+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fortnite

Default Fortnite

Anyone planning to play Fortnite? I've been looking for a third person shooter and binging on survival games, so I pretty much had to try this. I've only done the tutorial and a few early missions but so far I am pleasantly surprised.

The U.I. is annoying complex. Everything is it's own menu with tons of buttons and shortcuts and it warps around a bit sometimes, but the options are all straightforward. Same thing with building defenses, lots of buttons and options but nothing that was counter-intuitive. Editing panels on the fly feels good. Whole thing just takes some getting used to.

Combat on the other hand is dead simple. Point and shoot. There's no crouch, which is weird, but I don't really miss it. Standard KF style PvE enemies with fodder, high HP fodder and dangerous/disruptive targets mixed in that someone needs to pick out. Initially I was worried because the accuracy appears terrible, like borderlands terrible, from the way the crosshair scales but the projectiles seem to be huge and the ranges are not that long. Everything works pretty much as expected for it's weapon class except AR's feel a little too inaccurate but that'll probably be improved by skills somewhere.

Everything is very considerate of the player. You keep your crafting materials between missions, you can recycle junk and swap your weapons whenever you want, etc. There is a storage space limit though so you kind of need to know what you want to keep or not keep, which as a new player I simply did not.

Weapons, helpers ("survivors") and even your own character (Hero card slot) are all a giant RNG loot fest with tiers of rarity and various stats. XP is actually banked as a currency to use to upgrade all the RNG stuff.

As a pressure release valve for weapon RNG, you have re-usable schematics and individual weapon drops. The game actually has durability loss on weapons with no repair mechanic at all as far as I can tell. Weapons just eventually wear out and break. So the game can be generous and give you lots of guns or have people finding high rarity items, and still leave you with the need to "grind" to find schematics of your favorites so that they're always available rather than being at the mercy of drops.
    I'm kicking myself now (at work) because I can't remember if you can upgrade schematics or not, to just make weapons at top upgrade levels or if you have to upgrade the weapons each time you craft them... maybe both... like schematic level = base stats you upgrade from?

Keep all this in mind when viewing the buy-in packs. The weapons are mostly single-use and not schematics. The heroes are cards you'll probably replace eventually when you find a drop you like. The pinata rewards tend to be single-use but I would imagine there's a CHANCE at getting some schematics.
    Last edited by VKhaun; 07-23-2017 at 07:12 PM.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Default Re: Fortnite

Okay, so apparently "survivors" are also your gear. Again, wierdly different presentation to get used to but it makes sense. They're just like gear and sockets but more flexible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/co...ads_explained/
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

Is this a bunny hopping or tactical game?
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Is the game f2p?
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    Is this a bunny hopping or tactical game?
    Neither. It's a super simple PvE shooter. Jumping wrecks your accuracy and I don't think it helps with speed. There is no tacticalness to the moving and shooting, no cover system. Tactics come from traps and building bases. I think I read somewhere that they intend to do a moba-like mode with two teams making bases and zombies attacking both where there could potentially be PvP between players but so far it's all PvE AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavon View Post
    Is the game f2p?
    No. It's scheduled to go F2Play in 2018. I bought in at the lowest price founder pack for 29.99 just because of my schedule with nights off but it may be cheaper upon release on Tuesday. Not sure.

I'm spending WaaaaaAaaaAAaayyy too much time messing with the interface micromanaging everything, but at the same time I'm having fun. This could seriously be my game of choice for a long time.

They added the one feature Warframe needed forever; random join. You have a button you click on each area that puts you into a random group as a helper and you get bonus XP for doing it! All those dead nodes on the WF star map for all those years... Fortnite did it right. Play whatever you want and people will join due to random queue'ing for +XP and if you don't know what you want you can just jump into something random.

You can even pick between anything (min-max level for the area) or "quest progression" that targets missions around your power level or max for the area.

This looks interesting, I'll be watching it.
    -Make America Nazi Free!

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Bought into this game on Ps4 last night.

Hitting the spot for some shooting/building itch. The card system will keep me occupied for some time I feel.

Outlander's Keen Eyes ability is a huge game changer. The description doesn't tell you but you have to be "in the zone" for it to work, which is weird because some of the outlander classes get keen eyes before they get in the zone.

I've got a blue outlander with in the zone, in the zone speed buff, keen eyes and keen eyes +range. It actually feels rude to play it. I just run around the map speed boosted whacking whatever I pass to stay in the zone and taking all the blue or better loot for myself. Then I run to the objective with my 999 materials and build up to like 80% of the limit and upgrade until the team is ready. I leave the mission with platinum builder badge and a loaded to the gills with loot.

I have one free copy of this game to give out, due to my founders pack.