+ Reply to Thread

Default Super Hero MMO Line Up.

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Default Re: Super Hero MMO Line Up.

Some of those websites scare me. Looks like the stuff 12 year olds were doing back when they got a free website at geocities.

The character models for Heroes and Villians looks pretty darn good though. I've already signed up on the website for Valiance Online because they have said they are dedicating so much focus and resources on RP/immersion. I've definitely found myself in the mood to play either a Superhero MMO lately or an Apoc MMO akin to Fallen Earth.
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    Looks like the stuff 12 year olds were doing back when they got a free website at geocities.
    ^This. lol...

Just by the awful amateur websites I would write off 3/4 of them.

Valiance's archetypes make it look the most promising. They basically took the CoH character design and moved it forward a small step. I always thought there shouldn't even be archetypes and players should just be able to pick the primary and secondary pools of their choice. The only place I felt like an archetype was necessary was with minions and it looks like that's exactly what valiance did. Lots of options and choice for the regular stuff, and then very specific minion classes.
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

City of Titans:

Valiance Online:

Heroes and Villains:

Ship of Heroes:

----------------------------------------

Looks like 2005 is going to be a good year for us!
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by VKhaun View Post
    ^This. lol...

Just by the awful amateur websites I would write off 3/4 of them.

Valiance's archetypes make it look the most promising. They basically took the CoH character design and moved it forward a small step. I always thought there shouldn't even be archetypes and players should just be able to pick the primary and secondary pools of their choice. The only place I felt like an archetype was necessary was with minions and it looks like that's exactly what valiance did. Lots of options and choice for the regular stuff, and then very specific minion classes.
    I really preferred Champions Online, I liked having freeform character power design. I never cared for archetypes, the only CoH character I liked was my storm/control witch. City of Heroes had a better overall game though.

-"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mars View Post
    I really preferred Champions Online, I liked having freeform character power design. I never cared for archetypes, the only CoH character I liked was my storm/control witch. City of Heroes had a better overall game though.
    Champions was very freeform, but freeform didn't result in a variety of creative super heroes. Everyone you saw was a huge mishmash of random abilities just trying to get good results out of the RPG gameplay.

If you want a community of super heroes and villains there has to be at least a little guidance. City of Heroes' archetypes accomplished that much better. By setting up power groups chosen BEFORE character creation people -even people trying to pick the "best" options- at least felt the need to justify their powers when they made their costume and picked their accessories.

Still tons of demons and two tone costumes... but that's how it goes... not everyone who wants to play is terribly creative. :P
    Nowadays when people start to get killed by fireballs, no one says they need to dodge the fireball anymore; they say they need to go get a fire resist ring and some ice damage so they don't have to.

CoT looks promising only for the graphics/animation.

I miss CoH/CoV so hard sometimes... Mastermind/Control was my favorite archetype.

Are there any Superhero MMOs that are still up and running? Or have they all closed down at this point?
    "Nah man, a Paladin has to play fair and by the rules. Do you really see Silly not attacking a weakened opponent? Or rather, not exploiting a weakness to take an enemy down? He'd totally do that. It's the law of the jungle with Silly, even if he does have faith. I think he's principled, just not merciful." - Zavon

Freeform let me build a great power armour character that I could never build in an archetype system, so really I don't care what stupid people with their characters.

We still have the made-for-stupid-console-crap DCUO and Champions Online, both of which are f2p afaik.

And there is the top down/Diabloesque Marvel Heroes Omega.

And there is the top down/Diabloesque Marvel Heroes Omega.
    I actually have that one. I've played it a decent amount, it is kinda fun in some simple way, it's just not deep enough as a game (skills, enemies, etc) to draw me in like the original Diablo or D2 did.

I think I've played both of those other games. Champions more than the DCUO. Neither one really grabbed although IIRC I didn't really give DCUO much time.

I liked CO because I could build interesting characters, power armour (with super strength and armour and several weapon systems), an angel (with a mix of melee, area damage, and healing), an undead ninja that wasn't a vampire, and others. Unfortunately the game itself is not as good as CoH and doesn't have the villain campaign.

DCUO is really short, a friend and I finished the whole storyline in about 2 months and we are casual players, it took us 2 years to get to level 50 in LotRO.

I really like the gameplay of Marvel Heroes. A lot of good stuff in there I wish the genre would pay attention to. The progression was way out of whack though. I got bored of the thin little heroes way too fast for the crazy-specific gear progression with like three layers of crits and a bunch of different mitigation types.

DCUO was shit. The combo system made it feel pretty good and I remember being really excited about playing it when I first got it, but it quickly went to shit. It was short on content in every direction and replay value went out the window once it got to be a grind for gear tokens.

In some ways the best thing about DCUO was wall climbing (something neither CoH or CO could manage to implement), I had a fight on a pvp server between my batman clone and the other guys batman clone. Most of the fight took place while we were running up and down the side of a building.

Marvel Heroes for me was street sweeping, I played Storm and she just tore up everything near her as she flew down the street leaving a trail of bodies behind her.

Marvel Heroes for me was street sweeping, I played Storm and she just tore up everything near her as she flew down the street leaving a trail of bodies behind her.
    Yeah thats pretty much how it played for me. The entire game from start to finish was kind of like doing normal cow level runs in Diablo 2 on a level 80 sorc. Everything was so cheesy easy to kill. It was also one of those games where I felt like I never really completely understood what was going on. All your abilities are so AoE-ish, and everything is so chaotic I feel like I spend most of the game just running in and pushing buttons in random order for no particular reason simply because it made no difference in my effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillywilly View Post
    Yeah thats pretty much how it played for me. The entire game from start to finish was kind of like doing normal cow level runs in Diablo 2 on a level 80 sorc. Everything was so cheesy easy to kill. It was also one of those games where I felt like I never really completely understood what was going on. All your abilities are so AoE-ish, and everything is so chaotic I feel like I spend most of the game just running in and pushing buttons in random order for no particular reason simply because it made no difference in my effectiveness.
    Wow... total opposite. I got bored of the story and went to the open MMO-ish scaling city area. If I stayed in one session I could over level for the one I originally went into, but every time I went in fresh I felt really under powered. Maybe just due to out-leveling my gear. They gave lots of gear box things but I was usually too picky about what I wanted on my hero. Most of the time I had to work my dodges and survival powers, like a lot of the ranged characters had "move away and stealth for 2sec, resetting aggro" on a timer.

I feel like CoH/CoV was the only good superhero game I've ever played. I really wish some triple A company like Blizzard would pick it up or make one. I though Overwatch (Titan) was gonna fill that niche, but instead they made a shitty shooter.
    "Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one." ~ Voltaire

2 Kings 2:23-24: "....Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

I think DCUo counts as a AAA title, even if I don't care for it. I am a bit surprised that Marvel opted for such a small scale and forgettable game to represent their brand, I really wish they'd produce a proper superhero mmo set in the Marvel universe.