disagree. Independent media doesn't have the clout and independent media doesn't have the scope.

People going to independent media, like many already go to Huff Post and Breitbart and such, is just an escalation of our refusal and/or inability to confront eachother. Independent media also has a major pitfall in that they can't produce content, so they end up with tons of filler that's just people spinning mundane stories against viewpoints like feminism or race which does nothing but dilute the conversation and push people farther apart as they go deeper and deeper into their own special interests.

Redemption is going to come from the mainstream IMO. Some major network like HBO is going to spend a lot of money and time to make a TV show that is structured debate for spectators. Turn off mics except when it's their turn to answer. Make people answer questions. Put in real moderators that will check sources right there during the debate. I'd like to think that it'll be fair. Realistically it will probably be as one sided and fake as anything else, but it'll still accomplish the goal of jump starting real debate and confrontation.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

I agree that Mainstream media is dead. Fox is the only worthwhile mainstream news now, in my opinion, because half the network are neo-cons that hate Trump and the other half support him. You get a small measure of fairness. I find this incredibly ironic, given that Fox has been nothing but a neo-con mouthpiece for years. I enjoy Tucker Carlson as well, I think he makes a lot of good arguments-- but some crappy ones too.

As for redemption... I don't see it happening, from any source. I believe the internet is what has caused news agencies to fracture into "audience based reporting". The internet is wrecking television, they have to find a way to stay relevant. As long as the internet exists like a wild west frontier, I just can't see how this ever changes. Folks are going to go stake their claim and live in towns that propagate their beliefs. Places like Cats, where we are basically a bunch of autists farting out different ideologies at each other don't hold much appeal to others.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

The reason I believe that rendemption will come from the internet is linked with the reason I believe the media went dead.

On a historical perspective, concentration of power is dangerous. Some decades ago the media in the US (and many other parts of the world) were a lot more decentralized....as was the banking system. Look at the federal government eating away the individual states powers, it's all somewhat linked.

Decentralization is healthy because the numerous vectors generated by somewhat independent points of view insures a more balanced outcome. Look at the catholic church vs protestants. When you get a bad Pope all the Church suffers. When you get 1 bad pastor, just one small congregation suffers.

Centralization made it easy for globalists, neocons and cultural marxists or whatever comes after them to take hold of news networks and sway the nation to their narrative. Much harder if you have hundreds or thousands of agents with dozens of points of view.

VKhaun: "I disagree. Independent media doesn't have the clout and independent media doesn't have the scope."

While that's true now, things are changing and I believe the pace will only increase.

Consider that we are in a transition stage that may take decades to consolidate, the real consequence of the digital revolution / internet are starting to materialize just now (historically speaking), the conventional media were bound to change or die. In it's attempt to survive "unchanged" it consolidated and sold his soul to the highest bidder.....and died. Many big newspapers are on the red for a long time and survive only because some external money (and the strings that come with them) is kepping them alive.

Also Trump is acting as a catalyst for that change...

Zavon: "As for redemption... I don't see it happening, from any source."

If what you say is true (I admit that's a possibility) ....well it's civil war sooner or later (or at a minimum pacific secession)....a country cannot survive indefinitely with it's population having many radical world views for a prolonged time.

"I believe the internet is what has caused news agencies to fracture into "audience based reporting"."

I agree to a point (see above) but if it was like so (the internet per se is apolitical and it's past the academic and the libertarian/geek phase now), the mainstream media would not be leaning left so much, considering that half the country is conservative. There should be more balance among the networks. We don't see that.

"The internet is wrecking television, they have to find a way to stay relevant."

They were comatose. Globalists bought them and SJW infiltrated them....they serve not the "people" now....both neocons and SJW are heavy on ideology....don't you think that's strange? Where the middle point of view go? the average Joe people are not fans of ideologies. Since when true journalism was so attached to ideology? Even ESPN is bombarding the common guy with ideology now...but they just want to open a beer and enjoy a game! That's the opposite of staying relevant! Same thing with Marvel comics.....what comic book fan want Thorina? Or a gay Wolverine?

"As long as the internet exists like a wild west frontier, I just can't see how this ever changes."

I don't have a clear picture of course, but I imagine that slowly out of the chaos people will clump around popular internet voices and sustain it. A large enough following could have national projection. Several of these "newmedia" teams could battle in the national forum

"Places like Cats, where we are basically a bunch of autists farting out different ideologies at each other"

Mine smell like roses!
    Last edited by Sofista; 07-16-2017 at 09:17 PM.